Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Daps
I mean, @mastermind is right about American hypocrisy regarding war criminals, but Biden could never just ship W. to the Netherlands to stand trial, even if he wanted to. Most of that smoke should go to Republicans.

(If you want to make an argument that the standard features of American foreign policy in general makes every POTUS a war criminal, your viewpoint on the above may be different.)

Carl Tethers

@mastermind is OVO
Supporter
Daps
I mean, @mastermind is right about American hypocrisy regarding war criminals, but Biden could never just ship W. to the Netherlands to stand trial, even if he wanted to. Most of that smoke should go to Republicans.

(If you want to make an argument that the standard features of American foreign policy in general makes every POTUS a war criminal, your viewpoint on the above may be different.)

I have no issue with the point made but jumping into this thread in particular to share that opinion is :francis: to me. Western Hypocrisy needs its own thread

Daps
I have no issue with the point made but jumping into this thread in particular to share that opinion is :francis: to me. Western Hypocrisy needs its own thread

Fair enough. I've gone off-topic here myself, so I get that it can happen.

But I do agree that the focus should be on Putin being a war criminal right now in real time, especially since that's the focus of the thread.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I quoted a post in this thread of Biden calling Putin a war criminal. Who tries war criminals? The ICC. Who doesn’t follow the ICC? The US. Who is president of the US? Joe Biden.

It’s within the bounds of this thread.

The_Unchosen_One

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis
Daps
No peace deal without Moscow ceasefire, says Kyiv

Putin playing for time.... Something feels off.

He can't just leave. He took the most massive L a dictator can take outside of actually getting deposed. He looks weak and is rightly paranoid that weakened dictators often get deposed soon enough.

He is trying to figure out how to get out of this while still looking strong, and there is no easy answer there. All the things that he might do (limited nuke strike in Ukraine, shell Kiev to rubble, etc.) will get him cut off economically by everyone, including China, and make him even more a target for being deposed.

He needs to get his forces in the south to take the land that connects Ukraine to the Azov so that he can go home credibly claiming that he took enough land and neutered Ukraine, so at the very least, he is playing for that. If he can get it before a peace deal, he can negotiate to keep it.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The money oligarchs are getting cold feet but the security oligarchs, I believe, are fully I'm board with the military objectives of the war. You gotta realize these are mfers that were in their 30s/early 40s when the Soviet union collapsed and almost overnight they went from being important cogs in a superpower machine to people that had to hustle just to survive. They finally were able to get back into power - they're not going to give it up over sanctions. Money isn't their primary motivation. If it were they would've gone the Abramovich/Deripaska route. These are hardcore nationalists. Where I think there's going to be a problem is getting Russia to withdraw from those areas in the east. And honestly the more the media brings up how many Russians have died already, the less likely putin or his potential successor will be will be concede that land.