Slave was forced to have sex with other slaves

nightwing2016

All Star
Daps
61Yn-ByOQRL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

718SLTrzTWL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

BERRY-PriceForPoundOfFlesh-quote.jpg

This has been well research even Deborah Grey’s Arn’t I A Woman and Jennifer Morgan’s Laboring Women: Reproduction and Gender in New World Slavery have also discussed this including discussion on the fancy trade, the trading of light skinned concubines.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS

Birth of Generational Wealth​

Although the sale of 600 people as part of one estate auction appears to be the largest in American history, the volume itself is hardly out of place on the vast scale of the nation’s chattel slavery system

Ethan Kytle, a history professor at California State University, Fresno, noted that the firm auctioning much of Ball’s estate — Jervey, Waring & White — alone advertised sales of 30, 50 or 70 people virtually every day.

“That adds up to 600 pretty quickly,” Kytle said. He and his wife, the historian Blain Roberts, co-wrote “Denmark Vesey’s Garden,” a book that examines what he called the former Confederacy’s “willful amnesia” about slavery, particularly in Charleston, and urges a more honest accounting of it.

Slavery was a form of mass commerce, he said. It made select white families so wealthy and powerful that their surnames still form a sort of social aristocracy in places like Charleston.

Although no evidence has surfaced yet about how much the auction of 600 people enriched the Ball family, the amount Ann Ball paid for about one-third of them is recorded in her bills of sale buried within the boxes and folders of family papers at the South Carolina Historical Society. They show that she doled out $79,855 to purchase 215 people — a sum worth almost $2.8 million today.

The top dollar she paid for a single human was $505. The lowest purchase price was $20, for a person known as Old Peg.

Enslaved people drew widely varied prices depending on age, gender and skills. But assuming other buyers paid something comparable to Ann Ball’s purchase price, an average of $371 per person, the entire auction could have netted in the range of $222,800 — or about $7.7 million today — money then distributed among Ball Jr.’s heirs, including Ann.

They weren’t alone in profiting from this sale. Enslaved people could be bought on credit, so banks that mortgaged the sales made money, too. Firms also insured slaves, for a fee. Newspapers sold slave auction ads. The city of Charleston made money, too, by taxing public auctions. These kinds of profits helped build the foundation of the generational wealth gap that persists even today between Black and white Americans.

Jervey, Waring & White took a cut of the sale as well, enriching the partners’ bank accounts and their social standing.

Although the men orchestrated auctions to sell thousands of enslaved people, James Jervey is remembered as a prominent attorney and bank president who served on his church vestry, a “generous lover of virtue,” as the South Carolina Society described him in an 1845 resolution. A brick mansion in downtown Charleston bears his name.

Morton Waring married the daughter of a former governor. Waring’s family used enslaved laborers to build a three-and-a-half story house that still stands in the middle of downtown. In 2018, country music star Darius Rucker and entrepreneur John McGrath bought it from the local Catholic diocese for $6.25 million.

Alonzo J. White was among the most notorious slave traders in Charleston history. He also served as chairman of the Work House commissioners, a role that required him to report to the city fees garnered from housing and “correction” of enslaved people tortured in the jail.

“Yet, these men were upheld by high society,” Davila said. “They are remembered as these great Christian men of high value.” After John Ball Jr. died, the City Council passed a resolution to express “a high testimonial of respect and esteem for his private worth and public services.”

GR13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There should be lawsuits brought against filth like this movie. Imagine a movie about a "love story" between a Nazi guard and a Jewish woman during the Holocaust. Jewish ppl would shut that down in a heartbeat.

Also that Black gay dude who made "Slave Play" should have hands put on him. Black trauma should not be trivialized or turned into entertainment for the rest of the world.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps

Birth of Generational Wealth​

Although the sale of 600 people as part of one estate auction appears to be the largest in American history, the volume itself is hardly out of place on the vast scale of the nation’s chattel slavery system

Ethan Kytle, a history professor at California State University, Fresno, noted that the firm auctioning much of Ball’s estate — Jervey, Waring & White — alone advertised sales of 30, 50 or 70 people virtually every day.

“That adds up to 600 pretty quickly,” Kytle said. He and his wife, the historian Blain Roberts, co-wrote “Denmark Vesey’s Garden,” a book that examines what he called the former Confederacy’s “willful amnesia” about slavery, particularly in Charleston, and urges a more honest accounting of it.

Slavery was a form of mass commerce, he said. It made select white families so wealthy and powerful that their surnames still form a sort of social aristocracy in places like Charleston.

Although no evidence has surfaced yet about how much the auction of 600 people enriched the Ball family, the amount Ann Ball paid for about one-third of them is recorded in her bills of sale buried within the boxes and folders of family papers at the South Carolina Historical Society. They show that she doled out $79,855 to purchase 215 people — a sum worth almost $2.8 million today.

The top dollar she paid for a single human was $505. The lowest purchase price was $20, for a person known as Old Peg.

Enslaved people drew widely varied prices depending on age, gender and skills. But assuming other buyers paid something comparable to Ann Ball’s purchase price, an average of $371 per person, the entire auction could have netted in the range of $222,800 — or about $7.7 million today — money then distributed among Ball Jr.’s heirs, including Ann.

They weren’t alone in profiting from this sale. Enslaved people could be bought on credit, so banks that mortgaged the sales made money, too. Firms also insured slaves, for a fee. Newspapers sold slave auction ads. The city of Charleston made money, too, by taxing public auctions. These kinds of profits helped build the foundation of the generational wealth gap that persists even today between Black and white Americans.

Jervey, Waring & White took a cut of the sale as well, enriching the partners’ bank accounts and their social standing.

Although the men orchestrated auctions to sell thousands of enslaved people, James Jervey is remembered as a prominent attorney and bank president who served on his church vestry, a “generous lover of virtue,” as the South Carolina Society described him in an 1845 resolution. A brick mansion in downtown Charleston bears his name.

Morton Waring married the daughter of a former governor. Waring’s family used enslaved laborers to build a three-and-a-half story house that still stands in the middle of downtown. In 2018, country music star Darius Rucker and entrepreneur John McGrath bought it from the local Catholic diocese for $6.25 million.

Alonzo J. White was among the most notorious slave traders in Charleston history. He also served as chairman of the Work House commissioners, a role that required him to report to the city fees garnered from housing and “correction” of enslaved people tortured in the jail.

“Yet, these men were upheld by high society,” Davila said. “They are remembered as these great Christian men of high value.” After John Ball Jr. died, the City Council passed a resolution to express “a high testimonial of respect and esteem for his private worth and public services.”
Thank you for very much for sharing. There is something so unsettling every time it’s mentioned…”the price of xx humans today” just surreal. Also, Darius Rucker…

QBN

All Star
Daps

Yeah heard about this...but this is a Black woman/White man "love story" at the end of the day, which we know Hollywood loves to promote.

I know the actress is half Jewish but she clearly looks like a Black/Non-White woman. If they do a film with a White Jewish actress falling in love with a Nazi guard, I'll stand corrected.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Thank you for very much for sharing. There is something so unsettling every time it’s mentioned…”the price of xx humans today” just surreal. Also, Darius Rucker
I was conflicted on whether I should put that part in bold- I like to be sparing- but it really added the last 'fukk nikkas' to the story. A black man then turned around and paid for that. Wow.

It is unsettling. And please believe, they would do it again in a heartbeat and, in fact, private prisons DO. Currently. Right now.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
When I read the title, that movie imediately came to my mind as well. The criticism on Goodbye Uncle Tom comes from its graphic nature, but I've yet to read or hear of anyone stating that it exaggerated anything. I personally think it needs to hit social media and remind some folks what went actually down.
indeed

also dudes was hard on Tariq about buck breaking,,,,, But actually I think the first time I kinda seen that shyt was in Goodbye Uncle Tom,,,, you really had to read between the lines with that scene with the young boys,,,,, I'm postive thats what the director was trying to say...

shyt crazy!!

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
I could be having the most normal of normal days, and once slavery comes across my mind it brings me so down man.

It was generations ago but ita still an open wound.

And to think where we came from and where were are today
:wow: