Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
they need to do something. can't have russia fukking up the grain supply when they're just some banana republic with poorly maintained nukes.

isn't Turkey obligated to keep ships above a certain size out of the Black Sea during wartime?
will they turn a blind eye to fellow NATO members?

imagine if the UK sends a carrier group into the Black Sea... :ohlawd:

now i'm just talking hoe babble.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Putin getting his Fourth Reich on.
how many new nations will rise from Russia's ashes?

I've heard repeatedly that Russia is poorly set up to be divided. There's too many regions that would be landlocked in awkward ways or extremely people-poor or resource-poor. Don't know how true it is but it is wild how that region has pretty much been an enormous territory centrally controlled for a very very long time. I can't think of another country that large that has been around nearly as long.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I've heard repeatedly that Russia is poorly set up to be divided. There's too many regions that would be landlocked in awkward ways or extremely people-poor or resource-poor. Don't know how true it is but it is wild how that region has pretty much been an enormous territory centrally controlled for a very very long time. I can't think of another country that large that has been around nearly as long.
Why is Russia so sparsely populated? - Russia Beyond

the vast majority are on the Western border nut hugging the EU and NATO :skip: much in the same way Canadians nut hug the U.S. border. it's a disturbing phenomenon that i personally find provocative.

Population Density of Canada. - Maps on the Web

anyway, i didn't come in here to say that Canada should be kicked out of NATO or that we should shell Southern Canadian cities.

dividing up Russia would be awkward but the vast majority of that bytch is void of human life. it's just land and untapped recourses. with an actual functioning government and minimal corruption even a newly minted landlocked nation could do well for itself.

but seriously Canada, it's creepy.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Decent comp, but I think China was divided into different dynasties for most of its history. Also, Russia is about 2x as large as China.

I should admit that both Russian history and Chinese history are things I know little about. But if I had to guess then I imagine it would be easier to sub-divide China into separate self-governing regions than it would be to sub-divide Russia.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Decent comp, but I think China was divided into different dynasties for most of its history. Also, Russia is about 2x as large as China.

I should admit that both Russian history and Chinese history are things I know little about. But if I had to guess then I imagine it would be easier to sub-divide China into separate self-governing regions than it would be to sub-divide Russia.

all i'm saying is that nations get landlocked everyday.
it's gonna be interesting.

Superstar
Daps
Be patient with expectations. These past couple of weeks and upcoming months are going to be the real taste of the outcome for what will probably end by next January.

This where both sides have locked in and heart/wisdom are most important. The eastern situation looks kind of like the battle of the bulge but Russia can still apply pressure in the north (and is probably building toward just that.) Ukraine still has massive amounts of reserves, training and rotating in and out of units in the east. I expect a big counterpunch from them next month.

I expect Russia to continue to try haymakers to try and break through at severodontesk. They are at risk of allowing themselves to be split in the middle by putting so many resources there. They are also chewing themselves up.

Again, it’s natural to pick a side (even though I don’t understand vaping for Russia. They aren’t there for any Nazi’s they were dealt with long before the invasion. They would loot a rape you and yours if they could) don’t get too emotionally invested. Take days off, don’t get to deep into twitter or yt. If something happens give it a day or two to settle out. War is extremely kinetic and whole days can come down to a single tiny piece of metal flying on way or the other. Lasting results will tell the story. We don’t live in a narrative, only our memories are a story.

Try not to stress about the large scale lines. Think of combat as two football teams, constantly in play, both acting as offense and defense at the same time. Now think of tens of thousands of these teams running various plays to outsmart each other (tactics) with an overarching game plan in mind (strategy), at the same time, 24/7.

I am confident Russia will end up close to its own border but, I also suspect it will be after someone else says fukk it and physically steps in to buffer kyiv.

This is the best opportunity for everyone to learn what combat looks like in a visual context. It’s an especially great example of how a smaller force can hold off an exponentially larger force, and why resources (human and material) are king. Take note of unit types, what their strengths/weaknesses are and their locations will make sense. Also makes friends with a P-8 pilot or two, and anyone getting rotated to Poland.

Keyboard militants: Always keep in mind that you may have to do this one day. You should be taking notes. It’s near impossible to learn all the little nuances you need to learn how to succeed in a fighting organization, against a “trained”/organized enemy unless you join someone’s military in a combat capacity. A coli post can’t save your subdivision from a determined, organized force with murder and rape on their minds. No one is going to be able to train you, at the last second, how to shoot, move, and communicate. They would have to potentially babysit you and it would make them less effective defenders. You’d likely be hiding amongst women in children. If truly being able to defend a community is your passion you need to sign up somewhere or at least find a private organization that can train you on basic stuff.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Be patient with expectations. These past couple of weeks and upcoming months are going to be the real taste of the outcome for what will probably end by next January.

This where both sides have locked in and heart/wisdom are most important. The eastern situation looks kind of like the battle of the bulge but Russia can still apply pressure in the north (and is probably building toward just that.) Ukraine still has massive amounts of reserves, training and rotating in and out of units in the east. I expect a big counterpunch from them next month.

I expect Russia to continue to try haymakers to try and break through at severodontesk. They are at risk of allowing themselves to be split in the middle by putting so many resources there. They are also chewing themselves up.

Again, it’s natural to pick a side (even though I don’t understand vaping for Russia. They aren’t there for any Nazi’s they were dealt with long before the invasion. They would loot a rape you and yours if they could) don’t get too emotionally invested. Take days off, don’t get to deep into twitter or yt. If something happens give it a day or two to settle out. War is extremely kinetic and whole days can come down to a single tiny piece of metal flying on way or the other. Lasting results will tell the story. We don’t live in a narrative, only our memories are a story.

Try not to stress about the large scale lines. Think of combat as two football teams, constantly in play, both acting as offense and defense at the same time. Now think of tens of thousands of these teams running various plays to outsmart each other (tactics) with an overarching game plan in mind (strategy), at the same time, 24/7.

I am confident Russia will end up close to its own border but, I also suspect it will be after someone else says fukk it and physically steps in to buffer kyiv.

This is the best opportunity for everyone to learn what combat looks like in a visual context. It’s an especially great example of how a smaller force can hold off an exponentially larger force, and why resources (human and material) are king. Take note of unit types, what their strengths/weaknesses are and their locations will make sense. Also makes friends with a P-8 pilot or two, and anyone getting rotated to Poland.

Keyboard militants: Always keep in mind that you may have to do this one day. You should be taking notes. It’s near impossible to learn all the little nuances you need to learn how to succeed in a fighting organization, against a “trained”/organized enemy unless you join someone’s military in a combat capacity. A coli post can’t save your subdivision from a determined, organized force with murder and rape on their minds. No one is going to be able to train you, at the last second, how to shoot, move, and communicate. They would have to potentially babysit you and it would make them less effective defenders. You’d likely be hiding amongst women in children. If truly being able to defend a community is your passion you need to sign up somewhere or at least find a private organization that can train you on basic stuff.

i'm not trying to get caught up in some militia with questionable ideas and goals, breh...

Fuck All That GIFs | Tenor

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
i'm not trying to get caught up in some militia with questionable ideas and goal, breh...

fukk All That GIFs | Tenor
Lol that was more for the “why can’t THEY do this in ____” (insert country in different situation)….. “I don’t care about either side anyway cause I won’t fight in _____’s war”…. “Somebody needs to do something (two hot topics later) “I wouldn’t waste my life on ____” crowds.

None of this stuff is new. It may feel surreal because we read about it in the history books, and the solutions seem simple. Everything keeps happening in cycles. Anything could happen at any given moment. I know it helps people cope with things by thinking in terms of an overarching narrative but hundred of thousands of people are engaged in combat, worldwide, at any given moment. Millions of people die, everyday, after saying “this could never happen to me”.

I’m relatively old, but I still know where I work best in a wedge, I can still react correctly to a near/far ambush, I still retain lessons from fighting in an urban setting, and I contemplate daily how to angle my defense if my subdivision was attacked in different scenarios.