Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
mainly, if you care about performance and robustness, ie any real-time engine or system, a limited resource embedded system, or a server being flooded with requests, java will always be inferior to c++ because of automatic memory management and garbage collector.

automatic memory management usually means there is non-deterministic time of destruction of heap objects (pretty much all java objects). so programmer has no fine control over that. program simply cannot ever assume that at some point unneeded object will be disposed of.

think about it this way, its automatic transmission vs a manual one. if your goal is to get from place a to place b over smooth road and not worry about time, auto will do the trick.

if the goal is to get as fast as possible on a tricky road, manual will by far be best your bet, given you have a very good driver who knows what hes doing. with java you delegate too much control to jvm and garbage collector and pray. and in practice when youre in bad conditions, it just cant perform as well. theres a reason why backends and OSs are built on c or c++

the tradeoff I guess is that if you have a mediocre or average driver (programmer) doing memory management in c/c++, its likely a recipe for a disaster.

there also are also problems with their native threading libraries (although I think relatively recently java addressed some of them), and even their RAII was just introduced recently (java 7 I believe), and that goes back to the destruction of objects.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
mainly, if you care about performance and robustness, ie any real-time engine or system, a limited resource embedded system, or a server being flooded with requests, java will always be inferior to c++ because of automatic memory management and garbage collector.

automatic memory management usually means there is non-deterministic time of destruction of heap objects (pretty much all java objects). so programmer has no fine control over that. program simply cannot ever assume that at some point unneeded object will be disposed of.

think about it this way, its automatic transmission vs a manual one. if your goal is to get from place a to place b over smooth road and not worry about time, auto will do the trick.

if the goal is to get as fast as possible on a tricky road, manual will by far be best your bet, given you have a very good driver who knows what hes doing. with java you delegate too much control to jvm and garbage collector and pray. and in practice when youre in bad conditions, it just cant perform as well. theres a reason why backends and OSs are built on c or c++

the tradeoff I guess is that if you have a mediocre or average driver (programmer) doing memory management in c/c++, its likely a recipe for a disaster.

there also are also problems with their native threading libraries (although I think relatively recently java addressed some of them), and even their RAII was just introduced recently (java 7 I believe), and that goes back to the destruction of objects.
Well God damn breh. I got a course on c# and web dev course from udemy. am I wasting my time since I don't have degree? I know you can build a portfolio with freecodecamp and teamtreehouse but will that help much? I keep seeing mixed things online, some ppl say you can make it without a degree and others say no.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
You can make it without a degree if you put in a ton of stuff in your portfolio and you come off as someone who knows what they are talking about in interviews and show that you have a passion for programming.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Well God damn breh. I got a course on c# and web dev course from udemy. am I wasting my time since I don't have degree? I know you can build a portfolio with freecodecamp and teamtreehouse but will that help much? I keep seeing mixed things online, some ppl say you can make it without a degree and others say no.
you can do a ton of things in java and you could be a great programmer in it. same with c#. just not for backends or something that is crucial to performance.
I like c# a lot if its some shyt I need to put together quickly (some simulator or a test tool for example) and I can do it on windows. its standard containers are really good. IEnumerable is a great interface.

without degree...I dont know Im a pretty old school programmer, I think for a dev career you need experience period the most. you at very least can get into qa and try to jump from there. qa experience will look better on resume than no experience.
at least I wouldnt take anyone for a dev job without experience. I would take someone without degree who has experience and can answer all technical questions on interview. of course, it's better if you have one of them online colleges degrees than no degree at all. even a degree in information systems or whatever that means will look decent. sometimes HR wont even look at people without some communication degree, that much is true.

bootcamp and whatever teach you specific stuff for specific purposes I believe. Im pretty skeptical about those programs, because it isnt a real substitution for knowledge you need to program seriously. but it can be a good start.

I dont think time is wasted if youre getting knowledge. my advice is at some point sit down and think how seriously you want to pursue a career in programming, and to what extent. some people I know who wanted to be devs are happy in qa because its not as stressful or demanding, and theyre still getting good money. some people do UI design which can kinda be considered sorta programming, and there's far less underlying principles and math/logic underneath.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
you can do a ton of things in java and you could be a great programmer in it. same with c#. just not for backends or something that is crucial to performance.
I like c# a lot if its some shyt I need to put together quickly (some simulator or a test tool for example) and I can do it on windows. its standard containers are really good. IEnumerable is a great interface.

without degree...I dont know Im a pretty old school programmer, I think for a dev career you need experience period the most. you at very least can get into qa and try to jump from there. qa experience will look better on resume than no experience.
at least I wouldnt take anyone for a dev job without experience. I would take someone without degree who has experience and can answer all technical questions on interview. of course, it's better if you have one of them online colleges degrees than no degree at all. even a degree in information systems or whatever that means will look decent. sometimes HR wont even look at people without some communication degree, that much is true.

bootcamp and whatever teach you specific stuff for specific purposes I believe. Im pretty skeptical about those programs, because it isnt a real substitution for knowledge you need to program seriously. but it can be a good start.

I dont think time is wasted if youre getting knowledge. my advice is at some point sit down and think how seriously you want to pursue a career in programming, and to what extent. some people I know who wanted to be devs are happy in qa because its not as stressful or demanding, and theyre still getting good money. some people do UI design which can kinda be considered sorta programming, and there's far less underlying principles and math/logic underneath.
How do I get into QA and what do I need to know to get the job? Is UI design different from front dev?

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
How do I get into QA and what do I need to know to get the job? Is UI design different from front dev?
good question, I actually dont know how they make the first jump into qa from no experience, but companies definitely a lot of easier on qa in interviews and overall their expectations (obviously) then the devs. Ill ask around.

UI is mostly basically using easy front end apis from front end devs, so its mostly design work with some light coding- may differ by companies/product tho

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
good question, I actually dont know how they make the first jump into qa from no experience, but companies definitely a lot of easier on qa in interviews and overall their expectations (obviously) then the devs. Ill ask around.

UI is mostly basically using easy front end apis from front end devs, so its mostly design work with some light coding- may differ by companies/product tho
Thank you very much breh

Daps
Great reply, just what I was looking for, thanks breh. I'll definitely go the API route, just need to find some that will give the info I'm looking for.

Actually your app was what I had in mind, but couldn't remember where I saw it. That's really a great job and the results speak for themselves. Congrats!

Just go API. Screen scraping is a losing game and will make you go nuts. Shyt will be breaking all the time.

Daps
Loading screen in blender (NOT MINE):

5fma63z5j7fx.gif

holy s***!

I didn't know that's how they did those fancy loading multicolored loading screens. this is what i love about computer graphics, with a couple clever tricks you can pull off a lot of sophisticated things.

Daps
My corny, shytty, low poly chess scene is done.

Q3q2tXf.png

how long would you say the setup time for Antergos is? I'm guessing it's your primary OS right? I'm going to buy a new SSD and install Linux on it, and slowly transfer everything not gaming related there. I'm increasingly of the opinion that Windows is :scust::trash:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how long would you say the setup time for Antergos is? I'm guessing it's your primary OS right? I'm going to buy a new SSD and install Linux on it, and slowly transfer everything not gaming related there. I'm increasingly of the opinion that Windows is :scust::trash:

It comes with a graphical installer. It's just as easy as installing windows. No need for complicated commands or anything.

I can't fukk with windows though. It's a massive spying tool.

Last edited:
Daps
Daps
Don't dignify that with further responses. Clearly a troll. Millions of smart, competent devs swear by Java. You might not like iit for personal reasons but it has a proven track record in the industry.