Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I hope you make it breh. I literally just switched careers last year, but if there's any advice I can give or anything I can do to help, let me know.
Start with me breh. I WFH in sales (year 3 now), it’s ok but they keep shrinking the commission and lost two big sales cause their system glitched on Tuesday. shyt is lame for that.

Daps
Start with me breh. I WFH in sales (year 3 now), it’s ok but they keep shrinking the commission and lost two big sales cause their system glitched on Tuesday. shyt is lame for that.

Breh get into tech now.

I learned everything I know from The Odin Project. It's a course that's geared towards web development as they teach you Javascript for frontend and node JS (and Ruby) on the backend, but like I said, that's how I learned and I'm currently working in software development where I write programs for hardware. I wouldn't have been able to do this if I didn't have the foundation that Odin gave me.

Sometimes I just sit back and think about how crazy this is. When I first started with Odin, I used to ask stupid questions like "should I learn other languages after learning Javascript? How easy will it be for me to transition?"

And languages have their differences, true but if you have a strong grasp of programming fundamentals, you can switch between and understand other languages.

I've been reading python code over the last couple of days and I've never taken a python class. But I can read it and where necessary, program in it. And the stuff that I don't know, I know how to Google and learn it. (Odin teaches you that too).

Come on, man. Make that move.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Breh get into tech now.

I learned everything I know from The Odin Project. It's a course that's geared towards web development as they teach you Javascript for frontend and node JS (and Ruby) on the backend, but like I said, that's how I learned and I'm currently working in software development where I write programs for hardware. I wouldn't have been able to do this if I didn't have the foundation that Odin gave me.

Sometimes I just sit back and think about how crazy this is. When I first started with Odin, I used to ask stupid questions like "should I learn other languages after learning Javascript? How easy will it be for me to transition?"

And languages have their differences, true but if you have a strong grasp of programming fundamentals, you can switch between and understand other languages.

I've been reading python code over the last couple of days and I've never taken a python class. But I can read it and where necessary, program in it. And the stuff that I don't know, I know how to Google and learn it. (Odin teaches you that too).

Come on, man. Make that move.
What’s your current occupation title? Jr dev?

Daps
@Obreh Winfrey
@Secure Da Bag
@Data-Hawk
@Mike809
@null
@Regular Developer

I'm almost a year in at my first job. I like this job. It's cool, the people are cool, the work is cool.

But im trying to figure out if I should start looking for new opportunities.

Before the industry got turned on its head, I would hear about people spending a year at a job and then moving to a new opportunity because that's how you increase your pay.

Do y'all have any advice or suggestions you can give me?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
@Obreh Winfrey
@Secure Da Bag
@Data-Hawk
@Mike809
@null
@Regular Developer

I'm almost a year in at my first job. I like this job. It's cool, the people are cool, the work is cool.

Before the industry got turned on its head, I would hear about people spending a year at a job and then moving to a new opportunity because that's how you increase your pay.

Always keep an eye on the market, keep an eye on your current surroundings, always keep your resume up to date, and be better than me - keep your interviewing skills fresh. Those are probably just the basics of survival.

As far as when and for what reasons to jump ship that's largely up to you. You will almost never get the same from a raise that you will for switching companies, so if money is your motivator keep that in mind. Do you see the writing on the wall? If so then hopefully you've been doing the basics of survival to get you out of there (I always neglect interview prep then coming running to The Coli complaining
full
). shyt management in your org but like the company? Look internal first. You could make a diagonal move and net some better pay. Above all though, move when it makes sense to you and not to others, because they don't have to live your life. You can let other people inform your decision, but don't let them make your decision.

But fukk any and all sense of loyalty to where you work. When it's time to go, it's time to go.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
But fukk any and all sense of loyalty to where you work. When it's time to go, it's time to go.

This is the 1st and Last Commandment. Live your life by it. :ufdup:

@Neo The Resurrected ONE Now to answer your question. Stay another year. You've only been there for a year. You're still a junior and there's plenty more to learn. I don't know how old you are, but if you're 23-32, then staying at a job for 3 to 4 years isn't a bad thing. Skipping around every year or two will make employers think you're unstable and they'll just pass on you even before the interview.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
@Obreh Winfrey
@Secure Da Bag
@Data-Hawk
@Mike809
@null
@Regular Developer

I just made a year at my current company this month , and haven't thought about fishing for new job opportunities yet.

1 year is still pretty soon to be jumping ship , I think the norm is 2-3 years or else other companies might start to believe that you ain't loyal . This
is your first software job on your resume so there's no trend of that yet ,but just a warning.

If you like your job and the people you work with , I suggest to stay another year before testing the market. That way you will have an extra year of experience instead of just 1 since 1 year of experience is still entry-level.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
@Obreh Winfrey
@Secure Da Bag
@Data-Hawk
@Mike809
@null
@Regular Developer

Yea, about a year, I wouldn't do a serious search, unnless you know there's no growth to get out of it. But do keep the resume updated and it also doesn't hurt to try interview for practice. Interviews are like the NFL/NBA combine. Nobody really knows how to tell if someone will do a good job, so they have tto create scenarios or questions that will hopefully help them figure it out. So you'll just want to be aware of what type of questions the jobs you'll be looking for will ask. Leetcode, simple code that tests basics, no code but explaining what things mean, or even take home assignments that you need to submit and explain. The more comfortable you can be at the beginning of your job search the better.

You'll also need to be able to answer some behavioral stuff, so embrace some of the challenges at your current job and figure out some good ways to manage that, because those experiences will come in handy when you make it to the final round and are getting asked "Tell em about a time when you..."

Daps
Always keep an eye on the market, keep an eye on your current surroundings, always keep your resume up to date, and be better than me - keep your interviewing skills fresh. Those are probably just the basics of survival.

As far as when and for what reasons to jump ship that's largely up to you. You will almost never get the same from a raise that you will for switching companies, so if money is your motivator keep that in mind. Do you see the writing on the wall? If so then hopefully you've been doing the basics of survival to get you out of there (I always neglect interview prep then coming running to The Coli complaining
full
). shyt management in your org but like the company? Look internal first. You could make a diagonal move and net some better pay. Above all though, move when it makes sense to you and not to others, because they don't have to live your life. You can let other people inform your decision, but don't let them make your decision.

This is the 1st and Last Commandment. Live your life by it. :ufdup:

@Neo The Resurrected ONE Now to answer your question. Stay another year. You've only been there for a year. You're still a junior and there's plenty more to learn. I don't know how old you are, but if you're 23-32, then staying at a job for 3 to 4 years isn't a bad thing. Skipping around every year or two will make employers think you're unstable and they'll just pass on you even before the interview.

I just made a year at my current company this month , and haven't thought about fishing for new job opportunities yet.

1 year is still pretty soon to be jumping ship , I think the norm is 2-3 years or else other companies might start to believe that you ain't loyal . This
is your first software job on your resume so there's no trend of that yet ,but just a warning.

If you like your job and the people you work with , I suggest to stay another year before testing the market. That way you will have an extra year of experience instead of just 1 since 1 year of experience is still entry-level.

Yea, about a year, I wouldn't do a serious search, unnless you know there's no growth to get out of it. But do keep the resume updated and it also doesn't hurt to try interview for practice. Interviews are like the NFL/NBA combine. Nobody really knows how to tell if someone will do a good job, so they have tto create scenarios or questions that will hopefully help them figure it out. So you'll just want to be aware of what type of questions the jobs you'll be looking for will ask. Leetcode, simple code that tests basics, no code but explaining what things mean, or even take home assignments that you need to submit and explain. The more comfortable you can be at the beginning of your job search the better.

You'll also need to be able to answer some behavioral stuff, so embrace some of the challenges at your current job and figure out some good ways to manage that, because those experiences will come in handy when you make it to the final round and are getting asked "Tell em about a time when you..."

Thank all of you for this advice.

I'm going to listen to you.

I just want more money. :to: