Shogun (FX/Hulu) - February 2024 :ohhh:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Finally got around to finishing this shyt. Too much to watch lately.

yabreh finally got thrown in the bushes :ahh: .

Da homie Toranaga still playin' chess.mind games out here burning ships & shyt.

Would've like to see some of the actual battle of course but I'm not mad at them basically given the show an understated prologue and lettin' some of the characters do their work.

"I don't shape the wind. I just study it" Talk that cash tawk shyt, Shogun
full

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Finished this show over the week-end and I quite liked it. I would give it a 7/10.

But Japan man... The absurd rigidness of the customs and decorum is crazy. I'm sure the show was quite faithful to the times and I cringed hard at some of the stuff. Also, death being so "casual" for people because of honor is mad. "Have a good death" lol

One thing I didn't like was the acting of Ochiba which seemed like she was a villain in an anime. Too over the top with the face expressions and diction.

Also, Mariko's english sounded way too good (her son's as well) unless there's something I didn't get in her lineage or past. She should have had a slight accent IMO.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Finished this show over the week-end and I quite liked it. I would give it a 7/10.

But Japan man... The absurd rigidness of the customs and decorum is crazy. I'm sure the show was quite faithful to the times and I cringed hard at some of the stuff. Also, death being so "casual" for people because of honor is mad. "Have a good death" lol

One thing I didn't like was the acting of Ochiba which seemed like she was a villain in an anime. Too over the top with the face expressions and diction.

Also, Mariko's english sounded way too good (her son's as well) unless there's something I didn't get in her lineage or past. She should have had a slight accent IMO.
That region had a Christian foothold for 50 years prior to the show. From what the show suggest she was probably educated by the Jesuits

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Alot of it was faithful to the time and customs, the Japanese did NOT play around when it came to their sense of honor. One thing that was exaggerated was the Taranaga’s foot soldier committing Seppeku WITH his infant son. They didn’t do that in feudal Japan and it actually would have made the entire concept OF Seppeku worthless. The point was to kill yourself and that act would SPARE the honor of your children and family, so killing the baby wouldn’t have been a prerequisite.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

You encouraged the showrunners, Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo, to hire much of the crew from the Japanese film industry. How do you think that affected the ultimate feel of the show?

We needed the Japanese eye to make this show authentic. Some of the crew I had known for more than 40 years — since my 20s — so I knew I could trust them. It was a great team.

Haha, ol boy looking out for his peeps!

TheJet

Superstar
Daps
Finally got around to finishing this shyt. Too much to watch lately.

yabreh finally got thrown in the bushes :ahh: .

Da homie Toranaga still playin' chess.mind games out here burning ships & shyt.

Would've like to see some of the actual battle of course but I'm not mad at them basically given the show an understated prologue and lettin' some of the characters do their work.

"I don't shape the wind. I just study it" Talk that cash tawk shyt, Shogun
full
Too much to watch? What else is out?

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Too much to watch? What else is out?

I mean, this was over a month ago (my post) lol

At the time, for me, there was The Bear, Mayor of Kingstown was byke rockin', House of The Dragon, I was behind on X-Men 97', & I wanna say Presumed Innocent was on too. Shyt, maybe even The Boys too.