Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
The whole world running a neg train on Russia.

This is a pivotal development with implications in this interconnected world of today. We’re seeing in real time how most of the world powers can quickly move to geopolitically and economically isolate and marginalize a nation who gets too out of pocket.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
I do not know if the comparison makes sense but in the 2003 Iraq War, Baghdad fell a month into the invasion and a after a week of battle in the city.

This may be a good point of reference to assess the curent progress of Russia's invasion, knowing that :
1. Ukraine's infantry is better than the Iraqis
2. Russia's technological superiority to Ukraine is relatively lower to US/UK superiority to Iraq
3. Iraq's army was outnumbering the invader by 4 to 1 (including reserve) which is more than 3 to 1 of Ukraine.
4. Weather for this war is winter/snow though it's only a week earlier.
5. Way less indirect ally support for Iraq than Ukraine has

There may be more divergences obviously but on the scale of operations and overall strategy, i see plenty of similarities and it seems to be the closest war we can compare to :
- Kurds being the local support like Belarus and Donbass/Lougansk separatists are
- Pincer strategy from 3 fronts
- Air superiority by the invader (Russia seems to be less efficient though)

With that in mind, I think it's probably too early to judge Russia's advance as the time frame to take Kiev should probably be a couple of weeks at least. We are having an orgy of information every hour since it's started but realistically most are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and we may not yet get the proper bigger picture. I think next week, we'll probably see clearer.
motivation to fight between iraqi armed forces and ukrainian armed forces also appears to be a major discrepancy so far

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
African Union always looks goofy on the world stage playing doja to Europeans while they never take a day off to disrespect or destabilize in return. It’s pretty interesting too given some African countries recent posturing towards Moscow because of their own irritation with with countries like France.

I’m sure the desire to get Europe off their neck is still there but I can’t imagine they still view Putin as an option. I could be wrong tho and it could encourage Moscow to pivot even more towards Africa.
This is why I can only be so concerned about this entire thing outside of my interest in it from a political standpoint.

One more

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps

:francis: wish the sanctions could be more targeted to oligarchs and seizing their overseas assets and closing their bank accounts and visas. I'm concerned about this economic carpet bombing. I guess the aim is to provoke enough domestic misery within Russia that a popular uprising occurs, but that is an incredibly dangerous plan. Russia still has the largest stockpile of nuclear weapons and is the 9th most populous country in the world, 144 million people about to be immiserated. Volatile mix.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
U have to admit, this country is so gun crazy, no country would try to invade the US. I kinda want a country to try it just for fun