Russian Doll is incredible!

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
For those who have seen is, what do you think the ending means/represents?

I think there are themes of existentialism, do we control our fate or not, choice, carpe diem, etc. These two people got to live and die a ton of times. They both at points, acquiesced to the rest of their lives not meaning anything and whatever they did from moment to moment being inconsequential. Then they started thinking about the multiple timelines they might be creating and that their actions might affect the loved ones from that time line grieving over them. Finally, actual introspective analysis happened. It's a fascinating progression to watch, honestly. The plants and fruits dying around them, fish disappearing, mirror's dissapearing(one of my favorite metaphor sin the second half), people dissapearing; time waits for no one even though you seem to be getting all the time in the world. But they don't get to live lives of knowing what they went through together. Each has to take that knowledge and impart it on the troubled, other universe counterpart that didn't go through it.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Show is so deep. Themes, Symbolism, Arc, Character development is A+. This show is going to take off. I can't imagine what this show would be on HBO.

For those who have seen is, what do you think the ending means/represents?

This article I think does a good job in breaking down the ending and pointing out some things you might have missed at first glance.
Russian Doll's Ending Explained

I had some similar questions too concerning the ending after watching the season. Have to say I really enjoyed it, considering I watched the whole thing in a day and I normally don't go through series like that :ehh:. The episode length and pace were really good and left me :jbhmm:about how things would progress.

Really funny and insightful at times.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
It was good. Alvin was definitely needed when they brought him in because I was growing tired of Nadia. Had to watch the ending twice to understand it, but definitely binge worthy.

My only real critique is that it seemed to almost be a antimental health spiel where both characters could have used actual professional help but instead the power of friendship pulled them through

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I think there are themes of existentialism, do we control our fate or not, choice, carpe diem, etc. These two people got to live and die a ton of times. They both at points, acquiesced to the rest of their lives not meaning anything and whatever they did from moment to moment being inconsequential. Then they started thinking about the multiple timelines they might be creating and that their actions might affect the loved ones from that time line grieving over them. Finally, actual introspective analysis happened. It's a fascinating progression to watch, honestly. The plants and fruits dying around them, fish disappearing, mirror's dissapearing(one of my favorite metaphor sin the second half), people dissapearing; time waits for no one even though you seem to be getting all the time in the world. But they don't get to live lives of knowing what they went through together. Each has to take that knowledge and impart it on the troubled, other universe counterpart that didn't go through it.

This article I think does a good job in breaking down the ending and pointing out some things you might have missed at first glance.
Russian Doll's Ending Explained

I had some similar questions too concerning the ending after watching the season. Have to say I really enjoyed it, considering I watched the whole thing in a day and I normally don't go through series like that :ehh:. The episode length and pace were really good and left me :jbhmm:about how things would progress.

Really funny and insightful at times.

I have some very deep thoughts about this show that's going to take some time for me to type out. One part I will say to get the ball rolling is that the concept of the show is designed to be like a video game. Nadia is a game code developer, which kind of gives you a clue as to how the story is structured. I think it can be said that, without diving deeper into the philosophical question being asked, is that what would you do if reality was like a videogame. You start the game, you have to figure out ways not to die, and each time you done you start back at the beginning. Each time you know what will happen but you don't know the consequences of each decision you make. The further you go without dying and making sense of the game, the more you learn, so that next time you know what to and what not to do. I felt symbolically that the parade was akin to the credits when beating a game. I think the homeless man and his community are involved into the creation of the game, and the reward for beating the game is joining them. Symbolically this can represent them leaving purgatory and being allowed to go to the after life. Some people think that the timeline split for them to help save the other person's life. I think that's part of it, but the aim isn't if they can truly save them, with failing to do so resulting in the other person's death. I think the aim is to do enough so that the other person can make a choice. And so, their counterparts in each time line have to overcome their current problems, without knowledge of the result, by simply making a true choice. The professor gave it away early on when he said that he wasn't the choice, but the hole where the choice should be. He said that in response to Al asking why his girlfriend chose him over Al. What that means is that before the game started, the characters weren't truly making a choice to do this, but rather going in the same circuitous path to avoid making one. Simply being, Beatrice could have chose that guy, but really she just made a decision to not be with Al, not really choosing to be with the teacher. It's asking a question whether we are making the choice, or maybe not making the choice, to control of our own lives. So the end is basically the testing of the unknowing character into making a different choice. They each had to take a leap of faith and choose to do something different. I don't think it's about being successful in convincing the other, I think it's just about making an attempt to do so.

Anyways I have way more on this to write, but this is my take on the gist of the show. I truly believe the creators of the show came up with the concept of the show while playing videogames. They may have even been discussing a philosophical questjon and then realized it's kind of like a videogame--a game of Life and death.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City

Actually, rewatch the ending the Nadia and Alvin who emerge are the Looping versions. You can tell by what they are wearing

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It was good. Alvin was definitely needed when they brought him in because I was growing tired of Nadia. Had to watch the ending twice to understand it, but definitely binge worthy.

My only real critique is that it seemed to almost be a antimental health spiel where both characters could have used actual professional help but instead the power of friendship pulled them through
I think their aversion to seeking professional help was realistic as hell though. People hate to think they're not in control of their own mind or that they're "crazy". shyt, in the black community mental health is still kind of a taboo topic(though it's getting better). Granted, they're both millenials, and that's a generation where people became a lot more open to the idea of therapy and mental wellness.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Actually, rewatch the ending the Nadia and Alvin who emerge are the Looping versions. You can tell by what they are wearing
I peeped the merge at the end but I personally rather think of it as an artistic ending shot as opposed to the timelines actually merging. I like the idea of all the timelines they created existing and the two "aware" characters being paired with "unaware" counterparts. I fukk with @Thatrogueassdiaz idea of the video game structure of the show,and could see the "aware" Nadia and Alan being cheat codes or guides for their respective partners in their world.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
We
I peeped the merge at the end but I personally rather think of it as an artistic ending shot as opposed to the timelines actually merging. I like the idea of all the timelines they created existing and the two "aware" characters being paired with "unaware" counterparts. I fukk with @Thatrogueassdiaz idea of the video game structure of the show,and could see the "aware" Nadia and Alan being cheat codes or guides for their respective partners in their world.
I think it's an artistic ending too. I think once the writers got to the end of writing the show they weren't sure what they had just written. I think they slowly realized they could go into a shyt ton of directions if there is a season 2, so they created a vague artistic ending, giving them room to work with if they write another season. I read an interview where the creator stated that they originally pitched 3 seasons to the show. The creator also said they didn't know how to end it because they didn't know what it was. So like they knew they created something great and then were like "oh shyt. This turned out much different than we anticipated. It's great but were not sure what we want to do." It's like doing a job and expecting to get paid $50, but instead you're paid $1000 :gladbron: and you dont know what you want to do with the money.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I miss my cat.
:francis:

My son be like, "just get another one dad."
:stopitslime:

and I be like, "fukk Off you brat!! NO!"
:hhh:

That taxi smashed American Pie shorty!
:russ:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
on 2nd ep. this shyt is stoooopid!!
:mjlol:

on some real shyt tho, American Pie shorty low key plays great a$$hole/sarcastic ass characters.
:ehh:

i never fukked a chick with red hair.
:jbhmm:
wonder if my girl would let me fukk a chick with red hair.
:patrice:

But where do I find chicks with red hair??
:jbhmm:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It's like doing a job and expecting to get paid $50, but instead you're paid $1000 :gladbron: and you dont know what you want to do with the money.
Henny and hoes:mjlit:

I'm perfectly fine with this being a one off. I honestly don't see where they could or would even need to go to from here:manny: