Daps
In terms of image... one of the precursors to modern day R&B thug that never gets acknowledged was Timex Social Club and Michael Marshall... they often get mixed up with Club Nouveau but his whole steez was hiphop and you can see the influence with his style. He later went on to sing the hook on I Got 5 on It.

Bell Biv DeVoe also should be credited as the first real popular R&B group to really blow up hip hop style of dress/appearance... B Brown's style of dress was more late 80's New Jack style off of Don't Be Cruel/ Hammer pants/etc.... BBD's style was more hip hop style of dress.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That niche isn't anything new, you had singers in the '60s doing the very most. :mjpls:

Reccently, I'd say singers like Aaron Hall and Lyfe Jennings.
Yeah. Back in the day singers were with the utmost fukkery, no different than some of your favorite rappers except usually even more disrespectful when it came to women. They were just singing love ballads and not really putting that shyt on their records like that.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
Jackie Wilson was rebellious in his youth I guess and a complete piece of shyt when it came to women but nah

The real answer is Smokey Robinson

My older fam grew up with him THUG ASS nikka FOR REAL like people have no idea Smokey got busy

He just happened to know how to sing....his was in that life...deep deep in that life

Ya Sinning Mane

Superstar
Daps
jbrown2008mug1.jpg
this

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Unquestionably it's Bobby Brown. There may have been guys before him stated in the thread, but he was the Godfather of the R&B Thug lane
Always getting arrested, hard drugs user, bad boy, getting sexual with girls on stage, urinated on a cop car, etc.

Plus he was the first R&B artist to rap actual bars in a song on a regular basis. Perfect examples are "On Your Own" and "Every Little Step I take"

We should all bow down to the Godfather's influence :wow:
When they play both versions of those songs without the rap I be ":francis:". Every Little Step ain't the same without the rap..

"All dem sucka emcees tryna clock my spot:childplease:"

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Jackie Wilson was rebellious in his youth I guess and a complete piece of shyt when it came to women but nah

The real answer is Smokey Robinson

My older fam grew up with him THUG ASS nikka FOR REAL like people have no idea Smokey got busy

He just happened to know how to sing....his was in that life...deep deep in that life

Smokey was speaking from personal experience here