Shoulder Pain When Benching

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I did. They told me to rest and its been 9 months of rest...i also have a herniated disc. Ive gained 20 lbs this year.

Im now just doing light weights and elleptical. shyt happens.

If it still hurts you might need a second opinion. Get an MRI or something.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
used to have shoulder and wrist pain while benching. tried to do it with a narrower grip and the pain was gone. changing the grip width set me back slightly as far as the weight i could push but i caught up and the "funny" pain was gone.

maybe try to play around with the grip to see what works for you.

1-8-7-Skillz

Superstar
Daps
If you dont do it already start doing rotator cuff exercises at the beginning of every workout (besides legs). Started doin this last year in the summer to also get rid of some funny feeling in my shoulder and since then I aint had no problem with that anymore :ahh:

TGainz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
If you dont do it already start doing rotator cuff exercises at the beginning of every workout (besides legs). Started doin this last year in the summer to also get rid of some funny feeling in my shoulder and since then I aint had no problem with that anymore :ahh:

What exercises do you usually do? I been feeling pain in my shyt while benching lately.

JayYoung713

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx

Your suggestion worked like a charm. Did a lil light rotator cuff exercises before I got to punishing my chest this evening and that shyt worked wonders. I haven't been able to do dips in almost a year due to pain in my left shoulder. I got inspired to give dips a shot by the dips/pull up thread. Pullups haven't been a problem at all but dips have been another story. Long story short I wound up doing 7 sets of 10 dips tonight after a year of not being able to without pain in my shoulder. Its actually some real game being spit in this gym forum.

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
Lacrosse ball has worked wonders for my shoulders

i got some from off amazon and looked up some youtube videos

1-8-7-Skillz

Superstar
Daps
Your suggestion worked like a charm. Did a lil light rotator cuff exercises before I got to punishing my chest this evening and that shyt worked wonders. I haven't been able to do dips in almost a year due to pain in my left shoulder. I got inspired to give dips a shot by the dips/pull up thread. Pullups haven't been a problem at all but dips have been another story. Long story short I wound up doing 7 sets of 10 dips tonight after a year of not being able to without pain in my shoulder. Its actually some real game being spit in this gym forum.

:salute:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
OP, are you stalling now? If not it may be a sign that you are about to...

Do you do shoulder presses/military presses? If not now is the time to start doing them. One of the most underrated lifts in the gym. In terms of your shoulder being weaker than your chest, technically that isnt unusual and expected. I think its the weakest muscle when your lifting. This is why your number for a shoulder press/military press is always the lowest lift compared to your squat,deadlift,bench, and row.

Having an unbalanced body part is one of the main causes for pain when lifting. You cannot be benching say...315 and have shoulders like a schoolboy. You gotta balance it. Cause your shoulders may be getting strained and thats why your feeling that pain.

As for lowering the weight, sometimes that is an option also. Sometimes what i do is go back down 15 pounds whatever the lift is and then just start the journey over...

This is true. After 20 years of lifting I finally got popped with a bone spur in my right shoulder. Basically if I go real heavy on the bench press, incline press, flyes, that same bone spur will tear the deltoids in my right shoulder and I'll feel a burning sensation there.

shyt is depressing right now and I could've avoided it by giving my shoulders more time but as a dumbass I concentrated on blowing up my chest because that's my main glamour muscle. My chest seriously overpowers my deltoids and it got to a point where they said no more.

My orthopedist thinks it's small enough where I can soend time with a physical therapist for the next year to strengthen my shoulder. If that doesn't work then I'll have to get surgery to shave that shyt down and be like "new".

At my worst I would have a constant pain in my right shoulder, a popping sound in my shoulder whenever I lifted my arm above my head, and worse of all I can't sleep on the right side of my body.

So yeah, if you're feeling a pain in your shoulder after benching on a regular basis, get checked out/x-rayed.

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
I had the same type of pains people are discussing in here. I've had shoulder pain, hip pain, and lower back pain for years. Went to a chiropractor on a Groupon because it came with a massage. I never once attributed my pain to my back. Thought it was from working out. Doctor knew exactly what my problem was right away. Took some x-rays and my upper and lower back vertebrae are not good. They pop that shyt and it's like a miracle drug. Luckily I have insurance that covers chiropractor care 100% so I was able to continue therapy. It gave me a whole knew outlook on my health and athletic potential.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
It might be a shoulder/rotator cuff thing. The same thing happened to me in HS. It got to the point where my shoulder would click and I couldn't even get into the position to do a push-up:sadcam:

I started doing stretches with a broomstick and exercises to strengthen my ac (forget the other name) joints. Now I'm good bc I do preventative maintenance on my shoulders.

Also start doing more work for your medial and rear delts. I stopped doing front delt work completely. My shoulders are more healthy and have rounded out more these days:ehh:

Daps
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong either. I think my form is fine but when I'm done there is this lingering pain in my shoulder. Should I lower the weight? or maybe my shoulders are weaker than my chest?

stop immediiately before you get rotator cuff issues :damn:

it happened to me, took almost a yr to heal up