Sea of Stars (by the creators of The Messenger)

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess the devs have some hidden messages or praise for a dude named jordan Peterson, who’s alt-right supposedly? Idk dumb shyt

You know if you don’t 100% conform to their beliefs they will try and cancel you
He is:mjpls: but you are right about era but from everything I see this game look harmless:manny:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I guess the devs have some hidden messages or praise for a dude named jordan Peterson, who’s alt-right supposedly? Idk dumb shyt

You know if you don’t 100% conform to their beliefs they will try and cancel you
Nah, Jordan Peterson is actually a vile bigot who denies systemic racism, believes in race science and many other odious things.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
- Some quick 1st impressions -

- The game is gorgeous

- The demo doesn't hold your hand -You're dropped in what seems to be the middle of the game and not given anything in terms of tutorials. The game doesn't tell you how to traverse the world, save, or anything about combat. The tutorials are there from the moment you turn on the game but it isn't forced on you at all

- The game menu allows you to completely customize the control inputs

- The UI is kinda mid

- This game has an overworld map that you can traverse but it's a path and isn't open - Think Super Mario World, not Ni No Kuni

- There are campfires and you can cook

- You can fish in this game

- You can time your hits to add more damage or press A at the right moment to increase your chances of blocking an enemy

- There are combos in this game and something that looks like a gauge that you need to fill in order to complete specific combos between characters

- When you level up you get to choose how you want to customize your character with additional stat bonuses. Upgrades fall into 4 Categories (Mana, Phys Attack, Phys Defense, and Hit Points)

- When a character dies it seems like they come back after 2 turns. Not sure if that's just the demo or in the full game

- You can gain MP by attacking which is great because using one Skill move takes up more than half of your MP

- Enemies drop what I assume is mana on the ground when you attack them. You can draw the mana from the field to boost your attacks and abilities

- There's a "Relic" that you can equip that gives you additional HP that serves as a way to unlock an Easy Mode

- The demo consists of an open area, a port town, and a haunted laboratory

- The lab is a well designed and multi-layered "dungeon"

- There's a boss that you can fight in the lab that constantly changes forms

- It took me about 2-3 hours to beat the demo

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
- Some quick 1st impressions -

- The game is gorgeous

- The demo doesn't hold your hand -You're dropped in what seems to be the middle of the game and not given anything in terms of tutorials. The game doesn't tell you how to traverse the world, save, or anything about combat. The tutorials are there from the moment you turn on the game but it isn't forced on you at all

- The game menu allows you to completely customize the control inputs

- The UI is kinda mid

- This game has an overworld map that you can traverse but it's a path and isn't open - Think Super Mario World, not Ni No Kuni

- There are campfires and you can cook

- You can fish in this game

- You can time your hits to add more damage or press A at the right momen to increase your chances of blocking an enemy

- There are combos in this game and something that looks like a gauge that you need to fill in order to complete specific combos between characters

- When you level up you get to choose how you want to customize your character with additional stat bonuses. Upgrade fall into 4 Categories (Mana, Phys Attack, Phys Defense, and Hit Points)

- When a character dies it seems like they come back after 2 turns. Not sure fi that's just the demo or in the full game

- You can gain MP by attacking which is great because using one Skill move takes up more than half of your MP

- Enemies drop what I assume is mana on the ground when you attack them. You can draw the mana from the field to boost your attacks and abilities

- There's a "Relic" that you can equip that gives you additional HP that serves as a way to unlock an Easy Mode

- The demo consists of an open area, a port town, and a haunted laboratory

- The lab is a well designed and multi-layered "dungeon"

- There's a boss that you can fight in the lab that constantly changes forms

- It took me about 2-3 hours to beat the demo

Day 1?

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
I enjoyed the demo. Looking forward to the full release. Graphics are beautiful. The combat seemed fine, have to reserve judgment on it. The fishing was kinda OP in that one area but then in the final area it was mad easy.. idk. Also, was it just me or was there slight slowdown in the town area? Im sitting there like "dawg, i KNOW the Switch is not struggling to run a 2D game... no no, it cant be."

Yeah, it's beat chained echoes in the graphics department but that's probably about it

Still looking forward to it but chained echoes raised the bar

:leon: shidd lemme see whats up with chained echoes then. Gonna play the Messenger as well to catch up on their recent work.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
This game is visually stunning.:wow:
FjjIT3rXoAAMV8g

FfmwqE0WAAAjCHC

FY60hFHWAAAjebO

FUadMN7WIAEx9vU

FOx-eKvXEAEJWGK

FeeT7ZXXkAMy2sl

:wow:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I finished the demo today and I'm very impressed by the gameplay. I did not expect it to show this much promise.

The rhythm element required from me to get used to it, but quickly became one of my favorite parts.

For example, the best attack in the game, in my opinion, is not very good by itself. But if you master its rhythm, it becomes not only great, it becomes viscerally fun. It's a magical moon boomerang that one of the character can send, so it hits the enemy you targeted and comes back to you. But if you press [A] at the right time, you can deflect it to send it towards the same or another enemy if you fight several. It'll come back to you again, and you can repeat this action almost indefinitely. I'm saying almost, because the kicker is that everytime it comes back to you, it comes back faster and the window to deflect it becomes shorter and shorter rather quickly. Plus, depending on the enemy's distance from you, the time it takes to fling back to you changes mechanically, which implies that depending on the number of enemies you fight, you have to take into account two, three or four different rhythms that all accelerate after each deflection. And that shyt is fun asf. At first, I could only get two attacks out of it, then I was able to do it something like 6 times in a row. Which not only stacks up the damage inflicted but also breaks down the shields of enemies vulnerable to moon attacks, each time they're hit.

This shield mechanic that works similarly to the system in place in Octopath Traveler is pretty cool and adds a layer of complexity to the combat, even if I wasn't able to take advantage of it often. There is also something akin to the charging that you could do after waiting some turns, except to do it, you gotta produce some kind of orbs by striking an enemy first, and they are shared amongst your team. The boost seems to not affect only your damage, but also the types of damage you inflict, which helps when you try to break an enemy shield.

The other interesting mechanics I noted are:
1) the combos between characters, which deal a lot of damage and different types of damages, and can be boosted through the system I just mentioned. The combo bar have three levels that each takes like three turns to fill (it's slow). For this and all attacks dealt or received, tapping with the right rhythm enhances the effect as well;
2) the turn system, which is particular since you have more flexibility with it than the usual "speed" system. Enemies have an indicator that says when they'll act (for example, two actions from now), and you can choose whatever character you want in the order you want to perform these two actions. So no "speed" as it's commonly seen in RPGs.

Besides the fighting, fishing is fun. Cooking is straightforward but damn necessary, or at least it was for me, to survive the encounters. Each fight is pretty consequential in terms of resources spent (health, mana and food) and if you haven't cooked before, you might quickly meet your demise. At least in this demo, I couldn't just go through 3 fights in a row without healing and restoring mana in between.

The traversal has a simple structure but they do a lot with it, and I have no doubt the Messenger helped in that regard. You're really "exploring" and figuring out how to get somewhere through puzzles, it's not just a straight-forward line from A to B. Fun.

Story isn't giving me anything so far, but hey. It's a demo.

Oh, and the game is gorgeous. I don't really like the character designs besides the main duo, but the environments are great. Music, attacks animations, all of that is great.

Edit: I forgot, but you can try to avoid conflict by slipping through the enemies that'll rush you. You can also engage it, which allows you character to perform a first strike before combat mode even activates, which will make some of the boost orbs I was talking about earlier drop).

Last edited: