Shannon and Ocho speak about Camron saying he’s African American not African. Comment’s definitely agree with FBA.

sportscribe

Superstar
Daps
Not going to watch the video, but I also believe "black Americans" have a unique history, identity and should definitely have the right to take ownership of a description they feel
properly represents them.

My issue though, is a lot of people are doing it simply because they don't want to be associated with the African continent and not because they want a unique identity. It's the demeaning disassociative comments that are a problem. That "we ain't African"..."we don't look African"..."Africans don't fukk with us"..are comments used to further drive a wedge and distance y'all from the continent.

If it were truly about embracing your collective history, then there would be more of an appreciation of the hardships endured by your ancestors to get to America in the first place. This topic is only acknowledged when it comes to reparations, otherwise folks would rather dismiss the thought of being linked to Africa all together.

I get it to a degree, being called "African-American" you can never feel fully embraced by American culture or feel you are allowed to have a truly American identity, which black Americans fully deserve. But the hoops and tricks I've seen people pull to deny any African origin is amazing.

People will claim a native American identity, while others will say that they are idigenous to the land and their people were always in America, all to dismiss any associatiion with Africa and Africans. Rather than say the things that truly make your people "black American", some would rather say the things that make them not "African-American", so it echos a sentiment of believing their is a stigma with being described as African. It comes back to brown paper bag tests and feeling looser hair is "good" while, coarser hair is "nappy". Even features that are purely African don't have as much appreciation as Europeanized features - which in many instances is a legacy of the rape of African women by their white slave masters.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
This is America, if men can say they're women and women can say they're men, black people can individually identify however they want.

As to the video, it's very apparent they don't have a good grasp of history and are uninformed on the subject (with respect to the history of African American group identification - from black to colored to Negro to AA to BA, etc).

Shannon saying black people can trace their families back to Africa through their families bibles I :mjlol:.

But they're trying, I guess.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
full

dr-umar-dr-umar-look.gif

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Fukc it. I'll do it.

Most people who came through slavery are not 100% African. I would guess the percentage of descendants of slaves who in 2024 have 100% African DNA is close to zero.

What AMERICAN descendants of slaves are is part of a larger group of descendants of slaves.

I call the geographic area the 'New World'. The Americas and the Caribbean. Slave ships brought African slaves to all parts of the New World. Some stopped in Jamaica. Some stopped in Brazil.

And almost all of us who descended from them are mixed to some degree with European and Americas Natives (including all "Indians" in North and South America).

Dominicans have a stereotype where they claim they're not Black but Latin. People think Puerto Rican is a non Black race unto itself.. but they have the same mix as the rest. Different percentages which result in "light skinned" and "good hair" in some.

The shared experience we have and the shared DNA mix makes us something different enough from African, that it deserves a separate word to describe it.

Call it what you want. Most people globally call it "Niqqer". Which I believe is especially directed at slave descendants moreso than to describe Black people generally (including pure Africans).

Now let's look at the effect that we have created. Civil Rights was US. And people globally piggyback off of OUR blood sweat and tears to fight for freedom. Our art is globally revered and copied. Our slanguage. Our style. Our aesthetic. Our athletes. Our hustlers.

EVERYONE on the globe is impacted by our expression and almost everyone follows our cultural movements.

Deserves a separate word to describe it. To describe US.

I been toying with New World Creole. As a way to capture the idea.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Shannon and Ocho are talking about it cause they talk about whatever's stirring traffic for the week. "FBA" is in the comments cause that's what they do. It's youtube. Somebody's praying to Shannon for a "FBA" shoutout :sadcam:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
who exactly denied African-Americans their ability to claim their lineage, and why did African-Americans take what they said seriously?
That's the wrong question. Why don't the people endorsing "FBA" understand what the hell lineage is or what it entails? Everything is podcast clips, prom dresses, jamaician restaurants.

They don't say shyt about male/female relations, MARRIAGE or the black family, group economics, developing or retaining norms and mores, etc... No, they're just thrilled that a bunch of middle aged bachelors are saying "Africans don't like us" -- cause that's what LiNeAgE is all about :dead: