Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Question to all the programming brehs, if someone wanted to become a developer, what languages and skill set do they need for an entry level position?

For Web Development they definitely need to know javascript if nothing else, you can learn frameworks pretty quickly on the job because if you're being hired as a junior dev, the employer isn't expecting you to be a coding guru, but you will be expected to be willing and open to learn new things.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I agree that JS is must know for web development. You can't avoid it since it's required for the front-end. That may change in the future with web assembly, which will allow other languages into the front-end, but for now, JS is a must. On the server side of things, there are many options like Ruby on Rails, JS with node.js, ASP.net mvc5 with C#, Java with Spring, etc.

My least favorite part of web development is CSS. It's not hard to write up css rules, but it's very hard to maintain, and if you're not careful, CSS rules can run all over each other.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
In terms of entering development, for web development, HTML/CSS/ JS is necessary for front end development and even backend development, although you won't have to be as thoroughly knowledgeable about those 3. For back-end development, you just have to pick something and run with it. I like rails out of the backend development.

For general purpose programming, Java and C# are pretty much the big thing. C++ or C are for hardcore programmers who are doing things like OS, creating games or embedded programming.

What language you choose depends on what you want to do with programming. Starting off, Python is a pretty decent language to get a grip of things.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I really need to find someone who is skilled with CSS/ui design and making beautiful sites since that's my least favorite part of web development. I'm not opposed to working on a team project with a few folks here. It could be a solid portfolio piece, as well as showcasing an ability to work in teams.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
For Web Development they definitely need to know javascript if nothing else, you can learn frameworks pretty quickly on the job because if you're being hired as a junior dev, the employer isn't expecting you to be a coding guru, but you will be expected to be willing and open to learn new things.
Are you currently working as a rails dev. I just finished my coding bootcamp and have made a few little apps and am looking for an entry level/internship position. Do you have any advice on where I should look. I am not tied down so I could literally move anywhere in the US, I just need to get that first job so I can get some experience.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How hard would it be to get an entry Web Dev position? I've looked on indeed and have seen a few positions requiring 0-2 years experience paying 50k. I'm currently working in a NOC. I recently found a pretty thorough course on Udemy that provides the basics of HTML,CSS, and JavaScript. The more I learn the more intrigued I'm becoming. I can spend 4-5 hours daily learning code and still want to learn more. I'm hoping in years time I can become proficient in Html,css, and JavaScript. Is this feasible? Also, what other requirements would you say I need for an entry position based off personal experience. Any insight is appreciated.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Are you currently working as a rails dev. I just finished my coding bootcamp and have made a few little apps and am looking for an entry level/internship position. Do you have any advice on where I should look. I am not tied down so I could literally move anywhere in the US, I just need to get that first job so I can get some experience.

I'm a JS dev with Ruby/Rails background but the best thing you can have is Git knowledge and a github page that you're actively pushing to. When looking for a job and reading the descriptions, don't be discouraged by jobs you think you aren't qualified for, apply to them anyway, you may have to take a pay cut but the experience you'll get on the job will be more than worth it.

Also: this isn't a requirement but I think everyone should learn to use vim w/ tmux, it will increase your productivity and it's powerful as shyt.

This is similar to my setup

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Question to all the programming brehs, if someone wanted to become a developer, what languages and skill set do they need for an entry level position?

Depends on what type of developer they want to become.

Developer coding Java apps...know Java

.Net Developer coding Microsoft based apps...know C#

SQL/BI Developer...know SQL

Web Developer...Know Javascript/understand CSS and HTML

Within each of those can be tons of different tools/frameworks but those are the foundations

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
My fa
I'm a JS dev with Ruby/Rails background but the best thing you can have is Git knowledge and a github page that you're actively pushing to. When looking for a job and reading the descriptions, don't be discouraged by jobs you think you aren't qualified for, apply to them anyway, you may have to take a pay cut but the experience you'll get on the job will be more than worth it.

Also: this isn't a requirement but I think everyone should learn to use vim w/ tmux, it will increase your productivity and it's powerful as shyt.

This is similar to my setup

What JS skills does a developer need to get on? Thorough knowledge of JS is a must, but jQuery, Angular, etc?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
What JS skills does a developer need to get on? Thorough knowledge of JS is a must, but jQuery, Angular, etc?

JS developers need a solid understanding of pure JS, from there it's easy to learn frameworks or whatever stack that particular company uses. For example, I've never used Angular JS, the company I work for primarily uses MeteorJs which I had to learn on the job as I had no previous experience with it, but because I have a good understanding of Js, I was able to pick up the concepts and patterns fairly easily, and I also read the docs.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
JS developers need a solid understanding of pure JS, from there it's easy to learn frameworks or whatever stack that particular company uses. For example, I've never used Angular JS, the company I work for primarily uses MeteorJs which I had to learn on the job as I had no previous experience with it, but because I have a good understanding of Js, I was able to pick up the concepts and patterns fairly easily, and I also read the docs.

I remember liking meteor when I used it. Much easier than using express.js with node. It sort of reminds me of Rails, except that it combines the front end and the backend. After I finish this last rails project, I'll do a project in node and then start applying everywhere.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I remember liking meteor when I used it. Much easier than using express.js with node. It sort of reminds me of Rails, except that it combines the front end and the backend. After I finish this last rails project, I'll do a project in node and then start applying everywhere.

also, go to meetups in your area, many of the people there are employed in the field and if you're a regular it can go a long way with you being a familiar face and gaining employment.