Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
One of my favorite things I've learned is how Nintendo and other devs from about the Arcade days through NES to about midway through Super Nintendo life cycle programmed all their games in fukking assembly language.

assembly language :camby:..the one fukking language i could never understand...i learned old languages like cobol and jcl in one summer but that one i could never wrap my head around.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Recruiting’s Dirty Little Secrets:leostare:

One of the biggest controversies to rock the tech world over the past few years was the revelation that executives at Apple, Google, and other firms “fixed” the market for highly skilled tech workers by agreeing not to steal each other’s employees.

If the unveiling of that secret practice made you wonder about the true modus operandi of corporate and third-party recruiters, you’re not alone. Across the country, tech workers are wondering: Did that last recruiter deliberately steer me toward some jobs instead of others? Are my resumes really being kept on file? Are in-house recruiters giving equal consideration to outsiders?

“No Poaching” Tactics Are Common
Some companies will hire aggressive third-party recruiters in order to prevent them from stealing their staff, according to Erica Seidel, an executive recruiter and founder of The Connective Good, a recruiting firm based in Cambridge, Mass. “Companies protect their turf by awarding contracts with ‘no poaching’ clauses to hotshot recruiters,” she noted. “Most recruiters won’t source candidates from a client because it’s bad for business.”

Recruiters Follow the Money
When demand exceeds supply, recruiters increase placement rates and commissions by submitting top candidates to companies that offer competitive base salaries or lucrative placement fees. But a recruiter may not lobby for a higher starting salary if they’re paid a flat fee—in other words, their financial interests may not align with yours.

“Always ask a recruiter whether they’re making a flat fee or a percentage of base salary,” suggested Ronjon Bhattacharya, director at Kendall Staffing, a software recruiting firm based in Cambridge, Mass. “While recruiters represent companies and candidates, in some cases, they may encourage you to consider deals that benefit them or seem easy to close.”

Some Jobs Aren’t Really Open to Outsiders
Just because a job is posted on a job board or a company’s website doesn’t mean that you stand a chance. In fact, some 30 to 35 percent of open positions go only to internal candidates or recent college grads, said Shally Steckerl, president of The Sourcing Institute, a training firm for recruiters based in Norcross, Ga.

If that didn’t make things hard enough, referred candidates usually receive first consideration. In essence, only a small percentage of jobs are actually open to outsiders with no connections.

Rejected Candidates Can Be Blacklisted
Unselected finalists sometimes end up blacklisted by recruiters. “Either they prefer to work with fresh candidates or they forget to update your status in the system, so your name doesn’t come up when recruiters search the database,” Steckerl said. “Either way, you’re unlikely to hear from a recruiter if you go through the interviewing process and don’t receive an offer.”

Many Recruiters Have Activity Quotas
Why do recruiters pepper you with unsuitable positions? Why do they push for interviews? While the real pros won’t waste your time, newbies often grasp at straws because they’re judged on activity such as interviews and resume submittals, as well as results. Some recruiters also use interviews to gather market intelligence; they view the resulting reference checks as a way to meet new IT managers and solicit job orders.

Most Recruiters Want to Screen You Out
Most recruiters don’t read resumes. Instead, they scan resumes and cover letters for keywords before asking professionals a series of “knockout” questions. “They’ll ask if you have a certain amount of experience with a tool or software program,” Steckerl noted. “If you answer no to any screening question, that’s it.”

Will they really keep your resume on file if you miss a knockout question? Yes, it’s stored in the database for a year or two. But if you want to be considered for future openings, you’ll need to stay in touch.

You’re Locked Out Once a Recruiter Submits Your Resume
In most cases, you can’t apply for any job at a company for six to 12 months after a recruiter submits your resume. Having two or more recruiters submit your resume for the same position may force you out of the running.

Rejection Letters Are Boilerplate
Recruiters are reluctant to share the real reason why you’re rejected. And if they do come clean, they certainly won’t put the information in a letter. You should absolutely ask for feedback… but unfortunately, you may never know the real reason why you weren’t chosen for a position.

:beli:

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
I know this has nothing to do with programming but I didn't want to make an entire thread about this:

Does anyone know how to make the artwork for a progress bar?
Like this:
free-vector-progress-bar-clip-art_117527_Progress_Bar_clip_art_hight.png

But making it usable? I've been searching all week but I can't find anyone whose done it.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
in what environment will you be inserting that progress bar? I know how to do a progress bar in html/javascript by using one div inside of another. I'm not sure about other environments.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
in what environment will you be inserting that progress bar? I know how to do a progress bar in html/javascript by using one div inside of another. I'm not sure about other environments.
For splash screen and for things like leveling up and health bars

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The following is a quick status bar implementation in html/css/javascript. Essentially a basic statusbar will have two components in this sort of implementation. It will have the 'outer box', or the unfilled background... Then there will be an internal box that can be incremented or decremented. This version here has 3 'divs' or 'boxes', since the 3rd box is used for decorative purposes. To view it, you simply have to company and paste it in a text editor, save as an html file and open in a browser
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
   <meta charset="UTF-8">
   <title>Document</title>
   <style>
     #divshell
     {
       height: 50px;
       width: 500px;
       background-color: red;
       border: 4px black solid;
       border-radius: 20px;
       text-align: center;
     }

#outerbar
     {
       height: 30px;
       width: 470px;
       border: 4px black solid;
       border-radius: 10px;
       position: relative;
       margin: auto;
       top: 10%;
       background-color: black;
     }

#innerbar
     {
       height: 30px;
       width: 400px;
       background-color: red;
       border-radius: 5px;
     }
   </style>
</head>
<body>
   <div id="divshell">
     <div id="outerbar">
       <div id="innerbar">

</div>
     </div>
   </div>

<script>
     window.onload = function()
     {
     document.getElementById("innerbar").style.width = "200px";
     }
   </script>
</body>

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
“Python’s syntax is beautiful; the language is concise; and it’s modern,” developer (and editor) Jeff Cogswell wrote for Dice News in August. “I consider it one of the best languages I’ve ever used, and I feel that one of the biggest mistakes made in the world of computer software was when the browsers added JavaScript as their client-side language.” Better client-side software might exist, he added, if Python had become the language of choice instead of JavaScript.

Those interested in building out their programming skills would do well to look at Python, but other languages are also worth examining, including JavaScript, C#, PHP, and Swift.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
The most recent Dice Report offered a list of the fastest-growing tech skills, including cybersecurity, Puppet (an open-source IT automation tool), Hadoop, and Big Data.

One programming language appeared on that list: Python, which enjoyed 21 percent growth year-over-year (as of Sept. 2), based on mentions in Dice job postings. (Skill requests had to appear in at least 1,000 job postings on a given day to qualify for the analysis.)

That growth is no surprise. Python, currently in version 3.4.1 (released in May 2014), remains a popular element in college-level introductory courses, according to data released this summer by the Association for Computing Machinery (AMC). It’s also topped the rankings of popular programming languages produced by analyst firm RedMonk, TIOBE Software, and other entities.

What underlies Python’s popularity? For starters, it’s a mature and well-established language that can trace its roots back nearly 25 years. Major firms such as Google have embraced it as a key tool for building Web properties. Developers and programmers of all skill levels enjoy its combination of simplicity and power.

http://news.dice.com/2014/09/18/python-snakes-up-list-tech-skills/

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
any thoughts on shellshock ? shyt has been out there for 25 years :lupe:
shyt is WAY bigger than heartbleed ever was, since any system that uses *nix and uses old bash is fukked.

all the osx stans now forced to fall back on that 'we dont get viruses/vulns/trojans' bullshyt :pachaha:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been having a blast programming. I just wish I had more time in the day. Right now I've been learning how to do animation/physics with the canvas. It will take me a while to master the trig required, but it'll be a fun journey. I really need to find a webhost where I can start putting these experiments up.

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
Trying to get to grips with the Reactjs library, been trying to implement it into mvc structured project I'm working on. The whole thing has me:mindblown:.
I'll get it soon enough though:win:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been programming like a madman lately... this is the only thing I've really enjoyed doing for the long-term.