Russia now demands gas be purchased in Rubles, not the US dollar

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
That is true, but the recent sanctions are unprecedented.

The conditions from back then are not the same as today. Decades ago the US national debt was not $30T, times are different. The US is a falling share of global GDP.

Decades ago China was not the economic giant it is today.

These are the realities of today, even Biden said there will be a new world order that will soon form. Power dynamics are changing globally and prior assumptions will be reviewed (Military alliances, methods of payment etc).

Breh that debt don't mean shyt at all

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
I would imagine it might just be because Russia has those same missiles pointed at major European cities? :francis:

Using rubles for contract settlement doesnt mean they are trying to make the ruble a reserve currency. They're basically just forcing anyone buying their oil to backstop their currency thus its not going to lose much more value due to sanctions. Timing is not in Russia's favor. The cold ass winter is almost over so the high demand for gas/oil is no where near its peak. IF this shyt lasts into next winter, EU will have to replace Russian production or Russia will have an enormous amount of leverage while EU freezes.
If I were in Europe I'd look at ways to add a fireplace to my crib...if that is even possible.

If I were going to buy a home over there..better make sure it has a fireplace.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what was the game plan to. be? Go to war, let Russia ransack eastern Europe. This was a long play, by the Chinese. May work, may not. The world continues to turn.

mykey

Superstar
Daps
We all know what happened to Gaddafi after trying to replace petro-dollar with Gold.

Last week the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) agreed that they'll use their currencies for trade without the US dollar.
It wasn't BRICS, it was the Eurasia Economic Union + China

NYVTanb.jpeg

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
India and China are getting closer. This whole Ukrainian war is reshaping the world.

If Europe moves to renewables faster than expected you think China and India are going to just stand around sucking up dirty gas fumes to “show the west”?

They’ll ditch Russia’s oil and keep it moving like they don’t owe Russia to stay on fossil fuels.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s better now actually that it’s hot in winter. It’s better for the Russians I mean not the Europeans.

If the threat of looming price rises on innocent European people was more front and Center, there might be more political will to escalate this conflict on the NATO end. Russia doesn’t seem interested in punishing the West back for sanctions. They would today sell their oil to the US if the US would take it. Their end game here is to actually attack the power itself of the European leaders by threatening their own legitimacy. How can Johnson or Macron justify bankrupting their citizens for a policy that most people could care less about? The reason why the Cold War was popular was there was really no sacrifice needed in the West by the citizenry at large. Now an ideological conflict with Russia hurts regular people and threatens the liberal democratic institutions from the inside… that’s why I’ve been posting Tucker he understands this from the pro US imperialism perspective. This is actually a smart move from Putin overall but let the band play.

Yeah. This is just an ideological conflict. :mjlol:

You have the idea that what's yours is yours and what's mine is mine. I have the idea that what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine. Let's not let these ideological differences drive conflict between us. :troll:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
If Europe moves to renewables faster than expected you think China and India are going to just stand around sucking up dirty gas fumes to “show the west”?

They’ll ditch Russia’s oil and keep it moving like they don’t owe Russia to stay on fossil fuels.

Not sure how that would stop India or China. Most of heavy industry and manufacturing is run with fossil fuels (which is honestly where most of the emissions come from). Only way you're going to get heavy industry to "go green" is to switch to Nuclear energy, but we already know Western powers don't want widespread adoption of nuclear energy.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Not sure how that would stop India or China. Most of heavy industry and manufacturing is run with fossil fuels (which is honestly where most of the emissions come from). Only way you're going to get heavy industry to "go green" is to switch to Nuclear energy, but we already know Western powers don't want widespread adoption of nuclear energy.
We are never going to be 100% off fossil fuels but just like coal became an industry of just a handful instead of coal barons of great influence.

Once the west moves off fossil fuels, the million barrels a day era goes with it. Instead of needing several countries for the world, India and China aren’t going to be beholden to Russia.

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
Yeah. This is just an ideological conflict. :mjlol:

You have the idea that what's yours is yours and what's mine is mine. I have the idea that what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine. Let's not let these ideological differences drive conflict between us. :troll:
Is the only issue between Russia and NATO the Ukraine/border expansions or are there other issues? Isn’t Joe Biden talking about food shortages in the US? He is going to try and pin that, the gas prices, and inflation on Russia and it’s not going to work, giving Russia the upper hand when going against them is going to be seen as counter intuitive for the American people. They are trying to position themselves globally as the moral authority that’s the problem for you guys. Most people in the West are apathetic about this whole situation, and the overwhelming majority are not in a position to sacrifice for the Ukranie crisis, which is what the NATO leaders are hoping for. It’s unraveling the WEST not Russia.