So xbox series X is the more powerful console, but doesn't have the exclusives that Sony has

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The “AAA” games that will release on gamepass are going to be from Microsoft. No 3rd party publisher is going to agree to put single player games on a service day one.

We will see what effect putting big single player games on the service will be for microsoft very soon
We have already seen 3rd party AAA games launch on gamepass.

Established franchises probably won’t. But new/unproven games and concepts can and do benefit from launching on gamepass.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
To be fair, a Triple A game really means a high budget, high profile game. In that sense, Game Pass has had a few of them launch day 1 (their own games, such as Halo, Forza, I think Gears 5. You can also count MLB The Show now). But what I think you and other people say is that there aren't enough games that really make you go "wow, I need to go buy an Xbox to play this stuff". Most of the games on Xbox you can play on PlayStation one way or another, then of course you have the high profile games Sony offers. In comparison Xbox doesn't seem to be offering much. They know this too, which is why they pitch Gamepass so hard.

Yeah its really only MS own 1P games that are the AAA games that launch day one on GP, and even then, we just saw them take a whole year off. MLB is probably the only exception I can think of.

3rd parties know there's way more money in selling their games themselves when the demand is highest (at launch), then accepting a check from MS and missing out in all of that money from direct sales. That's why you never see a COD or Battlefield or Far Cry drop day one on GP.

Your last point is key. MS has pretty much accepted they cant compete with Sony (or Nintendo) with making those high profile games, so they've been positioning themselves as "the best deal" in gaming. If they can't be Ruth Chris, they'll just be McD's instead.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Didn't take long for bots to start lying about AAA games on Game Pass :mjlol:

I guess when you already got no games then shyt like Zombie Survivors and Pentiment are AAA.

I’m saying though what day 1 games? I’m curious because my x has been collecting dust this year :jbhmm:

Scorn, tunic? Are those AAA day one games?

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Depends on the games you want to play. Microsoft has the high profile multiplayer and racing games. Soon to be RPGs as well.

Sony has the cinematic action type games.

While this is true, the attitude for a lot is that there isn't enough of a "wow" game(s) to convince people to buy an Xbox over a Playstation when comparing their game libraries as a whole. That's been the problem for years, no matter how much Microsoft tries to dress it up.

Yeah its really only MS own 1P games that are the AAA games that launch day one on GP, and even then, we just saw them take a whole year off. MLB is probably the only exception I can think of.

3rd parties know there's way more money in selling their games themselves when the demand is highest (at launch), then accepting a check from MS and missing out in all of that money from direct sales. That's why you never see a COD or Battlefield or Far Cry drop day one on GP.

Your last point is key. MS has pretty much accepted they cant compete with Sony (or Nintendo) with making those high profile games, so they've been positioning themselves as "the best deal" in gaming. If they can't be Ruth Chris, they'll just be McD's instead.

If Microsoft had a stronger first party then Game Pass would be a more incredible deal than it already is. You're right. AAA third party developers are probably not going to put their games on GP for a few months/years because it isn't in their best interest. Smaller developers may see it as a better deal to put their games on the platform because it would give them more exposure than not putting it on Game Pass.

It brings us right back to the first point. MS needs to have a stronger first party to pump out relevant, hype games in a timely manner than the near extreme dripfeed they are doing now.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
now you know that don't count :rudy:

Yeah, it wont count, then i will mention Dreams, that won’t count, then I’ll mention Destruction All Stars it got a bad metacritic so it won’t count, Predator hunting grounds that won’t count becaus….of reasons, then sackboy, then VR games…then…

And this is how the rest of the thread will go. If we ignore all the other genres Sony makes games in we can say they only make one kind of game (which aren’t even the same genre outside of not being first person)

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yeah, it wont count, then i will mention Dreams, that won’t count, then I’ll mention Destruction All Stars it got a bad metacritic so it won’t count, Predator hunting grounds that won’t count becaus….of reasons, then sackboy, then VR games…then…

And this is how the rest of the thread will go. If we ignore all the other genres Sony makes games in we can say they only make one kind of game (which aren’t even the same genre outside of not being first person)

Sony Stans :mjlol:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
If Microsoft had a stronger first party then Game Pass would be a more incredible deal than it already is. You're right. AAA third party developers are probably not going to put their games on GP for a few months/years because it isn't in their best interest. Smaller developers may see it as a better deal to put their games on the platform because it would give them more exposure than not putting it on Game Pass.

It brings us right back to the first point. MS needs to have a stronger first party to pump out relevant, hype games in a timely manner than the near extreme dripfeed they are doing now.

That's a huge "IF", because I dont even think Game Pass would exist how it currently does if MS had a comparable 1P to Sony.

We're definitely going to see an increase in subscription price and MS closing the loop holes that people are exploiting for cheap subscription before MS starts releasing their big 1P games. Phil has already hinted at this himself recently in that recent WSJ interview.

And, we've been waiting over 10 years for MS to get their shyt together with their first party. They aren't exactly giving people much confidence when a huge disaster with their crown jewel IP like Halo Infinite happened, or when Starfield looked how it did at the last E3. None of their games have release dates / release windows either, which is crazy when you're paying an ongoing subscription fee while waiting for these games.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
That's a huge "IF", because I dont even think Game Pass would exist how it currently does if MS had a comparable 1P to Sony.

We're definitely going to see an increase in subscription price and MS closing the loop holes that people are exploiting for cheap subscription before MS starts releasing their big 1P games. Phil has already hinted at this himself recently in that recent WSJ interview.

And, we've been waiting over 10 years for MS to get their shyt together with their first party. They aren't exactly giving people much confidence when a huge disaster with their crown jewel IP like Halo Infinite happened, or when Starfield looked how it did at the last E3. None of their games have release dates / release windows either, which is crazy when you're paying an ongoing subscription fee while waiting for these games.
I disagree. I think GP happens regardless. Best way for MS to leverage its strengths. Sony is too entrenched to just "make good games" and win. They would need Sony to make a gigantic fumble, or come up with a Fortnite level hit thst introduces or redefines a genre. Sony can't compete on that angle, which is why they're so pressed to stop the ABK deal.