Santa Monica, California decline

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I live here in SM.

It’s a legit shyt show.

No lie, three days last week I walked past human shyt near the promenade downtown. I have been followed and harassed crossing the street by homeless and mentally ill.

Mad buildings are for sale and for lease. And FYI, my rent is going up next month… :scusthov: :damn:
My ex use to live in Santa Monica over on 5th and Wilshire but I swear it’s been declining since pre covid, at least the promenade.

I use to love getting loaded and walking to the bluff and there were already homeless people out there then.

I imagine it’s only accelerated.

I guess I’ll find out what it’s like this year come this October

Last edited:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
That fakkit Ronald Regan has been dead for years. Why are we trying to play the blame game for every person other than who is in power NOW and has been in power for the last 5 years? The same guy that was willing and able to clean up the streets for a foreign leader's visit?

These are valid questions.
If you work in the federal govt, there is one rule you abide by over all other rules: "use it or lose it", meaning spend the money you have allocated because once you cut off the spigot at the federal level, it takes damn near a act of god to reopen it. True politicians havent done as much as they should to fight for federal funding of mental health. But once the Reagan Administration made that call, every other agency, office, and initiative that wanted that money/mental health out the paint got their chance and we have suffered as a nation since then.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
That fakkit Ronald Regan has been dead for years. Why are we trying to play the blame game for every person other than who is in power NOW and has been in power for the last 5 years? The same guy that was willing and able to clean up the streets for a foreign leader's visit?

These are valid questions.

Because Reagan caused the problem that CA is having now, back then.

If he hadn't closed the Federal System - all them mentally ill people would not be walking around ANY of the 50 states.

He did something at the FEDERAL level (which had FEDERAL MONEY - AND FED MONEY IS JUST CREATED - so the program could extend to cover people as the population grows from the 80s till noq)

Governors and mayors have to deal with this but Governors and Mayors only have their local tax money. They can't CREATE money like the Fed

Do you have a valid reply?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

School me on what's going on in Cali. Seems like a lot of people have left and many cities are in decline. I want to know what I should expect in my hood since our gov has similar policies.

grapham stephen? this dude is a proven grifter promoting the likes of FTX and yadda bank. he :trash:

CoCKy GeNiuS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t know how people can see this happening across the country but particularly in the richest states and think this is the “new” normal. This should not be acceptable.

How are politicians not being PRESSED at every turn since people voted them in and this is what is happening on the streets of their cities?

My city (Toronto) is also going to shyt with many of the same issues reported in the video. Just not as bad as California :huhldup: But it’s slowly getting there and who knows where we’ll be in 5-10 years if we don’t combat this.

Something fundamentally “broke” in the world after COVID. I don’t know how to explain it though
Yea what fundamentally broke was the illusion of the "American dream"

People started seeing things for what they were and started playing by their own rules. The "inflation" was nothing but punishment for all the money that went around during covid and of course inflation has backfired. So now here we are.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The fact that the country doesn’t take education seriously is disappointing

Now we got to deal with Asian/indian/latinx middle management and shyt like that cause folks is too fukking cheap

And watch these immigrants pull the rug fro m these companies and abandon them, what happens when these countries have comparable if not better tech industries than America
Yup, exactly.

These companies want people with advanced degrees working for them, but want to pay the cheapest amounts for it.

Completely made more complex by the fact that at the end of the day going into research (and continuing education) pays pennies. PhD researcher earns scraps compared to even a low-paid, entry-level worker at some company.

Overall it lowers the bar of pay because they basically want people to "enjoy what you're doing, for the love of it" and not ask for much money.

Last edited:

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
That's what happens when you mix capitalism with libertarian policies. Corporations need to be moderately or heavily regulated due to greed being a common human impulse. Can't really blame anyone except for the past regimes...starting with Reagan. Something is telling me that Nixon played a key part in it with his visit to China that eventually opened up trade between us two, and led to the current cold war between us, but I haven't read up on his tenure enough.

BEN23

All Star
Daps
The more I watch this, him basically trying to low key blame "liberal policies" without saying so much (YT much like the rest of the country, leans left, is pro-people) - is that all of these "businesses" - his class of people - are moving because they can't afford the commercial rent.

What business is was he in? Before he cashed in on internet celebrity, he was real estate agent, and then a landlord and house flipper.

Cued up @ 8:28

He's talking about how the Landlord doubled the rent -

Not the City.
Not the State.
Not the Fed.

The Landlord. (possibly a massive corporate, but probably a local guy like this man)

Earlier he talks about the restaurant facing 60K monthly - again, that's not the city asking that type of rent - it the land lord.

"Forced to keep their rents high (and the places empty), to keep their value"

Somehow 40% of the strips buildings being vacant don't bring down property values, but occupied buildings with lower rent do?

Make it make sense.

This is the problem and i dont understand why nobody seems understands this....its the same thing in nyc.....