Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
because I thought like the dude on the left in this pic

1000000110.jpg

Now that I'm nearly 45, that shyt don't mean anything to me now

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
The joke is that a black man is even interviewing someone in the first place. The title on his desk says “DEI & Talent”, so some racist probably made this cartoon.

The initial interviewer is usually a woman from HR, most likely white. By the time you get to the Associate or Manager or even a panel interview the person across the table definitely isn’t going to be black, and if the interview is on a panel the black person-likely not even a man, because that’s means the black man was high enough in the organization to be in on the interview and on top of that requested to be in on it, and on top that decided to do it - is either going to agree with the panel who decides to hire someone who’s not black, or be overruled by the other people on the panel who definitely aren’t black.

Best you can hope for is that they don’t care what race you are, or they think they can push you around once they do hire you, so that you don’t make waves and cowtow to whatever the group wants.

Last edited:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
This actually only feels true when it comes to my interactions with older black folks. And it's not really based on my personal interactions but moreso with what my mentors have told me about some of their peers and their get down. Not just mentors at work either, the way I see older black blue collar workers talk about the "company men" so to speak of their generation gives me the impression that this may have really been a thing that's deep in their generation.

Every black millennial and gen z'er I've encountered in corporate America has been solid to me and gave me the impression that they were low-key looking out.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I've mentioned this before my brother in law whose Ghanaian was a manager at a hospital. He hired a few black folks. Suddenly he's in HR because someone said he's hiring his friends (even though he never knew the people he hired)