Shoulder Pain When Benching

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong either. I think my form is fine but when I'm done there is this lingering pain in my shoulder. Should I lower the weight? or maybe my shoulders are weaker than my chest?

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is it muscle pain or joint pain? I'm not gonna be able to help you out, but answering that should help one of these more knowledgeable dudes answer.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
OP, are you stalling now? If not it may be a sign that you are about to...

Do you do shoulder presses/military presses? If not now is the time to start doing them. One of the most underrated lifts in the gym. In terms of your shoulder being weaker than your chest, technically that isnt unusual and expected. I think its the weakest muscle when your lifting. This is why your number for a shoulder press/military press is always the lowest lift compared to your squat,deadlift,bench, and row.

Having an unbalanced body part is one of the main causes for pain when lifting. You cannot be benching say...315 and have shoulders like a schoolboy. You gotta balance it. Cause your shoulders may be getting strained and thats why your feeling that pain.

As for lowering the weight, sometimes that is an option also. Sometimes what i do is go back down 15 pounds whatever the lift is and then just start the journey over...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds like rotator cuff stuff. Stop benching immediately. You get a compete tear is game over. Not worth pushing through
Dips were my favorite until I heard it WILL mess up your shoulders.

OP, are you stalling now? If not it may be a sign that you are about to...

Do you do shoulder presses/military presses? If not now is the time to start doing them. One of the most underrated lifts in the gym. In terms of your shoulder being weaker than your chest, technically that isnt unusual and expected. I think its the weakest muscle when your lifting. This is why your number for a shoulder press/military press is always the lowest lift compared to your squat,deadlift,bench, and row.

Having an unbalanced body part is one of the main causes for pain when lifting. You cannot be benching say...315 and have shoulders like a schoolboy. You gotta balance it. Cause your shoulders may be getting strained and thats why your feeling that pain.

As for lowering the weight, sometimes that is an option also. Sometimes what i do is go back down 15 pounds whatever the lift is and then just start the journey over...
Thanks I'll live the military press a try.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
You can look up the movements to see if its rotator cuff. Might be flexibility or a balance issue if you don't work back as much as chest.

Grip and elbow positioning can put stress on your shoulders too, that and not so good form. Nothing anyone here can do without a video and/or more information but talk outta their ass

4North1Side2

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds like rotator cuff stuff. Stop benching immediately. You get a compete tear is game over. Not worth pushing through

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happened to me years ago exactly like this. I believed "no pain, no gain" fukking up my right shoulder which I never recovered from. Went from benching 300 plus to only being able to bench 135lbs for a few reps in excruciating pain. Weirdly enough I can still wield 130 plus dumbbells and machine press 500 plus pounds.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I'm trying to recover from the shyt now, but I'm slowly trying to accept that I may never be able to BB bench again. BB bench didn't even do it.... it was chest flys. I think I have a small RC tear. Just avoiding all movements that aggravate it and letting it heal.

But yea that is nothing to fukk around with. Once I'm healed up I'm definitely gonna throw RC work in my routine.

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong either. I think my form is fine but when I'm done there is this lingering pain in my shoulder. Should I lower the weight? or maybe my shoulders are weaker than my chest?
You "think" your form is fine.... No way to know unless you post a video.

Make sure you're not going too low on Barbell/DB, whatever it is you do for bench.... A lot of guys think you have to touch the bar to your chest for a rep to count, but it puts a lot of stress on your shoulders to get the weight back up..

KingOFKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
rest for now and rehab, youtube has some good rehab videos.

when you start again, try pressing with your shoulder blades in more and your delts as far back as comfortably possible.

semtex

:)
Daps
You're likely not pinning your shoulders back when benching. Retracting your scapula will lock your shoulders into place. There's hardly any upper body exercise that retracting your scapula won't help with. Lighten up bench and practice doing that.

Zyne

Legend
Supporter
Daps
You're likely not pinning your shoulders back when benching. Retracting your scapula will lock your shoulders into place. There's hardly any upper body exercise that retracting your scapula won't help with. Lighten up bench and practice doing that.
^^^^
Exactly this op, here is a good video showing how it is done

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
stop jacking off so damn much

try not to jack off one day and it will do wonders for your bench press

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just came back from the gym and I brought my grip in closer together and I had no shoulder pain. So I think my grip was just too wide even though I had brought it in already.