Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eventhough the Turks tried to exterminate the Armenians, I see the same level of hatred brewing here. I don't see Ukrainians and Russians recovering from this for a long time. It's going to be on sight.

Alix217

Superstar
Daps
Is Azov responsible for the Bucha massacres or what? Seeing a lot of different stories on Twitter.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
I know you know this already, but for the benefit of the audience, reparations to India would be absolutely wild figures. One number I've seen often is $45 trillion and that's just resources taken, not even including repayment for the human cost. They were straight sucking dry a huge-ass nation as much as they could for nearly 200 years. UK would basically have to transfer 1/3 of its GDP to India for 50 years to pay it back.

What did you make of my overall view on India's neutral approach to the conflict?

I think it should be clear that I am not a nationalist. I would say the same thing for all the African countries, too. There is no need to pick a side unless it goes out of its way to recruit you. And equally there is no need to antagonise a side unless it goes out of its way to harm your interests.

This is a First World conflict, it's a First World problem. If they want the rest of the world to join them then they need to make better overtures than appeals to morality and attempts to intimidate/shame developing countries into sanctioning Russia.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What did you make of my overall view on India's neutral approach to the conflict?

I think it should be clear that I am not a nationalist. I would say the same thing for all the African countries, too. There is no need to pick a side unless it goes out of its way to recruit you. And equally there is no need to antagonise a side unless it goes out of its way to harm your interests.

This is a First World conflict, it's a First World problem. If they want the rest of the world to join them then they need to make better overtures than appeals to morality and attempts to intimidate/shame developing countries into sanctioning Russia.

India hasn't been neutral. The same way it's totally understood that it doesn't want to harm is arms interests with Russia, they should also be sober about the blowback coming to them for developing a payment system with Russia to avoid sanctions.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
India hasn't been neutral. The same way it's totally understood that it doesn't want to harm is arms interests with Russia, they should also be sober about the blowback coming to them for developing a payment system with Russia to avoid sanctions.

That is as neutral as India can be. As I mentioned practically all Indian military equipment and weapons are of Russian origin. Who is going to supply spare parts and maintenance for those? Who will provide hardware upgrades and software updates? Only the Russians can, it's their systems. India has to keep an open relationship. That means doing business with them, that means ignoring western sanctions on them.

At the end of the day they are perfectly neutral by any definition of the word. Has a single Indian soldier been deployed to Ukraine? No. That's as neutral as Switzerland.

If the west wants it another way, like I said, easy, just offer to replace everything with western equipment. Free of charge. Or at least at a knock down bargain basement price. Otherwise India cannot defend itself from its many neighbouring enemies. Why must India compromise its own safety in order to protect a third party? And why should India be forced to pay to replace its weapons-system when there is nothing functionally wrong with the system? It only has to be replaced for ideological reasons, not real ones.

Support is a two way street, it's time the west understood that. You support me, I support you back. But they're like Marlo and the security guard. They want it to be one way, but it's the other. Co-op means we stand together and share the good and the bad alike. It's time for the west to share some of that bad amongst themselves in order to extend the good to India and secure its cooperation.

Last edited:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Actually its all equal, there is no justifiable level - which is my point about war being an ugly thing. Right or wrong, everybody involved feels like they're doing what they have to do.

Executing little children is feeling like you are doing "what you have to do"???

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That is as neutral as India can be. As I mentioned practically all Indian military equipment and weapons are of Russian origin. Who is going to supply spare parts and maintenance for those? Who will provide hardware upgrades and software updates? Only the Russians can, it's their systems. India has to keep an open relationship. That means doing business with them, that means ignoring western sanctions on them.

At the end of the day they are perfectly neutral by any definition of the word. Has a single Indian soldier been deployed to Ukraine? No. That's as neutral as Switzerland.

If the west wants it another way, like I said, easy, just offer to replace everything with western equipment. Free of charge. Or at least at a knock down bargain basement price. Otherwise India cannot defend itself from its many neighbouring enemies. Why must India compromise its own safety in order to protect a third party? And why should India be forced to pay to replace its weapons-system when there is nothing functionally wrong with the system? It only has to be replaced for ideological reasons, not real ones.

Support is a two way street, it's time the west understood that. You support me, I support you back. But they're like Marlo and the security guard. They want it to be one way, but it's the other. Co-op means we stand together and share the good and the bad alike. It's time for the west to share some of that bad amongst themselves in order to extend the good to India and secure its cooperation.
You are absolutely right. But as you said, these are first world countries deali g with first world issues. India is currently a nuisance to their objectives.
Be sober. There will be blow back, whether India likes it of not.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
You are absolutely right. But as you said, these are first world countries deali g with first world issues. India is currently a nuisance to their objectives.
Be sober. There will be blow back, whether India likes it of not.

I feel you, you're talking about reality and not about justice. I get that. This topic initially came up a few days ago because some posters were arguing that it was injustice for India to sit it out and to continue doing business with Russia. My post was about that, I was arguing that it wasn't injustice at all