Seeing Black ppl in a position of power used to mean something to me

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
First hourly job I had was at Dunhams sporting goods. It was 3 of us there. This older breh named Todd who was cool as hell. This suburban ass dude named Rob...Who the coli would probably brand as some "cornball brotha", but was cool as hell too. Then we had a Manager named Tony...And this nikka was a SUPER c00n. Horrible scheduling. Out of his depth...Even the white staff picked up on how he was with us...

:pachaha: In front of white folks... Customers, other mgmt/staff. With us :birdman:

So one workday evening Todd and I are working shoes, and it's SLOW. So between stock, and shooting the shyt...I BS you not one of the most beautiful women i've ever seen in my life to this day comes in. This GORGEOUS authentic PAAG. I'm guessing she was from HK because she had a slight British accent. My guy I'm literally sweating talking to this woman, but still holding my own and she knows that I would probably do anything she asked. But she thinks it's cute and goes through the motions with me.

So Tony sees this, and saunters his big goofy ass over there with this shyt eating grin, trying to "big bro" me out the way so he can talk to this bytch. He comes over and as usual starts fukking up the sale. Killing the vibe, cracking corny ass jokes and we're both like :dahell:

My boy Todd peeks out the door and asks Tony to come in...You hear some rumbling, and then Todd yelling, and a scuffle. It was almost like Todd was waiting for the moment to tune this nikka up. So if you know anything about a shoe dept it's usually two doors. Tony walks out the far door furthest away from us, covering his face :russ:

Todd looks at me like :youngsabo:

And I look back at him like :salute:

Shorty tries on 3 pairs of shoes...Amazing feet btw...Jesus christ...:ohlawd:

She ended up buying all 3, and walked out of my life forever. :sadcam:

I learned that day that all skinfolk ain't kinfolk...Still talk to Todd to this day...Solid ass brotha

Daps
Granted, I haven't been in the corporate workspace very long but everybody that I know in tech that's black is trying to help other black people out. There are brehs on the coli that I hit up and I told them what I wanted to do, and they went out of their way to help me when they didn't have to.

I haven't experienced what's in OPs post. I've experienced just the opposite.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
It’s been 75/25 in my experience. MOST of the black people I’ve worked with or under have been very cool, but every now and then you run into a squeaky voice negro trying to gatekeep.

One of these.

"MEEEE" :lupe:

"YES YOU: :dahell:

"MEEe" :lupe:

"YES YOU" :dahell:

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
It’s been 75/25 in my experience. MOST of the black people I’ve worked with or under have been very cool, but every now and then you run into a squeaky voice negro trying to gatekeep.

One of these.

*Music competing with what the person is saying.*

WHY DOES SPIKE DO THIS? IT IS DISTRACTING. :dahell:

I've seen whole scenes suffer due to his love of doing this. :snoop:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
because I thought like the dude on the left in this pic

1000000110.jpg

Now that I'm nearly 45, that shyt don't mean anything to me now
Say less :jawalrus:
download-11.jpg

:lawd:
download-12.jpg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Now that I'm nearly 45, that shyt don't mean anything to me now
I saw a clip of a documentary about Irish Americans. A guy said something similar about how many of them felt after JFK, after seeing an Irish Catholic rise to President.

At your age, you saw Justices Thomas, and Johnson, Senators Braun, Booker, Warnock, Governors Wilder and Patrick, Fortune 500 CEOs like Parsons, and Black Prez and VP

The highest levels of achievement in politics and business.
========

The cartoon is funny, though. The illustrator resents seeing Black people in authority, and projects those feelings to show what the achiever is secretly thinking.

I love to see Black people succeed and don't begrudge anybody for their achievement, or think that they owe me anything.

Last edited:

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This actually only feels true when it comes to my interactions with older black folks. And it's not really based on my personal interactions but moreso with what my mentors have told me about some of their peers and their get down. Not just mentors at work either, the way I see older black blue collar workers talk about the "company men" so to speak of their generation gives me the impression that this may have really been a thing that's deep in their generation.

Every black millennial and gen z'er I've encountered in corporate America has been solid to me and gave me the impression that they were low-key looking out.
Funny enough, my interactions have been totally different, I'm 37 and most directors or managers that have been above me in the 35-45 age range have been total dikks, passive aggressive

Most older black folks over 50 have been straight up and told me "how to play game" to move up or make more money...

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
OP..

I hear what you are saying...

For me, I like seeing BP in positions in power, but I don't assume that all BP in positions of power will look out for their ppl. I learned that some will and some won't...

I do appreciate the ones that do look out for their ppl because they understand what their ppl are up against out in the work world..

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
With black females I've had a tougher time than black males, but honestly people are people and we as a people always have individual agendas and preconceived biases.

ConPHIdential

All Star
Supporter
Daps
With black females I've had a tougher time than black males, but honestly people are people and we as a people always have individual agendas and preconceived biases.

I worked corporate AT&T for 7+ years and I saw this firsthand with a female Director who oversaw my organization. When it came to black women though she would look out something serious.

I ran a store location and put my lyne brother on as an assistant manager and one thing about him is he had no problem letting you know, respectfully, if he had a different opinion if the logic was sound. Well, we had a store visit from her and she had an opinion about something relating to our location and my assistant manager had a different outlook which he explained. That cost him his promotion and he had to move from Louisiana to Cali to become a store manager. Ran 3+ locations after that too because someone more open minded recognized his talent. That open minded person was a Black man.