Scientists say there’s basically a HIV vaccine, but Gilead is charging over $40,000 a year and won’t allow a $40 generic version (with 30% profit)

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
Gilead needs to recoup their R&D cost amongst a myriad of other costs that go into bringing a drug to market. That "30%" profit is for just raw materials and production. Reality is Capitalism drives innovation in medicine, if financial incentive isn't there everything stops. It's shytty but that's our world

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Gilead needs to recoup their R&D cost amongst a myriad of other costs that go into bringing a drug to market. That "30%" profit is for just raw materials and production. Reality is Capitalism drives innovation in medicine, if financial incentive isn't there everything stops. It's shytty but that's our world

If that is the case, why folks always pestering me about donating towards Aids/Cancer research if corporations footing the bill anyway?

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
In part. Don’t discount the role of government. As with technology, government subsidies and research (nih, cdc etc) are just if not more important. The Covid vaccine platform for instance….

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
If that is the case, why folks always pestering me about donating towards Aids/Cancer research if corporations footing the bill anyway?
Many rare diseases (types of cancer, neurological diseases) don’t attract corporate attention because of the R&D costs and low return on investment, so the government and other entities need to go hat in hand looking for assistance. That $800 billion military bill comes with a price….

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby

There's so many variants of cancer and approaches to finding vaccines/treatments that those funds can help seed research in. For drugs that make it to market there was numerous that failed somewhere along the path. But you're right somebody still getting paid somewhere along the way, that's why I don't donate to that kinda stuff