Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Completely cosign about spreading out too many languages/frameworks part.

I've used way too many different languages only to realize there's just no swiss-army knife for everything. After I learn Elixir and Elm to get some work with functional programming I'm going to run with those, Golang and React for the next few years barring anything MAJOR groundbreaking language that renders everything else obsolete. Just going to pick and choose which one would be best for a situation. Sticking with mySQL for the DB.

Yet another cosign. CSS Modules actually made me enjoy writing CSS along with Flexbox and @keyframes for animation. It really makes dealing with CSS so much easier. Went from making websites that look like they belong in the 90's to a more modern look with even less struggle than it took to design ugly looking websites. It just forces you to look at things one-by-one. It's almost just like normal code. I used to get major anxiety writing that CSS, it was tough.

I have a feeling a lot of people would that hated CSS would find it much more tolerable using those modules. www.css-tricks.com has awesome tutorials too, especially their flexbox one which is really robust and gets to the point with great diagrams.

Only thing to watch out for is applying element tags to those modules, I'm not sure if it's the same in Angular 2 but in React's CSS because from what I've seen writing CSS with an element selector in a module will affect all the other elements of the same type in other modules. Not 100% on this, but that was my observation.

Slowly, but surely, understanding the correct path of learning is coming to me. My problem before was I was spreading myself around, trying to learn all kinds of different languages. I've done projects in Ruby, Javascript, dabbled with C++, went through a book on Java, one on C#, dabbled with Python, etc. I don't regret that because I learned there are similarities between all those languages, and if need be, I could focus and work on projects in most of those languages given a bit of ramp-up time... but the point I'm at now is that I've just picked a few tools and I'm focusing on 'making things' as opposed to trying to know all the features this or that framework or language provides. I think it's important for people to just pick a few tools that vibe with them and run with it and make stuff. When you get to the job, if your job requires you to use some other framework, then use that, but don't waste time trying to be a master of several frameworks that essentially do the same thing. No need to try to master Angular 2, Ember and React. It'll just leave you being mediocre at all 3.

Right now I'm pretty much just operating within the JS/Typescript world, learning full stack development, and I'm also dabbling with game development in both C# and JS. The next few months, my focus is going to actually be on books that show me how to build actual projects with the occasional code style type book.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm glad this thread is finally start to bubble. Not too many programmers out here, so it's refreshing being able to talk to people with similar interests.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I really need to pair with a designer because my design skills are awful.

jajahoe

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
KIlleen, TX
I'm struggling with this object oriented programming brehs. Any pointers (pun intended). I'm coming from C and going to C++. When I start programming I naturally go in the mind frame of functional programming. So my C++ programs are just like C programs.

Daps
I'm struggling with this object oriented programming brehs. Any pointers (pun intended). I'm coming from C and going to C++. When I start programming I naturally go in the mind frame of functional programming. So my C++ programs are just like C programs.

Are you using C++ for a specific reason? C++ is a cobbled together mess of a language. OO is just tacked on. If you truly want to learn Object Oriented style of programming go for Java or C# as they were designed to be OO languages from the ground up and restrict you from mixing up styles like you could in C++

Python is also a good option but it's also a scripting language.

and a final note:

C / C++ style of programming is commonly referred to as 'procedural'

Java / C# / Python (to a lesser extent) are OO

When devs talk about 'functional' programming languages they are usually referring to Lisp, Scheme, Haskell, Scala ... etc.

Read this breh: Functional vs. Procedural Programming Language

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
Python is also a good option but it's also a scripting language.

Just to give a little clear understanding about Python,

It is a proper language just as the other's you've named the only error is that it isn't a "scripting language". it does perform well at scripting but within Python, a script is usually in reference to a "top-level" program while a traditional "program" is going to much more larger and such.

Python is a pretty solid beginners language and it's pretty potent/powerful once you've grasped it. just to give an example, as far as my researched have shown YouTube uses a lot of python within it's site programming.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing

what exact issues are you having?

Daps
Python is a pretty solid beginners language and it's pretty potent/powerful once you've grasped it. just to give an example, as far as my researched have shown YouTube uses a lot of python within it's site programming.

:salute:

Python is fantastic breh :wow: Beginner friendly. Powerful.

It truly makes my blood boil seeing beginner's coming into this thread complaining about pointers and segfaults :francis:

I think everyone should try at least one language in each paradigm just to expand your mind as a programmer. But for the love of god pick the right tools for the job.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Do any of you brehs know of any reputable, low-cost iOS development houses?

I'd prefer domestic, but I'm open to something international.

I have an idea I want to get moving ASAP.

@kevm3

Don't know of any off of the top of my head. Hopefully one of the other fellas in here can chime in

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Slowly, but surely, understanding the correct path of learning is coming to me. My problem before was I was spreading myself around, trying to learn all kinds of different languages. I've done projects in Ruby, Javascript, dabbled with C++, went through a book on Java, one on C#, dabbled with Python, etc. I don't regret that because I learned there are similarities between all those languages, and if need be, I could focus and work on projects in most of those languages given a bit of ramp-up time... but the point I'm at now is that I've just picked a few tools and I'm focusing on 'making things' as opposed to trying to know all the features this or that framework or language provides. I think it's important for people to just pick a few tools that vibe with them and run with it and make stuff. When you get to the job, if your job requires you to use some other framework, then use that, but don't waste time trying to be a master of several frameworks that essentially do the same thing. No need to try to master Angular 2, Ember and React. It'll just leave you being mediocre at all 3.

Right now I'm pretty much just operating within the JS/Typescript world, learning full stack development, and I'm also dabbling with game development in both C# and JS. The next few months, my focus is going to actually be on books that show me how to build actual projects with the occasional code style type book.

Seriously, even giving it more thought, I'm not even going to touch Elm and going to keep going with React instead. I don't want to spread myself too thin and value depth over breadth. Just going to run with Golang, React and Elixir/Phoenix and brush up on vanilla Javascript and jQuery with CSS.

I know in interviews they'll ask why I chose to use a certain language for a project, the answer "because I wanted to try something new" won't hold as much weight as giving them the pros and cons of what I chose.

I mainly learn by building projects too. I'll end up picking a language and thinking about what I want to make with it and as build I'll learn how to use the language to add features the features that I want to the project. Right now I'm building a Yelp-type app with Elixir/Phoenix. After that I'll start my job search.

I haven't found too many project-based books, but know they're out there.
Web Development with Go: Building Scalable Web Apps and RESTful Services is a great book that's project-based for anyone else interested in building something with Golang. I highly recommend this one after getting some of the syntax down.

Daps
Seriously, even giving it more thought, I'm not even going to touch Elm and going to keep going with React instead. I don't want to spread myself too thin and value depth over breadth. Just going to run with Golang, React and Elixir/Phoenix and brush up on vanilla Javascript and jQuery with CSS.

I know in interviews they'll ask why I chose to use a certain language for a project, the answer "because I wanted to try something new" won't hold as much weight as giving them the pros and cons of what I chose.

I mainly learn by building projects too. I'll end up picking a language and thinking about what I want to make with it and as build I'll learn how to use the language to add features the features that I want to the project. Right now I'm building a Yelp-type app with Elixir/Phoenix. After that I'll start my job search.

I haven't found too many project-based books, but know they're out there.
Web Development with Go: Building Scalable Web Apps and RESTful Services is a great book that's project-based for anyone else interested in building something with Golang. I highly recommend this one after getting some of the syntax down.

Nice, I will check that book out fa sho. But start the job search NOW fam. Interviews are just as much a learning process as building actual products and in fact you could say interviews are a separate beast in and of themselves.

Whiteboard interviews ... :sadcam: