So how is Kendrick as a technical rapper (Post examples)?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Okay fine, "stabbin bytches like the phantom" is equal to a "down for whatever/aint nuthin nice" hidden meaning and all...

You dont really believe that do you? one is a generic line that any ol numbskull can come up with and would be a throw away line while one is something that you couldnt even catch...
I thought the two lines were a microcosm for the albums as a whole? Now you're back to arguing just those two lines? Isn't that a pointless exercise?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
so back to the topic at hand k dot is a good lyricist in terms of ability to put words together and make them rhyme
and make sense go he is a efficent writer and he don't rhyme the same word so he got a solid vocab and the pattern of his rhymes are different.

so he a great lyricist in terms of rhyming but he has weak metaphors wordplay and punchlines but he is a great ok hook writer and he has a great flow. so i grade him a C+ as a lyricist.

well for one none that emotion stuff or anything like that makes u lyrical for me lyrical means these things
and i never said k dot was not lyrical for the record i think he is a great talent.

1. intricate rhyme patterns
2. metaphors
3. wordplay
4. punchlines
5. hooks
6. content

A C+ lyricist would not be a great talent.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
this is the definiton of efficent

(esp. of a system or machine) Achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense.
(of a person) Working in a well-organized and competent way.
Right. Neither apply to what you said.

intilectual recipricol

Killin fake hip hop
Daps
Reppin
The Brook
I thought the two lines were a microcosm for the albums as a whole? Now you're back to arguing just those two lines? Isn't that a pointless exercise?
Oh, it definitely is a microcosm of the songs, the albums, and the rappers themselves... except MCHG... Jay didnt bring it at all lyrically

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you don't think Kendrick is good with metaphors you're clearly not paying attention to his music. he's actually one of the best with metaphors, he just showcases them through the overall themes of his songs and albums rather than just throwaway bars. a lot of ya'll who say Kendrick lacks lyricism are approaching his music the way you would approach a punchline rapper who rambles and doesn't stay on topic. you have to approach Kendrick's music like you would if you were reading an essay, there's a thesis(the overall concept) and supporting paragraphs(verses/songs).

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
yes u do because if u don't count the syllables in the line how u gonna know if a rapper flow is choppy
or if u don't use bpm checker how u gonna know the speed of the song and better yet how u gonna know if a person rhymes ain't on beat with the kick and the snare u guys don't know shyt about the technical aspects of rapping !.

Your ears failing you if you gotta do all this shyt to figure out if a nikkas flow sucks.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Oh, it definitely is a microcosm of the songs, the albums, and the rappers themselves... except MCHG... Jay didnt bring it at all lyrically
I disagree of course. But on the subject of Jay, I don't think he was ever as sharp or complex as he was on RD - so I think that one line would not work for him as a "microcosm". Of course, one line is a dumb idea to begin with IMHO.

Looty

Looty
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
If you don't think Kendrick is good with metaphors you're clearly not paying attention to his music. he's actually one of the best with metaphors, he just showcases them through the overall themes of his songs and albums rather than just throwaway bars. a lot of ya'll who say Kendrick lacks lyricism are approaching his music the way you would approach a punchline rapper who rambles and doesn't stay on topic. you have to approach Kendrick's music like you would if you were reading an essay, there's a thesis(the overall concept) and supporting paragraphs(verses/songs).

Exactly, you can't take two bars from his lyrics and call it a day, saying that's it? You have to listen the entire 16 and how he puts it in context. Like the people saying he subliminally dissed Aaliyah in Blow My High. I disagree with him being a punchline rapper. All of his songs have meaning, message, he can even create that balance a message and a radio track (Swimming Pools)

I don't know what the op means by technical rapper. He'll have to explain that more in depth to me and I'll try to find a track by K-Dot to match it.

intilectual recipricol

Killin fake hip hop
Daps
Reppin
The Brook
I disagree of course. But on the subject of Jay, I don't think he was ever as sharp or complex as he was on RD - so I think that one line would not work for him as a "microcosm". Of course, one line is a dumb idea to begin with IMHO.
He didnt give it too condensed after RD, but up until MCHG he gave you enough to show he still can... Meanwhile I never got that from naS... Gimme any naS song like "Hovi Baby"