Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Companies and these 3 rounds of interviews are killing me( Time space complexity blah blah ). 90% of it you will never use.

But you have to play the game.

This course is a gold mine :

https://www.udemy.com/course/data-structures-algorithms-python/

He explains everything with animations, which has made the concepts a lot easier to understand.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Companies and these 3 rounds of interviews are killing me( Time space complexity blah blah ). 90% of it you will never use.

But you have to play the game.

This course is a gold mine :

https://www.udemy.com/course/data-structures-algorithms-python/

He explains everything with animations, which has made the concepts a lot easier to understand.
Thanks for this, was gonna look for a course on DS&A or connect with a tutor or whatever to brush up on knowledge and practice/interview prep.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I often wonder how development really goes down at some of these companies. As long as I've been in the game I've never heard the words time and complexity in the same sentence. Never debated about the nitty gritty implementation details of a function.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Thanks for this, was gonna look for a course on DS&A or connect with a tutor or whatever to brush up on knowledge and practice/interview prep.

No Problem. I tried one of the leetcode books/prep and it almost put me to sleep..lol

When I watch the Udemy course and he shows the animations right next to the code. I'm like wtf. Not that complicated at all.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I often wonder how development really goes down at some of these companies. As long as I've been in the game I've never heard the words time and complexity in the same sentence. Never debated about the nitty gritty implementation details of a function.

Like I understand if someone is working on something that's life or death if there is a bug or very performance criterial application where every cycle counts ( 3D Game engine etc. ) or it's a FANNG where the starting salary is 180k+.

But for most Crud apps it's a complete waste of time, most of the DSA's are already built-into the language.

I had a interview and they wanted to interview me the next day. and the recruiter told me the day before, it'll be 3 rounds of interviews ( 1 medium Leetcode and you have to describe the time & space complexity of your solution. Then the next round will be System design, design Instagram or Uber ect ).

I'm like wtf, Most programmers would need time to prepare for that. Not be able to do all of that the next day. I told them never mind lol

But now I know. So started studying the stuff. It's actually kind of fun.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Interview on Monday: Engineer will introduce a RESTful API and the data needed to be retrieved from it. You will then walk them through your solutions. Themes to focus on are primitive data types and HTTP methods. It's gonna be in Python because that's all I used to know.

Are there any good YouTube channels I should check out to review? I haven't had any coding projects at my current job.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
GitHub Copilot has been a life saver at work.

Currently in the process of migrating an ASP.NET 5 MVC project to ASP.NET Core 8.

Migrating code from freaking 2015 or so to now is a real pain in the ***. But Copilot has been helping me spot the differences and shows how the code would work with .NET Core 6. Which saves a ton of time from googling. I can even ask it to explain the old code to me :blessed: .

But it has made my code worse or completely broken it a few times. Even then whatever sample it gives you, you still need to understand what it's doing.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any recommendations on bootcamps ? This is for a family member who wants to take one

Daps

I hear what you're saying but I heard it for the first time last month at my job. :pachaha:

It was about some sql stuff coincidentally.