So Chicago Teachers Going On Strike Starting Today?

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Real talk, I'd be a proponent of raising pay IF we made these teachers more accountable and dismantled their union. Most teachers aren't quality as it is. McKinsey did a study saying something like 2/3rds of all teachers graduated in the bottom third of their class. Simply put, we've got morons teaching morons. I'm all for paying teachers six figures if we get some six figure, top 10% at the nation's leading schools kind of talent.

If we want to revitalize our education system, we need to make teaching as prestigious as being an investment banker or a lawyer to attract smart and hardworking people to the job.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Real talk, I'd be a proponent of raising pay IF we made these teachers more accountable and dismantled their union. Most teachers aren't quality as it is. McKinsey did a study saying something like 2/3rds of all teachers graduated in the bottom third of their class. Simply put, we've got morons teaching morons. I'm all for paying teachers six figures if we get some six figure, top 10% at the nation's leading schools kind of talent.

If we want to revitalize our education system, we need to make teaching as prestigious as being an investment banker or a lawyer to attract smart and hardworking people to the job.

thats very unrealistic bruh

teach for america brings in a lot of teachers from the top of their class at some of the highly ranked schools. a lot of these people quit within a month, some quit on day one.....some quit during institute before the school year even starts. they're smart but they're soft and they've never had to deal with any type of adversity in their lives. some of these men let middle school kids make them break down in tears from acting a fool. :dead:

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
thats very unrealistic bruh
teach for america brings in a lot of teachers from the top of their class at some of the highly ranked schools. a lot of these people quit within a month, some quit on day one.....some quit during institute before the school year even starts. they're smart but they're soft and they've never had to deal with any type of adversity in their lives. some of these men let middle school kids make them break down in tears from acting a fool. :dead:
I hate teach for America. Owned by the Goldman Sachs devil.

Most of those people in the program are only there because things didn't work out for them career wise and because they fukked up choosing their major. And they put them in the inner city schools that need the most passionate teachers. :ohlawd:

It's one fo the worst programs and needs to be abolished/put under serious reform, if they want the teachers to make a change in the classroom.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I hate teach for America. Owned by the Goldman Sachs devil.

Most of those people in the program are only there because things didn't work out for them career wise and because they fukked up choosing their major. And they put them in the inner city schools that need the most passionate teachers. :ohlawd:

It's one fo the worst programs and needs to be abolished/put under serious reform, if they want the teachers to make a change in the classroom.

all the people that i know personally who did TFA did pretty well in school.

inner city schools down here like the results they get from the tfa corp members, but they don't like the program because almost all of those teachers leave after they've fulfilled their 2 year committment. tfa members have to do waaaaay more than the other teachers though.

theyre biased though. if you're black/hispanic, they're probably gonna send you to a low income school with wild ass kids

if you're white you have a better chance of getting sent to one of the high performing schools like kipp academy or yes prep

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
all the people that i know personally who did TFA did pretty well in school.
inner city schools down here like the results they get from the tfa corp members, but they don't like the program because almost all of those teachers leave after they've fulfilled their 2 year committment. tfa members have to do waaaaay more than the other teachers though.
theyre biased though. if you're black/hispanic, they're probably gonna send you to a low income school with wild ass kids
if you're white you have a better chance of getting sent to one of the high performing schools like kipp academy or yes prep
When I say fukked up choosing their major, I mean it was something they weren't able to find a job with or it wasn't something they wanted to do. You actually have to have pretty good grades to get into TFA.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Saw a lot of ignorant posts in here so I had to chime in. This strike is NOT about money. Compensation is the least of the issues and they were already close on that issue. The main problem is teacher benefits and job security related to those standardized tests. Think about it, if you've already had benefits in place, is it fair to diminish them? Sure, you may be covered, but what about your family? Also, standardized test should not be used as a tool for evaluating students. I've seen students who did well end up not amounting to shyt,can't conversely, those who did poor and went on to successful careers with multiple degrees. Is a teacher a failure because their student bombs on the SAT? Is the teacher remarkable or just lucky if they happen to have a student who scores a perfect 36 on the ACT? One of the main reasons I didn't pursue a teaching career other than my la k of patience is the beurocracy bullshyt, and those bad ass kids. We never had proper resources in HS...we couldn't even take our textbooks home. I've seen disruptive students damn near assault teachers and the teachers are powerless. Yes, teachers make a decent salary, but at what cost?

Also, I am a product of CPS, and our days weren't that short. 9am-3pm most of the time in grammar school...one year I recall staying as late as 4:30pm on certain days. In HS, it was 8am to about 2:30. It really depended on your schedule, because you may stay past 3, but by senior year, you may leave before 2pm.

Do teachers have it as bad as some other employees? Not really, but that shouldn't factor into what THEY are dealing with. I definitely support the teachers in all this.