Shogun (FX/Hulu) - February 2024 :ohhh:

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
rodriguez1.png

Not sure how historically accurate this is, highly doubt it's accurate at all since they already invaded Korea, but either way it's a necessary plot device.

Not only that there are plenty of aspects throughout the show that dont portray the Japanese as incompetent people. Even in the book John makes comments on how big and clean the cities are compared to Europe. The Japanese look down on him for not even bathing. Focusing on this one segment thats clearly a plot device and not looking at the whole is disingenuous.

Edit: A this point you could even say John is just trying to show his worth as to not get killed by Toranaga.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Not only that there are plenty of aspects throughout the show that dont portray the Japanese as incompetent people. Even in the book John makes comments on how big and clean the cities are compared to Europe. The Japanese look down on him for not even bathing. Focusing on this one segment thats clearly a plot device and not looking at the whole is disingenuous.

Edit: A this point you could even say John is just trying to show his worth as to not get killed by Toranaga.
It's been a few years since I read the book so I can't recall all the details but for a book written in 1975 by an Australian, who was a Japanese POW during WW2, it is extremely respectful of Japan.

There are historical inaccuracies and as far as I remember he went a bit over the top with Japanese violence and sexual stuff. James Clavell might be @Tony D'Amato grandfather the way he was checking for dikk sizes :dame:

The book is over 1100 pages long so I really hope the TV show is a slow burn and doesn't rush through things.