Sam Altman is a habitual liar and can't be trusted, says former OpenAI board member

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Now we see the real reason he's gassing fusion progress so hard.

He's asking for over 1% of the entire globe's electricity. Wants the USA to build him enough power plants to run TWO New York states. :mjlol:

Convincing us that it's okay to burn insane amounts of energy cause he'll solve fusion any day now. :mjlol: :mjlol:

And he wants the taxpayers to pay for it. :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:
And they're going to build it because if they don't, the Saudis happily will.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
And they're going to build it because if they don't, the Saudis happily will.

The amount of money they're talking about needing would be nearly 10x higher than Saudi Arabia's entire sovereign wealth fund. And I doubt the Saudis have the infrastructure to build anything like that even if they did have the money.

And if it's that important, then nationalize it. Expending enormous, planet-destroying resources in order to fund profit-obsessed capitalists to create a product of dubious societal value solely because "otherwise someone else might build it first" sounds like a path to collapse.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

He keeps just saying more and more shyt. :dead:

1) No we won't

2) "feel" and "many" are so ambiguous that this is a completely meaningless statement

3) Not by any reasonable definition of major

I'm not an expert in those fields to make such predictions, but I seriously doubt Altman knows anything in any of those 3 fields that would justify such claims. He's talking like Musk again.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
He keeps just saying more and more shyt. :dead:

1) No we won't

2) "feel" and "many" are so ambiguous that this is a completely meaningless statement

3) Not by any reasonable definition of major

I'm not an expert in those fields to make such predictions, but I seriously doubt Altman knows anything in any of those 3 fields that would justify such claims. He's talking like Musk again.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I'm well aware of the progression in gene editing - that's why I said, "Not by any reasonable definition of 'major'".

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
The amount of money they're talking about needing would be nearly 10x higher than Saudi Arabia's entire sovereign wealth fund. And I doubt the Saudis have the infrastructure to build anything like that even if they did have the money.

And if it's that important, then nationalize it. Expending enormous, planet-destroying resources in order to fund profit-obsessed capitalists to create a product of dubious societal value solely because "otherwise someone else might build it first" sounds like a path to collapse.
If they were to build the 5-7 data centers he originally proposed, sure.

A single $100 billion dollar data center with the power consumption he's asking for is possible. One of his proposals was to build one in the North Sea and tap into the power of offshore wind turbines - that's a potential 7GW.

No one is going to build a new reactor specifically for OpenAI to utilize, especially while large datacenter operations like AWS and Azure are staking claims to existing unused reactors like those on three mile Island. But sub-sea datacenter research and implementations have been happening in various phases for over a decade now. Cooling accounts for as much as 35-40% of electrical needs in a datacenter.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If they were to build the 5-7 data centers he originally proposed, sure.

A single $100 billion dollar data center with the power consumption he's asking for is possible. One of his proposals was to build one in the North Sea and tap into the power of offshore wind turbines - that's a potential 7GW.

No one is going to build a new reactor specifically for OpenAI to utilize, especially while large datacenter operations like AWS and Azure are staking claims to existing unused reactors like those on three mile Island. But sub-sea datacenter research and implementations have been happening in various phases for over a decade now. Cooling accounts for as much as 35-40% of electrical needs in a datacenter.

Are we still talking about Saudi doing it? Because even $100 billion (if that's a real number) would be 1/3 of Saudi Arabia's entire annual budget. And if that's a real number, then why were they asking for $7 trillion in funding earlier this year?

And it should be noted again - ALL they are funding at the moment is Altman's hype. What ChatGPT actually does isn't even worth OpenAI's costs, and that's without factoring in the unpaid society costs of enormous energy and resource consumption. The vast majority of what people are actually doing with ChatGPT right now (besides goofing around and cheating at schoolwork) is just predatory pricing to take away real people's work. At the actual cost that it costs, it wouldn't be remotely justifiable unless they're going to do things that have no relation at all to what they currently do.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
AI might legit self destruct On its own. They got away with violating licenses as a non profit but people are coming for checks if they ever go public. Plus AI is already feeding on itself. And Open AI is still hemorrhaging money.

good luck getting the public to pay for a nuclear plant just so you can run AI call centers at a loss.