@ what part
20hyk9.jpg

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

qmytue4mbuk1iyf1vwyo.jpg

These are the first examples I recall of seeing R&B dudes with the thug aesthetic..

Back in 93.

Like someone else said there were R&B guys that pre date this who were grimey but not with the image to match.

I think u articulated it best. It all really depends on your personal criteria. If you're strictly going by artists who were bout that action then guys like David Ruffin, James Brown, Wilson Pickett and dudes of that era should be at the top. But if you're going for the aestics to match the image then you probably gotta go with Jodeci cuz they looked the part. Nobody was scared of those dudes but they at least had the bad boy / RnB thug image.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thugs don't dance and sing about ghostbusters. lol Even though this was my cut, I can't put bobby on this list

Jodeci , R Kelly were good guys marketing themselves as thugs...they weren't real

Bobby brown was the real deal, dude was getting arrested at concerts , the drugs , everything..... Bobby brown never tried to market himself as a thug.... He was just trying To be himself.... Most swagiest dude ever

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
man it wasnt nothign street and hip hop about bobby brown. he was a ladies man, a bad boy. but the question was the first r and b thug. there was nothing thuggish about b brown's music. his image may have been a thug but his music wasnt. how you a thug dancing and singing about ghostbusters?
If u see some crips c walking go ahead and laugh at them and see what happens.....dancing used to not be looked at in a bad way in fact the best dancer back then got all the love from women my gangster ass uncles used to put they guns on the tabe and get down at my grannys card parties in the 80s even tho they all ended in threats of gun violence