Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
who is better though?
I'd rather listen to Skilla Baby than current Eminem

But Detroiters don't fukk with Eminem for the same reason he's so popular

For the same reason a lot of white people don't like rap except for Young Gravy or Eminem

He doesn't represent Detroiters at all

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
People quick to dap and celebrate this while missing the overarching point about regional shyt dying and shifting. The kids don't fukk with Em, fine. But the kids also don't fukk with Dilla, Slum Village, Elzhi, Black Milk, etc. Our entire concept of what Detroit sounded like (hard snares, heavy basslines, etc) is gone. It's been replaced by the scam rap shyt, the bouncier shyt, Bay influences, etc.

I appreciate the fact that the west coast still sounds like the west coast. I'm concerned about the east coast though. That drill shyt is regressive and isn't really doing anything at this point. Meanwhile the city keeps developing young rappers who have never listened to a Biggie, Hov, or Nas album. My point is that rappers we fukk with aren't far removed from receiving the same treatment Em is receiving. And that ain't good.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
His sentiment isn’t surprising. A lot of people in his age group probably never heard of elzhi or dilla and actually a lot of them probably wouldn’t know who boldy black milk or Danny brown are either.

Certain nikkas just stuck on a certain sound and that’s why detroit rap been sounding like it’s stuck in the year 2002 until lately.

If you ask them who the best rapper from the city is they’d either say blade or they wouldn’t be able to give you an answer (like he did basically) because they don’t even know the people from their own city in the first place

TheMailMan

All Star
Daps
ITT: a whole bunch of lames who never been to the blackest city in america:francis:

I been saying the same thing on this site for years but yall fakkits dont listen:francis:

you will never hear em played at any function, party, club, titty bar, kickback, family reunion, cook out, baby shower, barbershop, gender reveal or graduation party:manny:

you will never hear his music blastin out of somebody car riding down 7 mile:manny:

You more likely to hear blade icewood in any of those circumstances and he died in 05:wow:

Local one hit wonders like Drunken master are more likely to get play than em :mjlol:

None of these new nikkas is in a rush tryna remake or sample old em songs like that but Kash Doll got nikkas to float on this Detroit classic on some friday night cypher type shyt

We need this remake
Detroit blues club make it happen

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
People quick to dap and celebrate this while missing the overarching point about regional shyt dying and shifting. The kids don't fukk with Em, fine. But the kids also don't fukk with Dilla, Slum Village, Elzhi, Black Milk, etc. Our entire concept of what Detroit sounded like (hard snares, heavy basslines, etc) is gone. It's been replaced by the scam rap shyt, the bouncier shyt, Bay influences, etc.

I appreciate the fact that the west coast still sounds like the west coast. I'm concerned about the east coast though. That drill shyt is regressive and isn't really doing anything at this point. Meanwhile the city keeps developing young rappers who have never listened to a Biggie, Hov, or Nas album. My point is that rappers we fukk with aren't far removed from receiving the same treatment Em is receiving. And that ain't good.
Eminem was never the city's sound tho

Even all those people you listed, that was never what most Detroit ppl fukked with

It wasn't getting talked about in high school or played on the radio

Above is what was getting played

I'm not diminishing none of those ppl, but I didn't hear most of those names until I was grown and on okayplayer