Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Note: This Guide is heavier on web development than the other, if you want less practical web development but more rigorous coverage of computer science you might want to check out Guide: Computer Science and Web Development - comprehensive path 68 as well and pick the one that most meets your goals.

Note: @MARKJ78 has ported the entire list into a Trello board you can clone to keep track of your progress you can find the Trello board here83.

Prerequisite
The only things that you need to know are how to use Git and GitHub. Here are some resources to learn about them:

Note: Just pick one of the courses below to learn the basics. You will learn a lot more once you get started!

There WILL be math. And, it's important. If the thought frightens you, or bores you, or has you thinking "this isn't for me", head to Khan Academy35 right now, sign up, and start devoting 30 minutes a day. This is an investment that will pay off. I'm not making this up.

The list - work down it in order
Tier 1 - get started
Tier 2 - strengthen your foundation
Tier 3 - build on the foundation
Tier 4 - polish the rough edges
  • Project: Read up on Travis CI8 - try to incorporate it into any project in active development or which you intend to keep running on the web
  • Course: Linear Algebra - Foundations to Frontiers2
  • Project: Clone Twitter - yes, all the functionality
  • Course: Computer Graphics5
  • Course: Artificial Intelligence4
  • Course: Machine Learning5
  • Project: Design, implement, test, and deploy a game that is playable on the web, using the technologies of your choice. The only criteria are that it be playable online, and that it inculde a substantial AI component.
  • Project: Complete all Classic Puzzles - Very Hard on CodinGame9 in JavaScript
  • Project: Create a node module that will convert markdown to properly formatted html
  • Project: Create an npm module that bootstraps a fullstack application, with Node.js on the backend, and the SPA library/framework of your choice on the frontend. Include a full test suite and comprehensive build processes. Publish it to NPM.
  • Project: Complete all problems from all rounds of the Google Code Jam 20167 - scroll down to the appropriate section
  • Project: Extend your CSS grid framework to include the CSS and JavaScript required to implement 5 to 10 material design components
  • Project: Clone Learn Harmony15
  • Project: Clone Slack - the functionality should be complete to the point that one user can create a room, invite other users, and all users of that room can real-time chat. The room should be secure and inaccessible to anyone but those invited.
Bookmarks you should have
  • surge.sh19 - deploy your frontend projects here (or use github pages)
  • MDN7 - look HTML, CSS, and JavaScript stuff up here
  • Heroku8 - deploy your fullstack projects here (or hyperdev)
  • Firebase8 or mLab2 - database hosting
  • GitHub3 - store your code here
  • Material Design18 - lean on this when you need a structure for creating a minimalistic but awesome looking site
  • Material Palette16 - for selecting color schemes
  • Wirify18 - for quickly turning a web page into a wireframe so you can see the big picture instead of all the graphics

:computer: Guide: Web Development with Computer Science Foundations - comprehensive path

Been following this for the past couple days. Trynna have this done by this time next year so I can have a good portfolio and get some side gigs while I work on my hustles.

The I know HTML and CSS pretty much from a long time ago and since I have been learning C# since summer, javascript ain't as hard as when I first learnt C#, my mind getting more used to thinking logically.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:computer: Guide: Web Development with Computer Science Foundations - comprehensive path

Been following this for the past couple days. Trynna have this done by this time next year so I can have a good portfolio and get some side gigs while I work on my hustles.

The I know HTML and CSS pretty much from a long time ago and since I have been learning C# since summer, javascript ain't as hard as when I first learnt C#, my mind getting more used to thinking logically.
If you sacrifice the next 4 to 5 months, you can likely land a jr. dev position by the summer to get your foot in the door.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you sacrifice the next 4 to 5 months, you can likely land a jr. dev position by the summer to get your foot in the door.

I'm hoping I wont have to but you never know what the future holds financially, life is a good at humbling people lol. I'm glad to have that option open at-least because I don't want to go back to college for 3 years,

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
I'm trying to download Python so I can begin my Udemy course but it won't run because some component from Windows Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package isn't working correctly. And when I try to reinstall that component, it prompts me saying the attempt failed. I'm stuck in an endless loop :mjcry: can someone help me PLEASE :mjcry: no troubleshooting online has helped that I came across :mjcry:

keepemup

Banned
Daps
I'm trying to download Python so I can begin my Udemy course but it won't run because some component from Windows Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package isn't working correctly. And when I try to reinstall that component, it prompts me saying the attempt failed. I'm stuck in an endless loop :mjcry: can someone help me PLEASE :mjcry: no troubleshooting online has helped that I came across :mjcry:
You'll have to delete everything visual c++ rwlated, install Python, then reinstall visual c++.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
You'll have to delete everything visual c++ rwlated, install Python, then reinstall visual c++.

:whoa: I have like 10 programs pop up in my Control Panel that are previous versions of Visual C++. I read that I shouldn't remove those because it can mess up the functioning of my other programs.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Can you post a screenshot

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Can you post a screenshot

When I try to download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.23026:

z0lWuY8.png

When I try to download Python 3.5.2:

0rdgquq.png

When I try to repair Visual C++:

yTYpWOq.png

Last edited: