Shogun (FX/Hulu) - February 2024 :ohhh:

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
but that example doesn't represent all the Japanese men on the show...that's reaching breh...there are examples of Japanese men being respectful to their women and holding them in high value...of you came with that conclusion after watching 5 episodes then you are not watching

Buntaro and Mariko is just one representation of a bad situation

:francis:

So it just so happens that the white savior who is the protagonist of the show happens to be involved with an abused japanese woman. Its so clearly some sort of tact-on nonsense that would of come from none other than a white guy.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
:francis:

So it just so happens that the white savior who is the protagonist of the show happens to be involved with an abused japanese woman. Its so clearly some sort of tact-on nonsense that would of come from none other than a white guy.

I've been watching west media my whole life .... these types of messaging is expected...therefore, if I love a tv show as a whole...i can compartmentalize that part of the story and move on to the more interesting things on the show like what Ishidp and Ochiba are plotting :why:

no one here is talking about that just continuously pointing out the obvious

Arianne Martell

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where and what episode have we seen Japanese men treating their wives with respect? So far i’ve seen a man RIP his newborn baby out of his wife’s arms so he can kill both himself and the child. No respect or thought for the mother or her feelings. I’ve seen a man watch a whore fukk his subordinate while he watched. I’ve seen the woman who previously had her child RIPPED from her arms and killed made to be a consort to a stranger from a foreign land (i.e. she must cook for him, clean for him and fukk him should he desire it.) i’ve seen a woman beaten and abused by her husband. Mariko even asks Blackthorne if where he’s from if women are as cherished and protected as he fake claimed when he was trying to protect Taranaga’s hiding place.

Its a classic story telling technique when doing the “stranger in a strange land” trope, and ESPECIALLY when its mixed with the white savior narrative. Introduce the splendor and exotic nature of the culture whilst simultaneously reducing the key representatives of that culture to the worst that the society has to offer. A man who boils other men alive and takes pleasure in voyeurism. A man who couldn’t keep his mouth shut and therefore forced himself to kill himself and murder his baby. A man who beats his wife and shoots arrows at her. This is all to make the white man who doesn’t bathe and hangs rotten pheasants on his door look all the more appealing in comparison. Not even the cunning, noble, somewhat shall we say “benevolent” leader cares about women. He’s stated his distaste for beautiful women and the only time he’s seen interacting with any woman he’s ordering them to do something they don’t want to do.

Did you missed the part where Kiku's life was spared b/c she was the best grandchild of Hiromatsu? Kiku being a consort to the anjin im sire that you see that is part of a bigger plan.

did you not see when Kiku was going to kill herslef and Mariko told the men to fall back...did they not obey?

Women are essential part of Taranaga's plans from diplomatics to covert operation.

Did you not see when a woman assassin was sent to kill the anjin?

if anything the Japanese men are as oppressed as women on the show.

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
buntaro the abusive husband

cac the knight in shining armor - even dropped feminist bars

:mjpls:
Literally low hanging fruit that I peeped from the start
I've been watching west media my whole life .... these types of messaging is expected...therefore, if I love a tv show as a whole...i can compartmentalize that part of the story and move on to the more interesting things on the show like what Ishidp and Ochiba are plotting :why:

no one here is talking about that just continuously pointing out the obvious
I think the problem is, in 2024 why are writers still scripting tired old scripts like this.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there are examples of Japanese men being respectful to their women and holding them in high value

Did you missed the part where Kiku's life was spared b/c she was the best grandchild of Hiromatsu? Kiku being a consort to the anjin im sire that you see that is part of a bigger plan.

Women are essential part of Taranaga's plans from diplomatics to covert operation.

Did you not see when a woman assassin was sent to kill the anjin?

I'm just going to offer you the civility and grace to assume that by putting these two posts together you'll be able to arrive at how incongruous they are. Like, the sentiment you expressed in the first post is not at all corroborated by the "evidence" you listed in the second.

- statement: "there are examples of japanese men being respectful to their women and holding them in high value"

- 3 out of the 4 listed evidence: "they use them as tools and send them to suicide missions"

:mjlol: :laff:

Daps
Where and what episode have we seen Japanese men treating their wives with respect? So far i’ve seen a man RIP his newborn baby out of his wife’s arms so he can kill both himself and the child. No respect or thought for the mother or her feelings. I’ve seen a man watch a whore fukk his subordinate while he watched. I’ve seen the woman who previously had her child RIPPED from her arms and killed made to be a consort to a stranger from a foreign land (i.e. she must cook for him, clean for him and fukk him should he desire it.) i’ve seen a woman beaten and abused by her husband. Mariko even asks Blackthorne if where he’s from if women are as cherished and protected as he fake claimed when he was trying to protect Taranaga’s hiding place.

Its a classic story telling technique when doing the “stranger in a strange land” trope, and ESPECIALLY when its mixed with the white savior narrative. Introduce the splendor and exotic nature of the culture whilst simultaneously reducing the key representatives of that culture to the worst that the society has to offer. A man who boils other men alive and takes pleasure in voyeurism. A man who couldn’t keep his mouth shut and therefore forced himself to kill himself and murder his baby. A man who beats his wife and shoots arrows at her. This is all to make the white man who doesn’t bathe and hangs rotten pheasants on his door look all the more appealing in comparison. Not even the cunning, noble, somewhat shall we say “benevolent” leader cares about women. He’s stated his distaste for beautiful women and the only time he’s seen interacting with any woman he’s ordering them to do something they don’t want to do.

But what do brehs expect? These are shows created by white people and white studios.

Of course they're the hero of their own stories :deadrose:

Is it right? Of course not but we can either do one of two things. Boycott the show out of disgust for white savior tropes and watch shows and film from other nations. Or we can just watch the show for what it is and not take it too seriously.

I'm not looking at this show to understanding history. It's literally fiction. No different than watching a show about aliens in space. All of it is fiction.

Arianne Martell

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm just going to offer you the civility and grace to assume that by putting these two posts together you'll be able to arrive at how incongruous they are. Like, the sentiment you expressed in the first post is not at all corroborated by the "evidence" you listed in the second.

- statement: "there are examples of japanese men being respectful to their women and holding them in high value"

- 3 out of the 4 listed evidence: "they use them as tools and send them to suicide missions"

:mjlol: :laff:
everyone has been sent to a suicide mission...not unique to women on the show

Arianne Martell

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
But what do brehs expect? These are shows created by white people and white studios.

Of course they're the hero of their own stories :deadrose:

Is it right? Of course not but we can either do one of two things. Boycott the show out of disgust for white savior tropes and watch shows and film from other nations. Or we can just watch the show for what it is and not take it too seriously.

I'm not looking at this show to understanding history. It's literally fiction. No different than watching a show about aliens in space. All of it is fiction.

thank you! sometimes you have to put the kufi hat away :manny:

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"this is fiction"
"put the kufi away"

is idiocy by the way - especially so in a forum that has discussing media as its purpose. consuming media without forming any sort of critical thought or opinion is certainly a choice you can make, an idiotic one, but still a choice. trying to act as if it is the choice everyone should make is just outright retarded.

Arianne Martell

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
"this is fiction"
"put the kufi away"

is idiocy by the way - especially so in a forum that has discussing media as its purpose. consuming media without forming any sort of critical thought or opinion is certainly a choice you can make, an idiotic one, but still a choice. trying to act as if it is the choice everyone should make is just outright retarded.

son, give the kufi a break and enjoy the piff :ahh: