Shoulder Pain When Benching

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You "think" your form is fine.... No way to know unless you post a video.

Make sure you're not going too low on Barbell/DB, whatever it is you do for bench.... A lot of guys think you have to touch the bar to your chest for a rep to count, but it puts a lot of stress on your shoulders to get the weight back up..
You're right. I'm 6'2 so I know I don't have to touch the bar to my chest (it never felt necessary). I brought my grip in closer together and dropped the weight. I'm still looking for minor adjustments I can make.

JayYoung713

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx
I'm dealing with shoulder pain now in my left shoulder and have taken the barbell bench press out of my routine for now. I get a better range of motion using the dumbbells anyway and dumbbell presses seem to get me the definition in my chest I was working towards faster than the barbell bench press. I really don't have too much pain on the incline bench with the barbell so I've kept that in the routine. Dips are murder on my left shoulder now but I've substituted those with push ups which don't cause me a lot of pain. I'm a big fan of military presses and do them at least 2-3 times a week 5x12 but I've had to go lighter weight wise on those in order to still get the same reps. It hurts when I go to raise my left arm for something but I recently took a week off to give my body a rest after working out everyday for almost 2 months straight and noticed no more pain but soon as I got back on my gym grind the pain returned.

Circle p

All Star
Daps
I'm dealing with shoulder pain now in my left shoulder and have taken the barbell bench press out of my routine for now. I get a better range of motion using the dumbbells anyway and dumbbell presses seem to get me the definition in my chest I was working towards faster than the barbell bench press. I really don't have too much pain on the incline bench with the barbell so I've kept that in the routine. Dips are murder on my left shoulder now but I've substituted those with push ups which don't cause me a lot of pain. I'm a big fan of military presses and do them at least 2-3 times a week 5x12 but I've had to go lighter weight wise on those in order to still get the same reps. It hurts when I go to raise my left arm for something but I recently took a week off to give my body a rest after working out everyday for almost 2 months straight and noticed no more pain but soon as I got back on my gym grind the pain returned.
go see a doctor..

bigillwill06

All Star
Daps
When lying down on the bench always keep your chest level raised above shoulder level. This keeps the tension on the pecs and not the shoulders.

JayYoung713

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston Tx
Whoever said bring your grip in closer is my nikka for life! After a week and a half of not benching with the barbell I decided to give it a shot today. I'm sitting in the gym right now on the bench as I type this absolutely no pain and I'm doing sets with 225-275. THANK YOU!!!! My Coli brehs came thru y'all so 100.

Last edited:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Rotator cuffs suck, mine swelled up so bad last February I couldn't even sleep on my back. Even tho it all cleared up, my right one still gets irritated from time to time if I do chest flys, or anything over head.
I usually grab the lat bars for chins and just hang off of them to open that whole area up.

I just started hitting 215 on incline though :francis:.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I usually grab the lat bars for chins and just hang off of them to open that whole area up.

I just started hitting 215 on incline though :francis:.

Ive always sucked at inclines, I haven't barbell inclined in forever, I stick to the machine and dumbbell.

I start PHAT next week and I pray nothing flares up :sadcam:

PaperEnterprise

It's the inner strength..
Daps
Reppin
New York
Retracting the scapula and completely removing dips from my routine have kept me pain free.

I hurt my shoulder so bad, i couldnt sleep...id wake up if i slept on my left shoulder. 9 months later, i still feel the pain.

It happened from slipoing on ice and going to the gym and doing 100 push ups, 100 assisted pull ups and 100 dips...the day after i couldnt move my shoulder

Now im just doing cardio and very light weight exercises.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hurt my shoulder so bad, i couldnt sleep...id wake up if i slept on my left shoulder. 9 months later, i still feel the pain.

It happened from slipoing on ice and going to the gym and doing 100 push ups, 100 assisted pull ups and 100 dips...the day after i couldnt move my shoulder

Now im just doing cardio and very light weight exercises.

I just had minor aches (not even painful) that you get from bench press:manny:

You need to see a doctor.

PaperEnterprise

It's the inner strength..
Daps
Reppin
New York
I just had minor aches (not even painful) that you get from bench press:manny:

You need to see a doctor.
I did. They told me to rest and its been 9 months of rest...i also have a herniated disc. Ive gained 20 lbs this year.

Im now just doing light weights and elleptical. shyt happens.