So Mariah Carey is a field slave in 'The Butler'

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps
Mariah Carey ‘slave’ scene from ‘The Butler’ stirs ‘house vs. field’ debate | theGrio

mariah-carey-hattie-pearl-16x9.jpg

stevieray.gif

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
Lol At least Django got it right. This one drop rule is a little bit silly, everyone knows Mariah Carrey would have been owning some slaves as light as she is, she can pass.

R.O. Double

Holdin My Balls Since 83
Daps
Reppin
City Of Angels
Mariah could've lived her whole life as a white woman and nobody would've second guessed it. It was just good marketing in the beginning to keep her background ambiguous.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Mariah could've lived her whole life as a white woman and nobody would've second guessed it. It was just good marketing in the beginning to keep her background ambiguous.

No need for good marketing, she is racially ambiguous. Back in the 90s, I knew what she was. But Latinos thought she was a Latina and whites thought she was white. Remember this is before the internet. Heck when I was growing up we thought Paula Abdul was a sista because the only people I knew with the name Abdul were black...no lie.

On the side note, Mariah has said in numerous interviews that she considers herself black.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was afraid that Django was going to start a trend of slave movies. Seriously, this is the year 2013. I feel very uncomfortable seeing a modern movie about African slavery. It's like hollywood is trying to remind us that, "Yeah the president is black but you're still a ****** and beneath us".

Unfortunately most black people are too brainwashed to even care. "lol cool movie I wanna c it, dawg"

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
I swear everytime, I read about mixed race dynamics on this board its :sadcam:

People would rather mixed people have no identity than claim one, if you claim black, you are too light, fukk the one drop rule. If you claim white, you c00nin, or lightskin people think they better.

So basically claim nothing and be ambiguous and have no culture. fukk outta here with that shyt.

Every human wants to be/know/relate to a part of his forefathers past, it's why genealogy means so much.

====

Mariah would have been a slave tha master would be tryna fukk tho... house slave, field slave or sex slave... but she wasn't going to be no white woman equal.

From random ass wiki
Because southern states made slavery an inherited caste, with children taking on the status of the mother, the slave states freed white fathers from economic and social responsibility and kept control of mixed-race unions. They were typically the children of white planters, or their sons or overseers, who had relationships with or had raped and impregnated, enslaved women. By the 18th century in Virginia, travelers already noted the high rate of mixed-race people, and many shades of color found among slaves. There were traveler reports of "white slaves", meaning those who looked white and had only a small part of African ancestry.

and that's only America, shyt was in the Caribbean too...