Shaquille O'Neal could have easily mirrored Wilt Chamberlain's #s in that era

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your the one that's ignoring everything believing in wilts over exaggerated stats. Shaq was constantly near the tops in scoring in an era of GOAT scorers and 7ft hall of fame calibur competition. Shaq would have destroyed people in wilts era just like wilt did. Shaqs numbers would have been inflated too. I admit that wilt was better especially at rebounding and conditioning, but his numbers are straight :duck: When compared to other eras where the game was drastically different . I'm done here :camby:

When did I deny the impact of era on Wilt's numbers? Please quote the post. I am saying we can't put ALL of the difference on era.

Daps
Reppin
Trenton, NJ
why did no one else in Wilt's era even come close to his numbers? You also don't even address the fact that no one, especially Shaq, had the conditioning that Wilt had.
Did you even read the post you replied to. Hint* it mentions conditioning :wtb:. Wilt did his numbers because they had no answer for his size. No one in that era was that big and that agile. Wilt was 7ft 1 and 275 pounds way larger than his competition.

Daps
Reppin
Trenton, NJ
Shaq also shot a much higher field goal percentage and took way less shots than wilt. Wilt averaged 39.5 field goal attempts per game on 50 percent shooting the year he averaged 50 ppg. Shaq never shot less than 56 percent in any year of his career against much larger competition. Shaq also never attempted more than 21 field goals per game in any season of his career Give Shaq 40 field goal attempts per game and imagine the over inflated stats he would have put up. ...

Again I believe wilt was better and that had he played in the 90s he would of averaged 30 and 14 while also leading the league in field goal attempts .

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shaq also shot a much higher field goal percentage and took way less shots than wilt. Wilt averaged 39.5 field goal attempts per game on 50 percent shooting the year he averaged 50 ppg. Shaq never shot less than 56 percent in any year of his career against much larger competition. Shaq also never attempted more than 21 field goals per game in any season of his career Give Shaq 40 field goal attempts per game and imagine the over inflated stats he would have put up. ...

Again I believe wilt was better and that had he played in the 90s he would of averaged 30 and 14 while also leading the league in field goal attempts .

The more shots you shoot the lower your FG% is likely to be. You can't just assume that if you double the shots you double the production. Beyond that, attempting 40 shots a night in and of itself is taxing. No way could Shaq last playing at that pace AND attempting 40 shots.

If Wilt played in the 90's I could see him putting up 35-40 and 16-18 a night with 4-5 blocks and assists. Dude was a great passer too. People don't realize he led the L in assists one year. He had the only double triple double (20, 20, 20) in history. Yes era inflated his numbers but dude was just :wow:.

Oroko Saki

The Shredder
Daps
I love this thread...everybody always talks about what players from back then would do now. I believe the opposite approach gives us a better idea of how much the league has involved.

Alotta role players from now woulda been stars back then...Even someone like JR Smith would beast

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love this thread...everybody always talks about what players from back then would do now. I believe the opposite approach gives us a better idea of how much the league has involved.

Alotta role players from now woulda been stars back then...Even someone like JR Smith would beast

:what: The whole thread is about what a recent player would do back then.

A lot of people with average-above average intelligence now would've been geniuses 100 years ago what's your point?

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
But he would've avg. 50 and 25 though? :shaq2:

Obviously we must take pace and rules and competition into account. Even at that pace nobody else was coming close to Wilt's 50 ppg. Jerry Stackhouse was out doing Shaq's career high ppg. :dead: Pace is only an advantage if your in shape. Shaq didn't take care of himself and there is no way he could have played 40 minutes a night at that pace let alone the 48 Wilt managed. Wilt played under the same rules as everyone else and put up numbers never seen before or since. Shaq played under the same rules as everyone else and put up numbers eclipsed by AI :heh:. Believe it or not Wilt actually had more comp at C. Shaq played against more stiffs after the turn of the century than Wilt ever did.
I never said he would average 50 and 25 though.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

Oroko Saki

The Shredder
Daps
:what: The whole thread is about what a recent player would do back then.

A lot of people with average-above average intelligence now would've been geniuses 100 years ago what's your point?
Oh I wasnt trying to make a point. I was just saying everybody here always talks about what players from back then would do now, its nice to see a thread thinkin in the opposite way.

U made a good point, its somewhat unfair to compare considering the way basketball and calisthenics have evolved. However alotta the white role players from back then would have to settle for a D League roster spot :heh:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh I wasnt trying to make a point. I was just saying everybody here always talks about what players from back then would do now, its nice to see a thread thinkin in the opposite way.

U made a good point, its somewhat unfair to compare considering the way basketball and calisthenics have evolved. However alotta the white role players from back then would have to settle for a D League roster spot :heh:

People try to play Back to the Future as well. I respect all eras and don't think you can just plug and play nikkas and think they will be significantly better or worse than they were in their own era. A lot of this era talk is an excuse to hate both ways.