Saul Williams Interview w/ The Breakfast Club [Discusses 2Pac, Jay-Z, Young Thug]

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
@UghhFan Very dope interview ...this thread will get more posts if you edit the title and change it to..."(Discusses 2Pac, disses Jay-Z, shows love to Young Thug)".
It would also attract the trolls and dyckriders...

But it would be fun to see comments of Saul being "irrelevant" and a "hater" and how baseless those comments would be

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
His point about "outside influence" and inspiration is also crazy

A few examples:

- Look at Pac, dude travelled around the US growing up, was into theater and ballet, was the child of a Black Panther....no surprise his music transcended rap and was culturally impactful

- 3000 and Big Boi were bumping Kraftwerk and Kate Bush albums

- RZA was into Eastern Philosophy, foreign cinema and 5% teachings

- Drake was an actor who grew up in Toronto (a very multicultural city that is unlike the average American urban experience) and travelled to South frequently growing up. He went to art school. 40, his producer, studied Physics and has a unique approach to mixing and mastering

- Kanye was into fashion, videogames, drawing

- Snoop is an old soul who's dabbled in basically everything and has cosigns all over the map

- Nas was the son of a Jazz musician and was into literature and history

- Tyler is creatively in charge of damn near every venture Odd Future does

- Mos Def, started as an actor....Childish Gambino, comedian, writer, actor.....Dilla, came from a musical family, spent time honing his skills in church

The great artists that make music that transcends Hip-Hop and stands the test of time are usually enlightened and inquisitive types. All have some method and discipline to the craft. Some might have been privileged but there was always a yearning for knowledge and the new.

Truth is, many grow up without the resources or TIME to care about anything other than where and when the money will come in, but at a certain point....successful artists, ones that are 30-35+ that have kids, wives, mortgages, are still out portraying the same tired ass image of what they-once-were and arent giving the youth the knowledge and inspiration to do something OTHER than trying to look fly and be "that dude" all the fukking time. Lames like Pusha T who are 38 wearing skirts, rapping about coke, saying "Im not a rapper"....

The ones have real and reputable CAREERS, are the ones that paid dues and brought some outside, external influences to the table

Garbage in, garbage out. If you ONLY listen to Wayne and Gucci, blindly worship Hov, strictly browse World Star and IG and whatever lifestyle blog is telling what to be interested in...you'll get a lot of the trashy, disposable, derivative rap we have now

Last edited:

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why did Ebro contradicted himself at the 3:25min mark. Dude literally was like..."we play conscious music...people don't want it"...then @4:11 he said, "I think people want it"...smh. This niiggas a clown.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
5 stars, dap and i tried to + rep but couldn't because i already have sometime recently:myman:

oh yeah, saul been dope. very talented poet and speaker. i remember when i saw the movie slam for the first time back in 98'. slam is a very underrated movie. it's got sonja sohn (actress who played kima) in it too :wow:

Last edited:

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
I saw this interview when it first drop and dude knows his shyt. It indeed is one of the better interviews I've seen. And his freestyle was pretty damn good.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I've always like Saul, but like with most conscious heads I agree with him on some things and disagree with him on others despite wanting the same thing. Freeestyle was different.

The only thing I truly took issue with was the whole angle about not needing money to be a revolutionary. You can't use outdated examples like that, and MLK and Malcolm were organized. In the 21st century, you may not need to be rich to have a message but you certainly need to catch the attention of someone with influence to be heard. He's been this way his entire career and yet this interview will gain no traction but if Jay Z or Kanye said this then it would be news everywhere (thus money matters). Furthermore, all this "speaking out" stuff is actually not something I want from entertainers. I'd rather that they host events where they sponsors talks by people who can. It's because even the most "intelligent" entertainers spend too much time on their career to truly understand these issues a lot of the times and I'd rather actual scholars talking to people than Jay Z, Nas, Kanye West, Kendrick, Lupe Fiasco or J. Cole when it comes to actual social analysis. Those guys can certainly speak to doing better in communities, but most rappers and entertainers fall short when they actually have to articulate and explain complex ideas or speak thoughtfully about the conditions in America. They might give you a good layman's perspective at best. I'd rather Jay Z sponsor guys from TED talks than try to lead one himself. (But I just went off topic).

Last edited:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I've always like Saul, but like with most conscious heads I agree with him on some things and disagree with him on others despite wanting the same thing. Freeestyle was different.

The only thing I truly took issue with was the whole angle about not needing money to be a revolutionary. You can't use outdated examples like that, and MLK and Malcolm were organized. In the 21st century, you may not need to be rich to have a message but you certainly need to catch the attention of someone with influence to be heard. He's been this way his entire career and yet this interview will gain no traction but if Jay Z or Kanye said this then it would be news everywhere. Furthermore, all this "speaking out" stuff is actually not something I want from entertainers. I'd rather that they host events where they sponsors talks by people who can. It's because even the most "intelligent" entertainers spend too much time on their career to truly understand these issues a lot of the times and I'd rather actual scholars talking to people than Jay Z, Nas, Kanye West, Kendrick, Lupe Fiasco or J. Cole when it comes to actual social analysis. Those guys can certainly speak to doing better in communities, but most rappers and entertainers fall short when they actually have to articulate and explain complex ideas or speak thoughtfully about the conditions in America. They might give you a good layman's perspective at best. I'd rather Jay Z sponsor guys from TED talks than try to lead one himself. (But I just went off topic).

People would listen more if Jay and Kanye said what he said, but those same people wouldn't invoke action. They'd just listen. Lack of finances isn't the reason people aren't listening to certain people with a message, it's the fact that thisgeneration isn't revolutionary or willing to put themselves on the front like for anything important. Cultrally we lost that motivation to fight for social things, we've become content with "At least it's not as bad as it used to be".