Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Web dev over Applic Dev. However, I'd also pick mobile Dev on the side. They really asking for mobile apps and sites ou here.
Thanks, I really need this bread and can't get a second job.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
"Web dev" (HTML, css, js, PHP, MySQL) "programming" (C#, Java, swift, python, etc)

It's easier and quicker (generally speaking) to get into web dev... from a freelance perspective, there are tons of orgs in need of it. But since it is easier to get into, there are also more people offering those services.

I would say, find what you have an aptitude for and build whatever path you want to follow around that.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
It's easier and quicker (generally speaking) to get into web dev... from a freelance perspective, there are tons of orgs in need of it. But since it is easier to get into, there are also more people offering those services.

I would say, find what you have an aptitude for and build whatever path you want to follow around that.
fukk

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
What about it isn't working?

Which language are you writing this in, it's possible that the reason you can't "update" the value in the array is that the array is immutable.

I'm using Python 3. Not sure why my code above isn't working as lists are mutable.

But anyway, a Breh figured out another way...

:youngsabo:

Looking at the Python manual I dove into the list section and looked at list methods. Found a way to do it using list methods...

Here's the breakdown.

row1 = [1,2,3]
row2 = [4,5,6]
row3 = [7,8,9]

selection = input("Player 1, where would like to place your X? Select location 1-9")

Let's assume the player selected location 3.

First I'll set a variable equal to the position of the player's selection in row1 with:
a = row1.index(selection) Note this method returns an index number of the location of "selection", in this example it is index 2...

Next I'll remove the player's selection from row1 with:
row1.pop(a)

Finally, I'll add "X" in place of the removed players selection with:
row1.insert(a, "X")

Now the board looks like...

row1 = [1,2,X]
row2 = [4,5,6]
row3 = [7,8,9]

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm using Python 3. Not sure why my code above isn't working as lists are mutable.

But anyway, a Breh figured out another way...

Looking at the Python manual I dove into the list section and looked at list methods. Found a way to do it using list methods...

Here's the breakdown.

row1 = [1,2,3]
row2 = [4,5,6]
row3 = [7,8,9]

selection = input("Player 1, where would like to place your X? Select location 1-9")

Let's assume the player selected location 3.

First I'll set a variable equal to the position of the player's selection in row1 with:
a = row1.index(selection) Note this method returns an index number of the location of "selection", in this example it is index 2...

Next I'll remove the player's selection from row1 with:
row1.pop(a)

Finally, I'll add "X" in place of the removed players selection with:
row1.insert(a, "X")

Now the board looks like...

row1 = [1,2,X]
row2 = [4,5,6]
row3 = [7,8,9]

giphy.gif

Using the features of the language.

Obreh Winfrey