Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Im a freshman CS major with no prior coding experience before college, and I went to sleep last night thinking I havent been doing nearly enough this past year to really be professionally successful.
Lo and behold, this morning, I stumble upon this thread randomly. God is Good:lawd:

I plan to shake things up in my life and focus on my career.

Don't wait on school tot each you... start working on your portfolio pieces today so that as soon as you graduate, you stand out. Learn git and a testing framework alongyour general programming knowledge.

Daps
Im a freshman CS major with no prior coding experience before college, and I went to sleep last night thinking I havent been doing nearly enough this past year to really be professionally successful.
Lo and behold, this morning, I stumble upon this thread randomly. God is Good:lawd:

I plan to shake things up in my life and focus on my career.

I get that feeling all the time. What helps me to stay motivated (or just light a fire under my ass) is going to threads like these regularly. I also read hacker news religiously (Hacker News) although if you read it long enough you can start feeling like shyt ... lol. a lot of smart ppl post there.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Whatever happened to the Arduino experiments you were doing a while back? Did that ever pan out?

I'm getting a raspberry pi 3 soon-ish and I just want to use it as a backup server (for code). Ideally I'd like to turn it into a NAS but I hear that pi 3 isn't the most suitable device. For a NAS I probably need to get a more powerful device.

Anyways im looking for some cool (useful and non-gimmicky) things to do with the pi 3 im about to get.

Man, I've been so stressed out at work this pass following year( It's bad when you are thinking about work after work and on the weekends ) that I really haven't felt like working on side projects. My job kept trying to put me on projects that had little to do with programming or if it was, it'd be in the dead end language vbscript( automation ). I don't want to be a lead on any projects nor do i care for any management related activities, but I guess since I have great communication skills/leadership skills they thought I wanted to be involved in that crap. But all of that is changing come June 3rd, after threatening to post out or go to HR , I'm going over to a team that deals with C#/Coded UI/ TFS only and they only support 1 application. My current team is supporting about 5. Which is just a headache. My lead is horrible, I'm the leader of the team( hence him getting in the way of me leaving ) and about i'm about to blast him on this 360 survey :blessed:

Job rant over..lol

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Motivational Quote From Jeff Bezos on Amazon Echo

"The average latency of existing voice-recognition technology at the time was around 2.5 to three seconds, so the Echo team initially set the goal at two seconds, according to an early team member.

But when the team presented its plan to Bezos, Amazon’s CEO countered with a much more ambitious target.

I appreciate the work, but you don’t get to where it needs to be without a lot of pain,” Bezos told the team in a meeting, according to one early team member. “Let me give you the pain upfront: Your target for latency is one second.”

The inside story of how Amazon created Echo, the next billion-dollar business no one saw coming

Daps
Man, I've been so stressed out at work this pass following year( It's bad when you are thinking about work after work and on the weekends ) that I really haven't felt like working on side projects. My job kept trying to put me on projects that had little to do with programming or if it was, it'd be in the dead end language vbscript( automation ). I don't want to be a lead on any projects nor do i care for any management related activities, but I guess since I have great communication skills/leadership skills they thought I wanted to be involved in that crap. But all of that is changing come June 3rd, after threatening to post out or go to HR , I'm going over to a team that deals with C#/Coded UI/ TFS only and they only support 1 application. My current team is supporting about 5. Which is just a headache. My lead is horrible, I'm the leader of the team( hence him getting in the way of me leaving ) and about i'm about to blast him on this 360 survey :blessed:

Job rant over..lol

damn homie - i'm almost sorry i asked. hope everything works out. i also have a ton of stuff i wanted to do on the side but job keeps getting in the way. honestly i dont know how ppl do it in general.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
damn homie - i'm almost sorry i asked. hope everything works out. i also have a ton of stuff i wanted to do on the side but job keeps getting in the way. honestly i dont know how ppl do it in general.

Heh.. naw its cool. I'm just counting down to June 3rd. You really have to take things into your own hands in this field. LOL

Edit: I'll probably get back into Game programming eventually though. I'm really loving the art of Hyper Light Drifter.

Last edited:

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been trying to get my head around C#. First time learning programming too. Just need 2 focus

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where are you having problems?

This is probably the best C# book out:

was stuck on something to do with arrays for an hour but suddenly I realized what I was doing wrong lol.

I will check that book out, some of the books I have ready haven't been to beginner friendly but I found a site that has warmed me into alot of the concepts so I can go back and ready them

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
was stuck on something to do with arrays for an hour but suddenly I realized what I was doing wrong lol.

I will check that book out, some of the books I have ready haven't been to beginner friendly but I found a site that has warmed me into alot of the concepts so I can go back and ready them

Welcome to programming :blessed:

What's wrong with most programming books is they don't offer that many exercises and when they do, they are boring. The reason why I say go with that book is because they use visual techniques to help you learn programming. When they talked about arrays they use lines of cups, when they talk about collections they use several ducks etc. They use pictures for every topic. The book also has tons of exercises throughout each chapter, not just read 100 pages and at the end of that chapter start doing exercises. Plus some of the exercises were fun( Use interfaces to build a house, Build a Go Fish Program, Click and point small rpg game , Asteroids etc)

Edit: Forgot to add, this is a pretty good youtube channel on C#

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Welcome to programming :blessed:

What's wrong with most programming books is they don't offer that many exercises and when they do, they are boring. The reason why I say go with that book is because they use visual techniques to help you learn programming. When they talked about arrays they use lines of cups, when they talk about collections they use several ducks etc. They use pictures for every topic. The book also has tons of exercises throughout each chapter, not just read 100 pages and at the end of that chapter start doing exercises. Plus some of the exercises were fun( Use interfaces to build a house, Build a Go Fish Program, Click and point small rpg game , Asteroids etc)

Edit: Forgot to add, this is a pretty good youtube channel on C#

Yeah a lot of the books are exactly as you described it lol. Im a visual learner so that book sounds like a godsend, I will check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
What do you guys think of php? I currently taking a web development/w php class and this seems easy for those that have a good handle on programming. But to me It seems very frustrating at times writing these codes. Also why isn't this thread sticky like the other IT thread?