Share a fact that legitimately blew your mind when you found it.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
(from quora)
First, how many stars are in the universe? The various space telescopes and investigations of the past century have been narrowing in on that number, but it is still not entirely known. For a back-of-the-envelope calculation, we can use an estimate of 10^12 galaxies, each of which has 10^12 stars. I added a link below to an European Space Agency article that puts the total number of stars between 10^22 and 10^24.

Now for sand.
Arid regions cover over 20% of the Earth's land masses. With 70% of the Earth covered in water, that means 20% of the remaining 30% (or 6% of the Earth) can be approximated as "sandy." Now it is true that some arid regions are not sandy (e.g. bedrock-dominated desert lands like those found in central Utah and other areas of the Colorado Plateau), but likewise some sandy regions are not arid (e.g. beaches). Let's assume that for this order of magnitude calculation, those differences balance out to about equal.

So 6% of the Earth is covered in sand. What does that mean? Well the radius of the Earth is 6,378 km, and with a quick 4/3*pi*r^2 we get that the surface area of the Earth is 1.7 x 10^8 km^2. 6% of this is then about 10^7 km^2. Say the average depth of active, non-lithified sand in these regions is 1 m. Now we have 10^4 km^3 of sand total.

So how many grains are in 10^4 km^3 of sand?

That depends on many things, but the easiest one to consider is the size of your sand grains. If we assume the world is full of only medium sand (i.e. 250-500 micron diameter grains), and we assume that they are all nicely packed spheres, then we can estimate how many sand grains are in one cubic kilometer of sand.

In general, sand does not pack quite so nicely, and not all grains are the same size, but let's roll with it and see what we get. Remember this is an order of magnitude calculation.

Let's call all our grains 250 microns (1/4 mm). So in a cube of space, 1 km long on each side, we could fit 4 million grains of sand in each dimension. Thus in the box there are 4 million cubed or roughly 10^20 grains of medium sand per cubic kilometer of sandy space. Recall that we have 10^4 km^3 of sand and we have 10^24 grains of sand on Earth.

Cool!

So depending on what parameters you pick, I would say that there are about as many grains of sand on Earth as there are stars in the universe.
87wpjl5.gif

HONEYBLAY

Pro
Daps
Reppin
~919..Go Tarheelz..~
My Personal Fact...

After watching all the diff shows about Alaska,
~Yukon Men
~Ice Road Truckers
~The Last Alaskans,(sp)
~The Alaskan Bush People,etc

I know for a fact i can't make it/live in those cold below temps...
And hunt for food daily, No Maam,No Sir...
#Praise God...
Vent/Confession over... :coffee:

Last edited:

DIMES

Retired troll
Daps
Reppin
baby, that was the old me

Also if a Vagina is only 4 inches long, then technically only 4 inchers could go balls deep :patrice::patrice::patrice:

It's not 4 inches deep pretty sure that some shyt to make small dikks feel better

Some may be 4 but its like dikk size some are short and loose and others are deep and tight. Plus it grows when aroused

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
money creation. these banks are allowed to make money from nothing. Every time somebody takes a credit from a Bank, they give him virtual money that didn't exist before, then he has to pay it back in real money plus interest. How is this legal :mindblown:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My Personal Fact...

After watching all the diff shows about Alaska,
~Yukon Men
~Ice Truckers
~The Last Alaskians,etc

I know for a fact i can't make it/live in those cold below temps...
And hunt for food daily, No Maam,No Sir...
#Praise God...
Vent/Confession over... :coffee:

919... reppin Carolina? Go heelz?

You get a dap for not being a blue devils fan :win:

Carolina gets those random blizzards though... :whew:. Lived in Charlotte for for almost a decade, it's rare but it happens.

HONEYBLAY

Pro
Daps
Reppin
~919..Go Tarheelz..~
919... reppin Carolina? Go heelz?

You get a dap for not being a blue devils fan :win:

Carolina gets those random blizzards though... :whew:. Lived in Charlotte for for almost a decade, it's rare but it happens.
~Hi,
Most def,,UNC 4Life...
True it get cold here,but nothin like Alaska,
And i can make a run to a local store/market,
Or order in,
*HaPpy Dance..* :smile:

I love,love,love watching the shows about Alaska..
#Informative... :smile:

2-Digit

All Star
Daps
The Electoral College. I was blown away by the fact that the popular vote isn't what determines who gets elected for president.

How do you have a vote count of half a million votes over the other guy and still lose an election?

Might be in a different place if Gore would have rightfully taken the seat.:jbhmm:

United States presidential election, 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That wack system needs to go:camby:

MufasaChoppa

The Rise & Fall Of Mufasa Choppa
Daps
Reppin
L.A , California
All the space facts that some of yall posted

The reason it blew yall minds is because none of it is real

Solar system doesn't exist its unproven

when i found out the show Power Rangers was actually different shows from japan pieced together :mindblown:
links

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
It's not 4 inches deep pretty sure that some shyt to make small dikks feel better

Some may be 4 but its like dikk size some are short and loose and others are deep and tight. Plus it grows when aroused
I think initially it is 4 then it deepens to accomadate bigger penises. :yeshrug: