Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
What do you think about Python.

I'm teaching myself it right now. Obviously I'm coming from other languages so the transition seems easy.

That being said, Python is amazing. So much that can be done so easily. I'm going to spend the next month mastering it. I've already began porting several of my projects and work into python.

For most high-level use or scripting use, it is damn great. It does have limitations but not for most high level stuff, only lower level things.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Im teaching myself Java now. I'm still in the Mickey Mouse realm of shyt like operators. Looking forward to getting into more conceptual shyt and actually making basic programs. The syntax was :wtf: at first but now I'm starting to feel comfortable. Biggest thing for me now is understanding what exactly I can do with programming and understanding how I can use it to bring value to a company.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Im teaching myself Java now. I'm still in the Mickey Mouse realm of shyt like operators. Looking forward to getting into more conceptual shyt and actually making basic programs. The syntax was :wtf: at first but now I'm starting to feel comfortable. Biggest thing for me now is understanding what exactly I can do with programming and understanding how I can use it to bring value to a company.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, now matter how simple you think it is. I'm here to help. Good luck.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, now matter how simple you think it is. I'm here to help. Good luck.
Appreciate it breh. I'm trying to learn Java and then once I'm comfy with that I'll dive into SQL. See what happens.

I started with Python too. It does seem a lot simpler/easier. But I want to fukk with Java first because it's more widely used and supposedly better performing too.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Appreciate it breh. I'm trying to learn Java and then once I'm comfy with that I'll dive into SQL. See what happens.

Good choices. Once you feel good with the syntax and structure, make sure you begin to understand how things sit in memory, how much space things use, the speed of you program relative to the size of the input or data. That's very important to learn but you can do it down the line.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good choices. Once you feel good with the syntax and structure, make sure you begin to understand how things sit in memory, how much space things use, the speed of you program relative to the size of the input or data. That's very important to learn but you can do it down the line.
Yep I read a little about that in the Java tutorial. One big help is that I do a lot of shyt in Excel, so I already have a pretty solid grasp of operators, Booleans, if->then statements, arrays etc. I'm just trying to get to the next level. I appreciate the help though breh I will definitely be in touch.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yep I read a little about that in the Java tutorial. One big help is that I do a lot of shyt in Excel, so I already have a pretty solid grasp of operators, Booleans, if->then statements, arrays etc. I'm just trying to get to the next level. I appreciate the help though breh I will definitely be in touch.

Honestly, you'd probably be better served starting off with a language like Python because you will learn the fundamental concepts of programming a lot quicker and will be able to actually do functional things quicker without having to worry about all the syntax... or if you're into web development you could start with Javascript or PHP.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Friend, :sitdown:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Kinda off topic, but how much capital are we talking? for the start ups mentioned in this thread to get off the ground. Give me a round about number.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Honestly, you'd probably be better served starting off with a language like Python because you will learn the fundamental concepts of programming a lot quicker and will be able to actually do functional things quicker without having to worry about all the syntax... or if you're into web development you could start with Javascript or PHP.
U may be right. I started with Python but figured JAva would make me more marketable. Def a lot more Java jobs. However just looking at the diff between the "Hello World" programs for both is kinda :pachaha:

Plus there is this pretty good website

http://www.learnpython.org/

Lets you compile right in your browser.

What are the advantages of one over the other... I want to learn to program to become employable.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
U may be right. I started with Python but figured JAva would make me more marketable. Def a lot more Java jobs. However just looking at the diff between the "Hello World" programs for both is kinda :pachaha:

Plus there is this pretty good website

http://www.learnpython.org/

Lets you compile right in your browser.

What are the advantages of one over the other... I want to learn to program to become employable.

It's going to take you at least a year if not more before you get your skills up to become employable, so I would focus on learning to enjoy the act of programming itself and learning the fundamentals. All the programming languages that are "Turing Complete" can essentially do the same things, although some languages such as C have access to hardware that higher level languages like Python don't. You should start off with Python, Javascript or some similar scripting language so you don't have to worry about compiling, etc. You can merely type the code in the browser or interpreter and get your results back immediately, which is extremely useful when you are first starting off.

Once you learn the fundamentals of programming, it will be a lot easier to pick up another language, and you'll be much more well suited to deal with the extra factors that a compiled and more complicated language like Java requires. Just about all the main programming languages have a lot in common, such as loops, conditionals (if, elseif, else), data types (booleans, numbers, strings), etc. You want to learn how to manipulate these elements and learn how to solve problems with programming. Another positive is that you can get a working program up much faster with something like Python or Javascript, which will keep you motivated. If you start out wiht Java, you will be wrestling with syntax and it could make you lose interest.

Another great thing about scripting languages? There are a lot of interpreters that you can run in your browser, so instead of screwing around on useless websites, you can actually spend that time testing programming concepts. Beautiful thing is you can eventually start creating tools that will help you on your current job and give you an advantage over others who don't know how to program.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Start off with Python, learn the programming fundamentals, and then once you get those down, pick up another language like Java when it will then be easier to focus on the additional complexities a language like Java adds. You don't want to start off wrestling with syntax and worrying about compiling while you're also dealing with general programming concepts. You want to get your results back as quickly as possible, which is what a scripting language offers you, so you can immediately see where you are making logical errors and you can see immediately how something you are doing is working out.

The great thing about that path is that you'll have a language like Python where you can do quick prototypes or work on elements where performance isn't critical and then have a widely employable language like Java. Python is a great complementary language. Me personally, I still have a very long way to go with programming, but what I've learned is that you shouldn't look to rush the process and start trying to program to 'get the big money.' Learn to love programming and the creative possibilities it offers you because then you will actually attempt to understand the fundamental concepts behind what is going on when you are programming. Once you learn one language, a lot of the base concepts transfers over to other languages. They may be implemented slightly differently, but that's something you will pick up a lot easier once you understand base concepts.

Differences between Java and Python
https://www.udemy.com/blog/python-vs-java/

How Python is used in the real world
https://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/129859/how-is-python-used-in-the-real-world

Is Python worth learning?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/531602/is-it-worth-learning-python

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
My advice is I recommend getting a kindle, or if you're comfortable reading on a computer, download the Kindle app for your pc and starting working through books. It is a lot better and more structured than working through random tutorials you find on the web. A great series of books for first learning a programming language is the 'head first' series. A lot of programming books can sound like gibberish because they are written by programmers who don't necessarily know how to teach programming, although they may program very well. Head First series of books are geared towards teaching you and making things easier to learn. I haven't read their python book, but I did use their html/css and html5 programming book, and they are quite nice to learn from. Grab the kindle app, grab the kindle version of the book, and get to work

Here are some free books:
https://github.com/vhf/free-program...programming-books.md#professional-development

Last edited: