Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
northern kherson campaign ramping up today :lupe:
B0WO9A1.jpg
ML65C6N.jpg
:mjlol:
Thanks, I wish this thread had more maps posted.
It's not easy understanding some of the posts when there are several fronts moving at the same time.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
This whole situation is wild to me. We can all say that Putin miscalculated this and miscalculated that, but he was REALLY close to overrunning the Ukrainian forces and just taking Kyiv. It was only an internal system of corruption and the complete reluctance of party subordinates to report to their superiors about the actual state of the military's readiness and capability. That's what you get with a system built on "Yes" men operating out of fear, they'll just tell you what you want to hear. Also, nothing indicated NATO members' stalwartness in the face of new aggression ( we all know they hit Crimea with the :hubie:).

Now we're in an escalating proxy war in which I don't believe Russia has any hopes of winning due to incompetence and overreach. They will be fielding soldiers who are unmotivated AND now technologically outmatched. Do yall see an off-ramp to this? I don't, and that is concerning. Authoritarian regimes on the scale of Russia can't go quietly into the night, and there is no guarantee that whatever it's replaced with will be any better.
What makes you say Russia was that close to fill its main objectives ? I don't recall seeing Russian troops threatening Kiev like that.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
What makes you say Russia was that close to fill its main objectives ? I don't recall seeing Russian troops threatening Kiev like that.
very early stages. if they didn't get forced into that logistical clusterfukk with the highway, very reasonable to say that they would've had the firepower to strangle out kiev

that shyt came and went though and its never looked like russia retained the ability to muster a real second wind ever since

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This whole situation is wild to me. We can all say that Putin miscalculated this and miscalculated that, but he was REALLY close to overrunning the Ukrainian forces and just taking Kyiv. It was only an internal system of corruption and the complete reluctance of party subordinates to report to their superiors about the actual state of the military's readiness and capability. That's what you get with a system built on "Yes" men operating out of fear, they'll just tell you what you want to hear. Also, nothing indicated NATO members' stalwartness in the face of new aggression ( we all know they hit Crimea with the :hubie:).

Now we're in an escalating proxy war in which I don't believe Russia has any hopes of winning due to incompetence and overreach. They will be fielding soldiers who are unmotivated AND now technologically outmatched. Do yall see an off-ramp to this? I don't, and that is concerning. Authoritarian regimes on the scale of Russia can't go quietly into the night, and there is no guarantee that whatever it's replaced with will be any better.

But they didn't almost take Kyiv. They stacked a caravan of tanks on open roads that got stuck in the mud and bombarded by artillery/drones while Russians awaited orders from the Kremlin. The corruption, command, and incompetence issues you mentioned are why it didn't work, and why they're failing now. Their soldiers have to await direct commands from Moscow because they don't have NCOs on the battlefield. It's why earlier in the war they kept losing generals because those guys have to be on the front line making sure soldiers don't run away or mutiny. It's also why traditionally Russians lose a shyt ton of soldiers in wars/battles.

They've managed to grind down enemies before (Finland) but I just don't see that happening now, with the weapons Ukraine has.

[Something Cool]

Not a Well-Known Member
Daps
Reppin
exorbitant legal fees
Their poor logistics stopped them. If they were able to keep their supply lines together they wouldn’t have stalled and that caravan would’ve been knocking on Kiev's door in a few day's time. That stalling allowed Ukraine time to get the munitions they needed and it provided easy targets. Russia shot itself in the foot. I was trying to say if the Russian army was remotely capable (as they were on paper) they should have easily won this. That was pretty much everyone's consensus when this second invasion started and I was just thinking it's wild how left this conflict went and here we are at Cuban Missle Crisis levels of uncertainty (I don't think he'll do it).

Last edited:

[Something Cool]

Not a Well-Known Member
Daps
Reppin
exorbitant legal fees
But they didn't almost take Kyiv. They stacked a caravan of tanks on open roads that got stuck in the mud and bombarded by artillery/drones while Russians awaited orders from the Kremlin. The corruption, command, and incompetence issues you mentioned are why it didn't work, and why they're failing now. Their soldiers have to await direct commands from Moscow because they don't have NCOs on the battlefield. It's why earlier in the war they kept losing generals because those guys have to be on the front line making sure soldiers don't run away or mutiny. It's also why traditionally Russians lose a shyt ton of soldiers in wars/battles.

They've managed to grind down enemies before (Finland) but I just don't see that happening now, with the weapons Ukraine has.
Right, we’re saying the same thing basically. And you're right, the old Russian Doctrine of attrition will not win this fight against a better-trained Army that is fighting with purpose and has superior weapons.

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
?

they got legit sieged there. i think people have forgotten moments like multiple countries offering to evac zelensky, ukraine reclaiming the surrounding areas and raising the alarm on wild war crimes and mass graves, how they had to restructure everything due to their installations taking massive heat early on, etc.

this has not been ukraine stacking Ws from the start. they got punched in the mouth til russia was dug in right outside

*why that wasn't successful* was due to what you mentioned. but russia was 100% knocking on that door. they couldn't sustain it, pulled back to regroup, and have struggled for any kind of momentum ever since

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
?

they got legit sieged there. i think people have forgotten moments like multiple countries offering to evac zelensky, ukraine reclaiming the surrounding areas and raising the alarm on wild war crimes and mass graves, how they had to restructure everything due to their installations taking massive heat early on, etc.

this has not been ukraine stacking Ws from the start. they got punched in the mouth til russia was dug in right outside

*why that wasn't successful* was due to what you mentioned. but russia was 100% knocking on that door. they couldn't sustain it, pulled back to regroup, and have struggled for any kind of momentum ever since
They were never in the very heart of Kiev though. They were in its outskirts, they bombed the city, there were attempts from Russia to force its defenses but Ukraine resisted fiercely. All in all, I wouldn't say they were close to take it.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
They were never in the very heart of Kiev though. They were in its outskirts, they bombed the city, there were attempts from Russia to force its defenses but Ukraine resisted fiercely. All in all, I wouldn't say they were close to take it.
they were close enough to lay down consistent artillery within kiev's defensive lines and provide close support for armored advances around the clock for several days. they got sieged.

if that highway fukkery never occurred, russia would've had the fuel and ammunition to continue - and ukraine would've went ass up as no support would've got there fast enough. they were less than a week away from going under. significant promised aid wasn't even close to arriving and ukraine believed they were going to be able to rely on air support as well.