Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
I’m at this support engineer role but I don’t feel like I’m learning at the rate I should. Thinking about starting with sql, but I’m also thinking networking and even IT consultant. It’s too overwhelming

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm a computer science major and is it bad that I hate calc 2 and physics and that they absolutely bore me to death :francis:

Math is taught poorly in school because students can't see the immediately real world application for it (beyond basic arithmetic). You should try to code some kind of application that utilizes these things to get a better grasp of it.

Trustus

Black like the planet that they fear
Supporter
Daps

Cool tutorial on Python. I like his style of teaching, it's timestamped so you can jump to whatever point you looking for.
This is my brand-new #Python tutorial to learn Python programming from scratch.
We start off by learning Python 3 language constructs and then we'll build 3 Python
projects involving #automation, #machinelearning, and #webdevelopment. Make sure to complete all the exercises in this tutorial.

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps
There's a company on LinkedIn in the Detroit area hiring developers with zero experience. You only need a desire to learn. They'll train you. I saw it the other day, so it's a fresh listing. Didn't save the link, but I will if I come across it, again.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX

Knew it was Revature before I even saw this post. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT take this job unless you are desperate and on your last leg in life. I had a friend take this same job with them last year and it was a horrible experience. He tried to leave early but there is a huge breach of contract fee. He ended up sticking it out but dude was miserable the entire time.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Knew it was Revature before I even saw this post. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT take this job unless you are desperate and on your last leg in life. I had a friend take this same job with them last year and it was a horrible experience. He tried to leave early but there is a huge breach of contract fee. He ended up sticking it out but dude was miserable the entire time.

I got my email from them just in case, these 3 months yields nothing with my previous gained experience.:to:

Last edited:

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps

I had some time at the end of my work day earlier, and read some things on Glassdoor that gave me pause. Not 100%, but reservations. Might be worth it if you just need to get your foot in the door and don't have anything else going. I hadn't read anything in the comments about contract issues, wow. I noticed some differences with software engineers, when it came to those who went thru their training vs. those who came in experienced. Did your friend have experience going in?

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
I had some time at the end of my work day earlier, and read some things on Glassdoor that gave me pause. Not 100%, but reservations. Might be worth it if you just need to get your foot in the door and don't have anything else going. I hadn't read anything in the comments about contract issues, wow. I noticed some differences with software engineers, when it came to those who went thru their training vs. those who came in experienced. Did your friend have experience going in?

Nah, only experience he had was help desk. No programming experience whatsoever. I told him to go the self taught route or try the boot-camp thing but he didn't listen. It all worked out in the end though, he was able to get out of the contract and he's a Jr SE now making decent money.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
anyone got good academic journals or links in general on automation in software engineering in the past from lets say from 1980s to about 2000? have to write a college paper on this topic and struggling hard to find relevant information. Want to know what tools were used and what kind of stuff was being automated

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
anyone got good academic journals or links in general on automation in software engineering in the past from lets say from 1980s to about 2000? have to write a college paper on this topic and struggling hard to find relevant information. Want to know what tools were used and what kind of stuff was being automated

Knowledge intensive software engineering tools - IEEE Journals & Magazine
Understanding and controlling software costs - IEEE Journals & Magazine
CASE: reliability engineering for information systems - IEEE Journals & Magazine
  • Go to scholar.google.com
  • Search for [insert year] 'software engineering automation', or something similar.
  • Another option: search for recent automation papers. Look up their references.

Last edited: