Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Anyone here ever burnout and recover somehow? I'm at almost 7 years exp working as a full stack dev (ts, node, go) and I'm just mentally done. The work isn't hard or anything I just can't get myself to care anymore.
Close to 9 years in the industry…I go in and out of burnout. It tends to happen when I’m just going through the motions without a clear goal in mind. In this scenario I just try to plot out what I want to accomplish in 1/2/5 years time and that usually gives me enough motivation to stay focused.

The other times when I’m going through it is usually when I’m working too much. When this happens I force myself (within reason) to fully detach from work and enjoy life a bit. Traveling damn near always refreshes my mind.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Any data engineers/cloud engineers here ?
Yeeerp! I moved into a more DataOps role now, but I've done just about every part of the pipeline, coming from a software based background. Dashboard/Analytics Engineering, Data Engineering, and Data Warehousing. I haven't dont any Data Science/ML, but I'm not interested in that, though I've prepped data for them and automated their jobs

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeeerp! I moved into a more DataOps role now, but I've done just about every part of the pipeline, coming from a software based background. Dashboard/Analytics Engineering, Data Engineering, and Data Warehousing. I haven't dont any Data Science/ML, but I'm not interested in that, though I've prepped data for them and automated their jobs
Which certifications do you recommend ? besides the GCP Data Engineer one

This for someone with consulting experience in digital analytics (Big Query) and minor product management.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Which certifications do you recommend ? besides the GCP Data Engineer one

This for someone with consulting experience in digital analytics (Big Query) and minor product management.
Coming from software engineering side, I've never had to worry about certifications. Its always been about what your experience is like in those tools. It might help for an architecture position, but I'm not sure. But here are some of the AWS services I know of. Maybe you can find certifications that cover them or the equivalent GCP versions

Main
AWS Lambda - serverless code execution
Glue - Spark job execution (For dealing with lots of data)
EMR - Spark job execution
Redshift - Postgres (I think) based data warehouse
Athena - Presto based data warehouse
Cloudwatch - logging for your services

Good to know
EC2 - Virtual computers/servers
Elastic Beanstalk - Managed servers that can scale up with less effort than just ec2
API Gateway - Allows you to create some endpoints that can trigger AWS events
SageMaker - Moreso ML and Data Science team stuff, but allows you to deploy ML Models
(New) Bedrock - some new AI service I have no idea about, lol

Edit: How can I forget, S3 for file storage. This is a big one for anything dealing with Data Lakes

Last edited:

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
Anyone here ever burnout and recover somehow? I'm at almost 7 years exp working as a full stack dev (ts, node, go) and I'm just mentally done. The work isn't hard or anything I just can't get myself to care anymore.

Knowing I have to pay bills keeps me from burnout.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
No worse feeling than to hit your knowledge ceiling in the middle of solving an interesting programming problem. You be sitting there like "damn, I need to learn all this other stuff just to make 10% progress? :mjcry:"

Man fukk this i'm taking a week long break :camby:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Software brehs who are familiar with fireship io. That tutflix site I mentioned earlier has a thread to get free fireship io pro courses. You just install a greasemonkey script and you have access.
Thread on tutflix (of course you need an account to view it): https://tutflix.org/threads/fireship-io-premium-access-free.52250/
Thread was made in 2022 but still works. They try to update it when the dude who runs the fireship site tries to fix w/e bug/hack they uss
df8b16d333596d730ba68f95bcc9b92e.png

Example of me using the script and getting access, dont even need to be logged in
hODMceL.gif

Greasemonkey link: Freeship
Github to I guess rip the courses if you want to go that route: GitHub - lem6ns/firerip: Rip courses from Fireship (without an account)?!
He has courses coverings various things like nextjs 14, stripe, dart/flutter. Page listing his courses - Courses

FemiO

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
time for a vacation my boy. and if you have good management, talk to your lead and discuss your mental state, see if you can take a sabbatical/get a lighter load temporarily.

FemiO

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:hubie:
I'm late but this article reads like someone who sleeps with a copy of Clean Code under their pillow and got brainwashed into naming their firstborn "OOP". Unless you've ever had to click through 8 layers of inheritance through some org's bullshyt Java monstrosity I don't wanna hear one-sided arguments about "you can't write bad code in Java/C#" lol wtf

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I'm late but this article reads like someone who sleeps with a copy of Clean Code under their pillow and got brainwashed into naming their firstborn "OOP". Unless you've ever had to click through 8 layers of inheritance through some org's bullshyt Java monstrosity I don't wanna hear one-sided arguments about "you can't write bad code in Java/C#" lol wtf

i think this all implies that clicking through (i.e. changing) a java (etc) "monstrosity" is easier because of the help given by the type system.

:hubie:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Anybody hating on Python in 2024 doesn't deserve my attention. Its far from perfect but it's no accident that Python is a top 3 most popular language out there. It hits all the necessary sweet spots for the average developer regardless of experience level.