Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
How many hours a day do you put in?

Sometimes I get distracted with different things, but usually the majority of the day I spend programming. I'm really attempting to make the transition into the world of the web development, so I really have to go hard with it since I started somewhat late in the game. I'll be looking to make a page soon where I can put up experiments.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Is C# a good language to learn for basic 2D mobile gaming? I've got 95% of the artwork for my game done, I just need to learn to program now.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
That exponential run time :huhldup:

But this is actually a good example of why analyzing algorithms (or at least being familiar with them) is important. In this case, one could ask themselves why is the runtime so awful? If you visualize the recursive calls to the fibonacci function, you can see you're recalculating past values over and over again

I'd bet the interviewer might've been more impressed with this (pseudocode isn't really in a specific language):
Code:
Dictionary <int, int> fibMemo = new Dictionary<int, int>();

int fibonacci(int n)
{
    if (fibMemo[n] != null)
        return fibMemo[n];
    int result = fibonacci[n - 1] + fibonacci[n - 2];
    fibMemo[n] = result;
    return result;
}

By stashing past results for a given n, you don't have to keep constantly recalculating them. The run time drops to O(n), though you might be by making a tradeoff in terms of space
I believe thats why one would use dynamic programming. That shyt is really hard for me to get down tho

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Is C# a good language to learn for basic 2D mobile gaming? I've got 95% of the artwork for my game done, I just need to learn to program now.
If you're using unity, C# is a great language to learn. If you're programming directly to the phone, for android it's Java, and for iphone, it's objective-C. Since you're using unity, C# it is.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I have to build a server/client chat program which uses the server to authenticate the clients and then once connected, uses P2P to chat. shyt skessful :mjcry:

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
If you're using unity, C# is a great language to learn. If you're programming directly to the phone, for android it's Java, and for iphone, it's objective-C. Since you're using unity, C# it is.
Well I want the game to start as a facebook game then if it's popular, I would make it available for android and iphone.

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Can't go wrong with learning C# if that's your goal. And since Unity is a cross-platform development system, you'll find that a lot of the work is already done when/if you want to make the game available for Android and iPhone

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I finished a book on physics/animation with Javascript. very interesting stuff. Right now I'm reading about Java. It's quite interesting seeing how the two languages differ... I think in order to truly understand Javascript, you eventually have to pick up an OO language like C# or Java because you won't really understand the work-arounds the Javascript language uses to achieve Object Orientation or why any of it is done in the first place.