Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Damn near choked when I saw this today:

programmer-yo-mama-joke.jpg

:bryan::bryan::deadmanny:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
It looks like I'm finally starting to understand some of the advanced Javascript elements such as 'function currying'. I've been reading this book on Javascript patterns and I've come across a section on currying and 'partial application' with this following code. Partial application deals with a function where it has numerous parameters, but when you call the function, you apply less arguments than there are parameters, and instead of returning a result, a function is returned which allows you to fill out the other parameters later. Where or why you would use this is beyond me at the moment, but it feels great to finally start getting this under control

Code:
function add(x, y) {
    var oldx = x, oldy = y;
    if(typeof oldy === "undefined") {
        return function (newy){
            return oldx + newy;
        };
    }
    //full application
    return x + y;
}

var test = add(3);
test(4);  //returns 7

The return value would be 7. The function add has 2 parameters. If you call the function but only give one argument, then the function returns another function which is then stored in the variable 'test'. Test now looks like this test = function(newy) { return oldx + newy); Due to closures, the value of oldx is retained. Finally, you call the variable test and give it another argument, which will be applied to the argument that you didn't fill out previously, and hence, you get 7.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I'm profiencent in computers but I need a job paying least 50k a year, if I was to start programming, realistically speaking if I hit it hard least 2 or more hours a day what's my chance and how long do you think I can get a job?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
This intimidates me so much...............But I will not let that stop me.

That's the main thing you will need to learn programming. "Sticking with it." At first, everything sounds like gibberish and it can be headache inducing, but piece by piece, you will start understanding more and more and it will start coming together.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm profiencent in computers but I need a job paying least 50k a year, if I was to start programming, realistically speaking if I hit it hard least 2 or more hours a day what's my chance and how long do you think I can get a job?

Honestly, spend every free moment you can programming and give yourself at least a year.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

With HTML and CSS, you can probably get skilled enough to start freelancing in about 4 months, meaning you can start making basic websites and be a 'web designer' and have people you know or potentially people online pay you to design websites for them. To get into web development, where you're learning technologies like Ruby on Rails, PHP, Javascript or some other such language is where the extra 8+ months comes in. Those pay a deal more, but if you're in a hurry to get money, focus your next 4 months hard on HTML and CSS and start creating websites like a madman.

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
They have something called blackgirlshack....it an all black group...do you guys think you could do the same

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

It's about how you apply it. There are a lot of entry-level jobs out there for programmers. That being said, because you won't have a degree or the employment experience, it will be tough for you. The best way to boost up your chances will be to contribute to open source projects. It can be done, but you have to live programming for a year or two. Good programmers go beyond just knowing the syntax and language, it involves problem solving, some math, logical understanding and data structures/algorithm knowledge. Keep that in mind.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
a group that allows black people to make networking contacts in the programming field and show them the ropes. Is it that impossible?

We got this thread. Any help you need, ask in here.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
A little less than a year....

But you'll need some type of bullshyt experience to claim on a resume... like an internship or a friends company or something.

But mainly get your skills up.... just in case someone give u a brainbench test or something... or a code test.

If you have the Actual skill u will make it... regardless of everything else.