Shogun (FX/Hulu) - February 2024 :ohhh:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
buntaro the abusive husband

cac the knight in shining armor - even dropped feminist bars

:mjpls:

Yea they OGin with that shyt. I know the producers have gone on record saying that a lot of research went into making the time period as authentic as possible and Hiroyuki Sanada is a producer and personally approved many of the scripts but the notion that a white european is sauntering around feudal era Japan treating the women with respect and courtesy while the native men treat them like dogs rings hella false to me. European explorers and settlers literally made rape and the brutal treatment of women a goddamn battle strategy.

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
Yea they OGin with that shyt. I know the producers have gone on record saying that a lot of research went into making the time period as authentic as possible and Hiroyuki Sanada is a producer and personally approved many of the scripts but the notion that a white european is sauntering around feudal era Japan treating the women with respect and courtesy while the native men treat them like dogs rings hella false to me. European explorers and settlers literally made rape and the brutal treatment of women a goddamn battle strategy.
I mean, the person that John Blackthorne is based on is English navigator William Adams, who did end up marrying a Japanese woman.

However, yeah, it is ridiculous to think that he would've been using rhetoric to treat women with respect.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I mean, the person that John Blackthorne is based on is English navigator William Adams, who did end up marrying a Japanese woman.

However, yeah, it is ridiculous to think that he would've been using rhetoric to treat women with respect.

Yea I know the real life individual married a Japanese woman and had kids, but all that romantic, Disney’s John Smith by way of Pocahontas bullshyt is out.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
but that example doesn't represent all the Japanese men on the show...that's reaching breh...there are examples of Japanese men being respectful to their women and holding them in high value...of you came with that conclusion after watching 5 episodes then you are not watching

Buntaro and Mariko is just one representation of a bad situation

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps

That approach could not have worked in the Far East. Those societies were too much different in scale, too stratified, too organized and had a unified social identity that was more of a focus than any internal faction beefs. Japanese people were Japanese first above everything.

Add to all that a willingness to defend their way of life from external forces, and the weapons and warrior classes to back that up...that's why converts and trade were a necessary long-term plan for Europeans.

Kixx

Pro
Daps
You guys watching this in subtitles or dubbed? Thinking about starting it this week, just wondering how to watch it.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
but that example doesn't represent all the Japanese men on the show...that's reaching breh...there are examples of Japanese men being respectful to their women and holding them in high value...of you came with that conclusion after watching 5 episodes then you are not watching

Buntaro and Mariko is just one representation of a bad situation

Where and what episode have we seen Japanese men treating their wives with respect? So far i’ve seen a man RIP his newborn baby out of his wife’s arms so he can kill both himself and the child. No respect or thought for the mother or her feelings. I’ve seen a man watch a whore fukk his subordinate while he watched. I’ve seen the woman who previously had her child RIPPED from her arms and killed made to be a consort to a stranger from a foreign land (i.e. she must cook for him, clean for him and fukk him should he desire it.) i’ve seen a woman beaten and abused by her husband. Mariko even asks Blackthorne if where he’s from if women are as cherished and protected as he fake claimed when he was trying to protect Taranaga’s hiding place.

Its a classic story telling technique when doing the “stranger in a strange land” trope, and ESPECIALLY when its mixed with the white savior narrative. Introduce the splendor and exotic nature of the culture whilst simultaneously reducing the key representatives of that culture to the worst that the society has to offer. A man who boils other men alive and takes pleasure in voyeurism. A man who couldn’t keep his mouth shut and therefore forced himself to kill himself and murder his baby. A man who beats his wife and shoots arrows at her. This is all to make the white man who doesn’t bathe and hangs rotten pheasants on his door look all the more appealing in comparison. Not even the cunning, noble, somewhat shall we say “benevolent” leader cares about women. He’s stated his distaste for beautiful women and the only time he’s seen interacting with any woman he’s ordering them to do something they don’t want to do.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
I’ve seen a man watch a whore fukk his subordinate while he watched.

e8e5979b-c500-4b6d-bdf8-a0e1b6b37629.gif

:wow:

Supercoolmayo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Master Roshi's Island
:why:
9a59bdbe-f38b-4622-86dd-62e07608e174.gif

:dwillhuh: ➡️ :leon:
338aac61-3dcb-4430-b847-5e0f627fadd4.gif

:lupe: ➡️ :gladbron:
6e650db0-8449-4b6c-9127-79b195f35d35.gif

From bewildered to elated, this man gives you the full range of emotions. There's nothing that Yabu can't do :wow:

I love this guy. He tries to play the schemer, but he's out of depth. Always outplayed by someone with more tact. It's almost relatable. You'd forget he boiled a man alive in the first episode.