So yall wont blame teachers for the state of black children?Then why blame politicians for the state of black adults

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Nobody is using words like that. Are we posting that way? Simply using conjunctions, and pronouncing words properly is viewed as bad. Why even code switch in the first place? You’re admitting what we’re saying is true. I would have to put more effort into code switching, than to just speak properly. It is not natural to use broken English to me.
This is a disgusting, bourgeoisie attitude. No wonder the kids didn't like you.

If you went to school in Jamaica and insisted on the Queen's English in situations where others relaxed into local patois, you would be seen as a standoffish weirdo, iow, as a member of an outgroup.

Language registers work the same in every dialect everywhere. White kids don't talk the same to each other as they do to adults either.

In sociolinguistics, a register is a variety of language used for a particular purpose or particular communicative situation. For example, when speaking officially or in a public setting, an English speaker may be more likely to follow prescriptive norms for formal usage than in a casual setting, for example, by pronouncing words ending in -ing with a velar nasal instead of an alveolar nasal (e.g., walking rather than walkin'), choosing words that are considered more "formal" (such as father vs. dad or child vs. kid), and refraining from using words considered nonstandard, such as ain't and y'all...

In one prominent model, Martin Joos describes five styles in spoken English:[3]

• Frozen: Also referred to as static register. Printed unchanging language, such as biblical quotations, often contains archaisms. Examples are the Pledge of Allegiance of the United States of America and other "static" vocalizations. The wording is exactly the same every time it is spoken.
  • Formal: One-way participation; no interruption; technical vocabulary or exact definitions are important; includes presentations or introductions between strangers.
  • Consultative: Two-way participation; background information is provided – prior knowledge is not assumed. "Back-channel behavior" such as "uh huh", "I see", etc. is common. Interruptions are allowed. For example teacher/student, doctor/patient, or expert/apprentice.
  • Casual: In-group friends and acquaintances; no background information provided; ellipsis and slang common; interruptions common. This is common among friends in a social setting.
  • Intimate: Non-public; intonation more important than wording or grammar; private vocabulary. Also includes non-verbal messages. This is most common among family members and close friends.

Justin Nitsuj

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Does the word "indoctrination" sounds familiar to y'all?

White supremacy has been teaching us and our children this for centuries. I don't blame the parents or the children for what they being taught or for what they not being taught.

MuzzyP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South Carolina
:why: You got clowned because kids don't talk like that to each other, weirdo! That's what I was trynna say in the other thread.

If I had been turning double dutch and yelled, "Halt the proceedings! Dost I spy a titty in the rope?! Forsooth and tally ho, mesdames!", they woulda robbed me and took my lunch money.

Be 20 yrs older and still not understand the purpose or utility of code switching, brehs. :mjlol:
Woman we were speaking English, not quoting Shakespeare! Not trying to sound dumber to impress the ignorant kids.

Though of you want to get Shakespearean about it...."To thine own self be true"

Last edited:

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Does the word "indoctrination" sounds familiar to y'all?

White supremacy has been teaching us and our children this for centuries. I don't blame the parents or the children for what they being taught or for what they not being taught.

You can't even understand what white supremacy is if you cant read/comprehend.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Woman we were speaking English, not quoting Shakespeare! Not trying to sound dumber to impress the ignorant kids.

Remember when a kid who talked proper would say something. And you just repeat what they said in an exaggerated white man tone, and everyone bust out laughing
wVDOf3.gif

We were hack,wanna be def jam comedians,forgive us:respect:. But lets not act like everyone who failed to blend in didnt get it,and probably got it worst. In the schools I was in(inner city) people didnt mercilessly tease nerds. They were probably just outcasted into a group with others who didnt blend. And in schools I went to with a few whites and non blacks. They normally just ended up hanging out with whites. 1 or 2 were funny enough and still hung around.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
No I’m not blaming the teachers. :dahell: All it takes is 1 or 2 student to disrupt the class and mess it up for every one else.
Imagine you’re a teacher in a poor city and you got 4 lil NBA Young boys, 2 King Vons, and some hoodrats in your class. You think the teachers gonna be able to do anything?
... and a Young Thuuuug in a pear treeeeee! :damn:

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS

"Dumber to impress the ignorant kids." Or... maybe... hear me out... speak so you can be understood, no matter the audience...? :dahell:

I hate this weird, supercilious, high horse former nerds get on in these conversations. When I was tested in 4th grade, I was found to be reading at college level, easily. I was more literate than almost every adult I encountered, sans certain professionals. I got no points stunting on kids and neither did you, quiet as its kept. You just wanted to shyt on them kids bc they called you corny. :mjlol:
I at least hope you put all that fly shyt toward learning a few other languages. :russell:

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Dumber to impress the ignorant kids." Or... maybe... hear me out... speak so you can be understood, no matter the audience...? :dahell:

I hate this weird, supercilious, high horse former nerds get on in these conversations. When I was tested in 4th grade, I was found to be reading at college level, easily. I was more literate than almost every adult I encountered, sans certain professionals. I got no points stunting on kids and neither did you, quiet as its kept. You just wanted to shyt on them kids bc they called you corny. :mjlol:
I at least hope you put all that fly shyt toward learning a few other languages. :russell:

We've actually had kids in gangs that was actually smart when I was coming up.. I don't remember any of the smart kids playing dumb to hang with gangs.. What some of the smart kids did was smoke weed and drink, but they still did well in school..

MuzzyP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South Carolina

So presumptuous. The way I spoke meant I was understood by everyone. What are you talking about?

And what high horse? You're telling me that other people talking chit to me because I sounded too proper just speaking normal, non broken english means I was the one with a problem? Sounds like you're projecting chit onto me for absolutely no reason.

And yes, it was the ignorant kids that would do things like this. You think the kids at the top of the class were trying to shame people for speaking properly? I don't know if you bothered reading my post earlier, but the way I speak is because I was trained to by my mom. It's not a stunt, it's literally the way I grew up speaking. When someone attributes proper enunciation to sounding "white", that makes me sad as fuk because their default is that sounding "black" means speaking in broken english. Personally, I don't believe you have to sound any way to be black. Putting us in this box of ways we have to think, speak, and act makes me sick, and that box is both limiting and damaging.

MuzzyP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South Carolina
Remember when a kid who talked proper would say something. And you just repeat what they said in an exaggerated white man tone, and everyone bust out laughing
wVDOf3.gif

We were hack,wanna be def jam comedians,forgive us:respect:. But lets not act like everyone who failed to blend in didnt get it,and probably got it worst. In the schools I was in(inner city) people didnt mercilessly tease nerds. They were probably just outcasted into a group with others who didnt blend. And in schools I went to with a few whites and non blacks. They normally just ended up hanging out with whites. 1 or 2 were funny enough and still hung around.
It's no big deal really. Kids are gonna rip on you, part of growing up. My mind is just blown that somehow speaking properly means I'm bourgeoise. No, just adhering to my training.

Now if you want me to sound country, you get some drinks in me.

giphy.gif

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
So presumptuous. The way I spoke meant I was understood by everyone. What are you talking about?

And what high horse? You're telling me that other people talking chit to me because I sounded too proper just speaking normal, non broken english means I was the one with a problem? Sounds like you're projecting chit onto me for absolutely no reason.

And yes, it was the ignorant kids that would do things like this. You think the kids at the top of the class were trying to shame people for speaking properly? I don't know if you bothered reading my post earlier, but the way I speak is because I was trained to by my mom. It's not a stunt, it's literally the way I grew up speaking. When someone attributes proper enunciation to sounding "white", that makes me sad as fuk because their default is that sounding "black" means speaking in broken english. Personally, I don't believe you have to sound any way to be black. Putting us in this box of ways we have to think, speak, and act makes me sick, and that box is both limiting and damaging.
I 100% hear you, but you're not hearing me. I, too, was raised speaking 'standard English'. But at a certain point, anybody with any degree of emotional IQ has to realize that the way you're communicating is not the most effective bc, instead of focusing on your message, they're stalled by the dialect you chose.

I grew up in a neighborhood with ados, lots of spanish speakers, less french speakers, but still a decent minority. I spoke Spanglish to the Spanish speakers, French to the Senegalese, and AAVE to my hood brethren. It's not complicated. If you want to be understood, you know how. If you want to build a linguistic wall, you obviously know how to do that as well.

The best way to make standard English accessible to hood folk is to sneak it in. I find that there are simply some words I can't do without. So I speak regular ass AAVE until I get to that word, quickly provide a synonym, and move along. They get it. They're not idiots.

I feel like your approach causes the problems. Yes, you. I was actually ashamed of you nikkas growing up bc you made us all look bad and weird. Classifying CHILDREN as ignorant is ridiculous. Seriously. Re -read that back to yourself.

Nobody has ever said I sound white (for long). I went to an Ivy and speak several languages. Don't be a dikkhead to your own people. The 'Talented Tenth' has a certain responsibility to be accessible (which is where the current crop goes wrong).

MuzzyP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South Carolina
I 100% he
I 100% hear you, but you're not hearing me. I, too, was raised speaking 'standard English'. But at a certain point, anybody with any degree of emotional IQ has to realize that the way you're communicating is not the most effective bc, instead of focusing on your message, they're stalled by the dialect you chose.

I grew up in a neighborhood with ados, lots of spanish speakers, less french speakers, but still a decent minority. I spoke Spanglish to the Spanish speakers, French to the Senegalese, and AAVE to my hood brethren. It's not complicated. If you want to be understood, you know how. If you want to build a linguistic wall, you obviously know how to do that as well.

The best way to make standard English accessible to hood folk is to sneak it in. I find that there are simply some words I can't do without. So I speak regular ass AAVE until I get to that word, quickly provide a synonym, and move along. They get it. They're not idiots.

I feel like your approach causes the problems. Yes, you. I was actually ashamed of you nikkas growing up bc you made us all look bad and weird. Classifying CHILDREN as ignorant is ridiculous. Seriously. Re -read that back to yourself.

Nobody has ever said I sound white (for long). I went to an Ivy and speak several languages. Don't be a dikkhead to your own people. The 'Talented Tenth' has a certain responsibility to be accessible (which is where the current crop goes wrong).
I was going to invite you to a lovely seafood dinner over skype with a dial up internet connection, but you cut me deep just now.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
You gotta earn that fiber date.

:ohhh:I just looked at your location and now I get it.

Most of my maternal side is still in SC. They have what I call in my head a 'clean' Southern accent: very light, more genteel southern than bamma. From my limited inquiry, it appears to be an important class marker. (I have a funny SC story about 'integrating' a midnight b ball tournament simply by allowing my voice to be heard. And a not so funny SC story about deterring a potential rapist, just bc he heard my voice. The South is a strange place, SC may be singular but I don't know enough to say.)

In my city, your stock goes up the more people you can 'fluently' speak to. If you can't signify in group status with son who be outside the bodega, you might stumble upon a bad situation. Meanwhile, I've had Dominicans actually put up an arm to keep me out the store when shyt was going down, like, 'This not for you, mami.'

I realized this around 10-11 and responded by learning languages, LOTS of languages, ALL the languages. I even tried to teach myself Italian (but had nobody to talk to). I once got a free cab ride from an old school yellow cab bc he was an old Greek man, we chatted, and I told him I know classical Greek. He looked like Archie Bunker, but damn sure shot his shot. :pachaha:

(Tip to my coli brehs: if this old Greek, reformed racist, future trick felt so bold, shoot your fukking shot. :mindblown: )