So we running with the “DaveChapelle is for white ppl” narrative now?

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
So any popular black comedian is for white people. Noted. :mjpls:

So white comedians can step out and become famous and not lose their sense of identity. But the minute a black comedian becomes malleable, he’s not longer a comedian who can speak for black ppl? Hmm.

I mean, it really don’t help when your hangin around with this cac

318071_original.png

horizon

Veteran
Daps
So any popular black comedian is for white people. Noted. :mjpls:

So white comedians can step out and become famous and not lose their sense of identity. But the minute a black comedian becomes malleable, he’s not longer a comedian who can speak for black ppl? Hmm.
Is that what I said or is that your inner cac twisting words? Why do you think he stopped the show when he realized his audience was laughing at him and not with him? :francis:

Like I said, when your show is on Comedy Central cacs are going to be a major part of your audience if not the majority of your audience. You can take the twist word bullshyt somewhere else. :camby:

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Tell us you think Dave Chappelle's career started in 2017 without telling us you think Dave Chappelle's career started in 2017 brehs

:mjlol:

This has been the narrative attached to him his whole career. Nikkas were not rushing to watch Half Baked and some of his earlier specials. It wasn't until his show took off that he got everybody. Even then if you think about it, what shows outside of Chappelle Show did black people watch on Comedy Central? None. Comedy Central is a white network that wanted Chappelle because they knew his audience.

His shows, even til this day, are predominantly white. Dave is like that kid in school who hangs with the whites, but the nikkas still fukk with him. Even though he isn't doing "black comedy" his authenticity and talent can't be ignored, even by us.

So I wouldn't say he is for white people; à la Hannibal Buress, Key & Peele, Tiffany Haddish, etc... But he surely isn't for black people if that makes sense. He is for everybody honestly.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Is that what I said or is that your inner cac twisting words? Why do you think he stopped the show when he realized his audience was laughing at him and not with him? :francis:

Like I said, when your show is on Comedy Central cacs are going to be a major part of your audience if not the majority of your audience. You can take the twist word bullshyt somewhere else. :camby:
I said what you said. You’re just running with a certain narrative that has taken steam do to recent controversies. Yeah he dipped when he realized white ppl were laughing a little too hard at his jokes. But so we’re black ppl. Black ppl weren’t lookin at Chappelle as some c00n back in the early 00s. Ppl in 2021 are taking Chappelle inner conflicts from the early 00s and weaponizing them against Chappelle because they’re offended with who hangs and because of his latest Netflix controversy. It’s all transparent as fukk. No black person was saying this bullshyt in 2004.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Tell us you think Dave Chappelle's career started in 2017 without telling us you think Dave Chappelle's career started in 2017 brehs

This has been the narrative attached to him his whole career. Nikkas were not rushing to watch Half Baked and some of his earlier specials. It wasn't until his show took off that he got everybody. Even then if you think about it, what shows outside of Chappelle Show did black people watch on Comedy Central? None. Comedy Central is a white network that wanted Chappelle because they knew his audience.

His shows, even til this day, are predominantly white. Dave is like that kid in school who hangs with the whites, but the nikkas still fukk with him. Even though he isn't doing "black comedy" his authenticity and talent can't be ignored, even by us.

So I wouldn't say he is for white people; à la Hannibal Buress, Key & Peele, Tiffany Haddish, etc... But he surely isn't for black people if that makes sense. He is for everybody honestly.

You know damn well “being for everybody” if you’re a black comedian basically means “he’s been co-opted by white ppl”. This is the narrative ppl are running with in 2021. Chappelle as a “not-for-black consumption” comedian was always an unpopular opinion before this Netflix shyt. You see him hanging with Rogan and ppl like that, and now it’s “Yeah, he’s always done comedy for white ppl”. :mjlol:
In 2021, identity politics dictates more than ever how you’re views and box ppl wanna put you in.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Sure, because most black people wanna hang out with the man who wants to “hear out” the grievances of white supremacists.
You keep proving my point. It’s not about his actual comedy, it’s about his perceived identity politics because of who he hangs with. :yeshrug:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Dave is a grown ass man and he can do what he wants.

That said, most of us are grown too and we don't need to hero worship like that. He grew up in the richest county in Maryland and claimed DC just so he could tell jokes about babies selling crack in the hood. It's actually kinda wild looking back on his "killing them softly" special knowing that.

But the man is funny. Funny enough to be goated and I'm glad I got to follow his career in the 90s from his appearance as the Malcolm x of Sherwood forest (Men in Tights), his appearance in nutty professor, his role in screwed, to undercover brother, and finally his cult hit in half baked.

I wouldn't say he's for white people but he definitely bounced back and forth between white and black audiences. It is what it is.