[Serious] Why do most black men keep short hair?

Osman

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why do most black men keep their hair super short? At least in the US/West, it's something that hit me really recently.

Our ancestors never had an issue with growing out their hair. If you look at photos of colonial Africa or even depictions of Africans many centuries ago, black men always sported afros or grew their hair out significantly longer than what the norm is today. You don't even have to go that far back, black men grew their hair out just as recently 60s-70s.

What changed?

I really don't claim to have the answers but let me throw up some ideas I've had;
Black hair grown out is seen as 'unprofessional' & 'savage' by white folk. There are countless lawsuits against employers for hair discrimination against black men & women. I'm sure everyone reading this has a story whether its with them or someone they know. This discrimination takes place as early as school where it's drilled into black children that their hair is savage and needs to be cut down to look 'normal'. Personally I like typical West African kinky hair, its a shame that the look is tamed by shaving it almost bald.

Even black professionals advise black men to keep their hair short if they want to be taken seriously.

I can't think of any other reasons, anyone reading please feel free to chime in. It really can't be that 80% of black men just happen to like to keep their hair at level 1-3.

Are black men ashamed of their hair?

Please no trolling, serious answers only.

Daps
I’ve kept a low cut with waves my entire life until this quarantine. It’s just easier to maintain. Simple as that.

I rock a fro, braids, or twist now but the maintenance to keep my hair looking good is a bit much sometimes. I’ll probably cut it once life goes back to normal.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
Easier to manage plus Kobe and Doc Rivers are some of the greatest examples of when your shyt starts going back the low cut gives you a great landing into the baldy and it’s not as much of a shock.

even when you wear a du-rag you are compressing the hair to be more manageable and it appears low.

Many work and school places have de facto dress codes where low cuts are encouraged and having your hair grown out even into dreads is seen as dirty and unkempt. Respectability politics aside our hair is always political.

Osman

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because of my job and because my hair doesn’t grow like it once did. So I keep a bald fade. I get a haircut every two weeks or so. Maybe three. Everyone thinks I’m Ex-Military. So I guess most black men don’t keep their hair short.

:jbhmm:

Allg, ex-military get a pass.

Easier to manage plus Kobe and Doc Rivers are some of the greatest examples of when your shyt starts going back the low cut gives you a great landing into the baldy and it’s not as much of a shock.

even when you wear a du-rag you are compressing the hair to be more manageable and it appears low.

Many work and school places have de facto dress codes where low cuts are encouraged and having your hair grown out even into dreads is seen as dirty and unkempt. Respectability politics aside our hair is always political.

Interesting I just thought about that. AA hair with receding hair line is much more obvious than a Cacs/Asians, because cacs hair fall over in front which can cover the receding hairline. Fair point, however that still doesn't explain the 80% figure. Can't be 80% black men are receding like Kobe...

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why do most black men keep their hair super short? At least in the US/West, it's something that hit me really recently.

Our ancestors never had an issue with growing out their hair. If you look at photos of colonial Africa or even depictions of Africans many centuries ago, black men always sported afros or grew their hair out significantly longer than what the norm is today. You don't even have to go that far back, black men grew their hair out just as recently 60s-70s.

What changed?

I really don't claim to have the answers but let me throw up some ideas I've had;
Black hair grown out is seen as 'unprofessional' & 'savage' by white folk. There are countless lawsuits against employers for hair discrimination against black men & women. I'm sure everyone reading this has a story whether its with them or someone they know. This discrimination takes place as early as school where it's drilled into black children that their hair is savage and needs to be cut down to look 'normal'. Personally I like typical West African kinky hair, its a shame that the look is tamed by shaving it almost bald.

Even black professionals advise black men to keep their hair short if they want to be taken seriously.

I can't think of any other reasons, anyone reading please feel free to chime in. It really can't be that 80% of black men just happen to like to keep their hair at level 1-3.

Are black men ashamed of their hair?

Please no trolling, serious answers only.
In a lot of african countries, growing your hair out is for little boys, while men keep their hair short or rock a baldhead.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
Because afros, braids, and locs are usually frowned about in the American work place. Locs are still deemed legally unprofessional under the Supreme Court and can be cause for a non hire or firing.

Also natural hair was frowned upon in American society. This is the first natural hair wave since the 60s. Before that and after you had men and literally burning their hair to have it straight and short.

It’s changing now and I love this natural hair movement. I have locs and haven’t really had any problems but our hair is still not completely accepted

Vilify

Superstar
Daps
Just like afros and cornrows, short hair is in style right now. Society also considers it more presentable so that plays a big part.

Danktoker94

The Dude
Supporter
Daps
A lot of my bytches like my hair short I grew my hair out last summer had a blow up didn't like the greasy ness and sweat so I went back to a Caesar this year I wear a lot of fitted so I jus like it better to