Saul Williams Interview w/ The Breakfast Club [Discusses 2Pac, Jay-Z, Young Thug]

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
People would listen more if Jay and Kanye said what he said, but those same people wouldn't invoke action. They'd just listen. Lack of finances isn't the reason people aren't listening to certain people with a message, it's the fact that thisgeneration isn't revolutionary or willing to put themselves on the front like for anything important. Cultrally we lost that motivation to fight for social things, we've become content with "At least it's not as bad as it used to be".
I think it's because we're not unified in suffering anymore. As bad as things were before, people felt more interconnected. Now you have people wanting be individuals, which is great, but there's a loss of the connection. It comes with success. It's like how that TV Show "Black-ish" is based on real life experiences. Dude's son asked for a Bar Mitzvah, that kid doesn't know a damn thing about black struggle. My cousin is 16 and didn't know what a Minstrel Show was until two weeks ago. In once sense, it's great that these are seeing past race and are wanting to do more. But it cripples them being able to engage in those issues thoughtfully. Thus, a message does not resonate and the person pointing out the issues is seen as the problem. So I see your point. With that said, now you want to quote me when I've been trying to get you to link me to that one thread about people's definition of lyricism for like a month :beli:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I think it's because we're not unified in suffering anymore. As bad as things were before, people felt more interconnected. Now you have people wanting be individuals, which is great, but there's a loss of the connection. It comes with success. It's like how that TV Show "Black-ish" is based on real life experiences. Dude's son asked for a Bar Mitzvah, that kid doesn't know a damn thing about black struggle. My cousin is 16 and didn't know what a Minstrel Show was until two weeks ago. In once sense, it's great that these are seeing past race and are wanting to do more. But it cripples them being able to engage in those issues thoughtfully. Thus, a message does not resonate and the person pointing out the issues is seen as the problem. So I see your point. With that said, now you want to quote me when I've been trying to get you to link me to that one thread about people's definition of lyricism for like a month :beli:

LOL what thread?

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
LOL what thread?
There was this time I asked how people are defining lyricism, and then either you or someone else made a spinoff thread about it and I was goinng to work so I never posted in it and I was trying to find the thread

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
His point about "outside influence" and inspiration is also crazy

A few examples:

- Look at Pac, dude travelled around the US growing up, was into theater and ballet, was the child of a Black Panther....no surprise his music transcended rap and was culturally impactful

- 3000 and Big Boi were bumping Kraftwerk and Kate Bush albums

- RZA was into Eastern Philosophy, foreign cinema and 5% teachings

- Drake was an actor who grew up in Toronto (a very multicultural city that is unlike the average American urban experience) and travelled to South frequently growing up. He went to art school. 40, his producer, studied Physics and has a unique approach to mixing and mastering

- Kanye was into fashion, videogames, drawing

- Snoop is an old soul who's dabbled in basically everything and has cosigns all over the map

- Nas was the son of a Jazz musician and was into literature and history

- Tyler is creatively in charge of damn near every venture Odd Future does

- Mos Def, started as an actor....Childish Gambino, comedian, writer, actor.....Dilla, came from a musical family, spent time honing his skills in church

The great artists that make music that transcends Hip-Hop and stands the test of time are usually enlightened and inquisitive types. All have some method and discipline to the craft. Some might have been privileged but there was always a yearning for knowledge and the new.

Truth is, many grow up without the resources or TIME to care about anything other than where and when the money will come in, but at a certain point....successful artists, ones that are 30-35+ that have kids, wives, mortgages, are still out portraying the same tired ass image of what they-once-were and arent giving the youth the knowledge and inspiration to do something OTHER than trying to look fly and be "that dude" all the fukking time. Lames like Pusha T who are 38 wearing skirts, rapping about coke, saying "Im not a rapper"....

The ones have real and reputable CAREERS, are the ones that paid dues and brought some outside, external influences to the table

Garbage in, garbage out. If you ONLY listen to Wayne and Gucci, blindly worship Hov, strictly browse World Star and IG and whatever lifestyle blog is telling what to be interested in...you'll get a lot of the trashy, disposable, derivative rap we have now

If only more conscious MCs were like him in interviews...

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
damn, this is a dope perspective and makes alot of sense. Back when racism was more overt blacks couldn't do nothing but stick together. Now it's more covert and you get the blinded #newBlacks who see some success and only see things through rose-tinted glasses.

WOAHMYGOODNESS

Your TSC World Champion
Daps
I've never seen Charlamange so scared to test someone lol. Saul called him gay and he didn't do shyt
:russ:
Saul had him on skates. Char always tries to play the fence of being ratchet and righteous but when someone from either extreme gets on air and goes at his neck he folds

Same thing happened with gucci...gucci would have slapped him on camera and Saul would have tap danced verbally on his head. Char knows who he can poke at and who he can't